Thursday, 16 January 2014

DIY Modesty Panel

Now... I can just hear you saying, 'What on earth is a Modesty Panel?' Let me explain. If you are a female reading this you would have noticed that a lot of necklines are very low cut these days and require a Cami Top to be worn underneath. You may also have noticed that Australia is in the middle of a very hot summer and it is just too hot to be wearing two layers of clothing, so here is the alternative...make a Modesty Panel/Mock Camisole!




Firstly go through your old T-shirts or camisoles....
 ....and check the hemline of one that you want to use and see if it is suitable and not too worn out. Then with the hemline at the top, cut out a piece of your T-shirt or cami measuring 8 inches (20cm) across at the top, 7 inches (18cm) down, and approximately 5 inches (13cm) at the bottom edge. The following photo makes the top of the panel look crooked but it isn't really.


It is easier to see what to do with the white panel. This is an old one I made several years ago and it is still going strong. Once you have cut out your panel then zigzag around the edge. This isn't seen at all. Then cut two pieces of elastic approximately 2 1/4 inches (6cm). This will wrap around your bra strap so take this into consideration when cutting your elastic as you may want to make it longer if you have a wider strap.




Now, you will need some hook and loop Velcro. Cut two pieces approximately 3/4 inch (2cm), one piece for each side. Then separate one piece, lay the elastic 3/4 inch (2cm) from the top side edge then lay one piece of Velcro over it and sew both onto the knit fabric. It can get a bit tricky sewing Velcro depending on your sewing machine and you might have to sew it on by hand. Just make sure that the stitching won't come undone. Then add the corresponding piece of Velcro onto the other end of the elastic.



Repeat on the other side. That's it! Then you just have to insert the panel into your top, wrap the elastic around your bra strap and stick the two pieces of Velcro together. You might need to experiment a little to get the right length of elastic and Velcro to suit your bra strap as I mentioned before.





You could also add lace if you liked the look. This is a panel I bought quite a while ago but I didn't like the lace at the top so have never worn it. Instead of Velcro and elastic it attaches to the bra strap using suspenders (like we used to use to keep our stockings up when we were teenagers in the 1960s and before panty hose appeared in the shops). However, I didn't feel that they would stay done up so opted for the elastic and Velcro instead and have never had any problem with it coming undone.
So there you have it. A much cooler way to cover up instead of wearing two layers of clothes. These are quick and easy to make so do you think you will give it a try? Let me know what you think!

  


20 comments:

  1. Brilliant! I read of this some time ago elsewhere but thank you for the reminder! Very easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are certainly easy to make, Ree. I have them in a few colours to match different tops.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea! I have a cami on today and luckily its not too hot here. Great tutorial Nanna Chel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanya, the cooler weather is great eh? I am really enjoying it at the moment.

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of fastening to bra straps, but I have to say that I have not noticed lower necklines, even though I do not shop or buy tops, so I probably have to accept that I know nothing about this.

    I am old enough to remember fake turtle necks, and the like. They were called dickies, and they went around your neck and hung down under the neckline of your dress or top. It was like you could have the fashion of the turtle neck sweater without the bulk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes J, I was thinking of those fake turtle necks too as I used to have one when I was young. Obviously we are of the same vintage :-) Perhaps you don't have as many low cut tops over there due to the cool weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea - I have seen them sewn into a top but never hooked to your bra so you could wear with more than one top! I will definitely try this when I pull out the summer tops. I'm sure I was less worried about low cut tops before the skin on my chest started looking like the stuff on my neck! Now I button up to be kind to others! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy I had to smile at your comment. Suddenly my décolletage (love that word) is no longer springy and lush and as I don't want to frighten the children and the dogs in the street by exposing it with low cut dresses this is the perfect answer!

      Delete
  6. Ha ha, Kathy. Don't worry about your skin. It happens to everyone eventually. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. ...and much cooler than wearing two layers, Alison.

      Delete
  8. What about the bottom of the panel? Does it stay down?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never had a problem with the bottom not staying down. Give it a try and see how it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea, thank you! Im going to try it.
    Mary
    San Diego, CA

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi chel, i agree about the low necklines., and even the camis seem to be low cut. i have come across your post from searching to buy some online, but the idea of using the bottom of another garment is a really good one and i might run up my own too :). jo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes Jo, they are easy enough to make and mine sit well. I don't have any problem with them at all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea - can't wait to get home and try this out. I cannot find modest panels in any of the shops, so I have to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love mine and I love my dickies too like an other person commented about

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like this idea! I've wondered how to do it. Thanks for the tutorial.

    In reply to your comment at Harvest Lane Cottage,
    Yes, Nanna, it made me feel very vulnerable. I'm still hoping for a refund. Strange that we would get the same flus when we are so far apart, isn't it?

    Thanks for "talking back". Do you know that your comments come through to my email as a "no reply blogger"? If you'd like to get direct responses to your comments more often, you might like to know how to change that. I wrote about it in this blog post.

    http://harvestlanecottage.blogspot.com/2015/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html

    If you're like me, you don't have time to go back and check on other blogs to see if you've gotten a response to your comment. I sometimes can take time to track down commenters, but I'm usually short on time.

    ஐღLauraღஐ

    ReplyDelete
  16. My daughter is a teacher. So I bought different colored, $2 girls jersey camis, and made her 3 of these from your pattern. She loves them and they are awesome! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...