Thursday 14 August 2014

A Vintage Present for a Vintage Lady

A few weeks before my recent birthday I asked my daughter not to buy anything for me but to just send some of my granddaughters' drawings. Once one reaches my age there really isn't anything material that is needed (although my electric frypan just blew up last night and will have to be replaced). Maintaining good health and keeping contact with friends becomes more of a priority than accumulating more 'stuff'. However, true to form, my girl wasn't going to let my birthday pass without giving me a present so she made me a vintage ruffled apron and a cushion cover in the same vintage fabric.


When the parcel arrived in the mail I was sure that she had been naughty and bought something regardless and was pleasantly surprised when I opened it to find the handmade items inside. I was surprised as she is a very busy young mum with two little ones who are five and four and is also over six months pregnant. I had a laugh when she told me that she had been making the apron since February but the cushion cover took about five minutes to sew :-)


This cushion cover is really easy to make and the very creative Dana explains how to sew it in just a few minutes in her video 2 ways to sew a pillow - throw pillow and pillow sham.


It would be a great project for someone who is just learning to sew as the instructions are very clear and Dana shows a couple of different ways to make them.


My daughter has always has an eye for colour and she did a great job with matching up the ruffles. 


Don't you love the vintage pattern? I do.

Aprons have come back into fashion and can be quite expensive to buy especially if they are of the ruffled variety. I did a search for ruffled aprons on Pinterest  and came up with some really pretty ones. Just click on the link if you would like to have a look. 

There are links there to a tutorial by Kaboo Creations. This is for a child's apron but it could be adjusted to make a larger one for an adult as is the tutorial from The House of Smiths. Both aprons are very pretty and would bring delight to both a child and adult. Also they are great ideas for Christmas presents.


Currently I have a book on loan from our library called 'The Perfect Apron' by Rob Merrett and there are 35 apron designs in the book. Your local library may have it too. There is a variety of aprons in this book for men, women and children and most of them look fairly easy to make. I only do 'easy' these days! I can't see my husband wearing an apron any time soon but I guess some men do. Not in this household though. 

I was very appreciative that my girl made the effort to sew such a lovely present for my birthday. Sometimes I hear that handmade gifts are looked down upon by some people and I think that that is so sad. However, as budgets tighten I am sure there will be a resurgence of hand crafted presents this coming Christmas. What do you think?
















18 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I have sewing books with vintage-y looking aprons in them but I usually make the unisex BBQ style as it's just easier. Are you sharing the above links on DTE forums? Just thinking of the Christmas List thread :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do when I am on the PC later, Robyn. They are lovely aprons aren't they. Would be great for little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love the fabric and colours of your apron - such a clever girl, your daughter! An apron is another project I could probably tackle but I need to try and finish that strip quilt that I started one day and haven't picked up since! Oops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same Joolz. Too many UFOs to finish off.

      Delete
  4. I dont wear aprons now but when i was little my sister and i always had an apron made for any new dress Mum made so that we could run around and play and not get the dress dirty or torn. For some reason she always made the same outfit in different colours but the aprons brought us back together as matching. I like the green one and find it actually quite french maid! Lovely Post (and happy belated Birthday).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes the green one is very French maid isn't it Lynda? I don't normally wear an apron these days either so l will keep it for a special occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love aprons and have quite a few, your daughter did a great job and such a wonderful gift. i usually make a new one each year and i ware one every day. they are great for in the garden as well especially if it has a pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicole, the book I mentioned has heaps of different types of aprons in it and some of them are for wearing in the garden and I would say that a garden apron would definitely have to have at least one pocket in it. I have never made one for the garden but there is always a first time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for this. I am about to make some cushions for the business, but was a little daunted about sewing in zips, that link was just perfect for me! I used to own ruffle skirts back in the 80's, although they were called ra-ra skirts then :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, I can tell you are making the most of having you mum's sewing machine. You will whip up these cushions up in no time.

      Delete
  9. I love aprons! My daughters are starting to catch the bug too. I have planned to make some new ones this fall/winter. Thanks for sharing these links!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're welcome, Joyful. My granddaughters already have a couple otherwise I would make them one too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely gift, and all the more special because of her limited free time and energy.
    For anyone trying their first apron or making gifts.... you can put a casing, (left open where you would normally attatch neck and waist straps) on the back of the apron on the curvy bit, from the top of the bib to the waist and thread a looong tie strip from waist to top of bib opening , then back down other side of top of bib to other side of waist, you will then have a completely adjustable apron that will fit any size adult or a child (smaller size) for many years , as the neck loop and the waist ties just slide to where they are needed.
    I think this is a really good idea for all aprons but especially ones that have a lot of beautiful detail put into them for growing kids, or anyone who shares aprons in the kitchen.
    An easier way than casing, is to make the apron double sided and just run the stitch line on the curve from bib to waist , with enough space to thread your long tie.......easy and strong for gardening too........have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, Margaret. I have seen those type of aprons online and it is great that they are adjustable. I like the idea of making the apron double sided too.

      Delete
  12. So pretty, ruffles seem so girly and I would be afraid to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha ha Deb. This one will be for special occasions I think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Nanna Chel, I love home made gifts too! The apron and cushion your daughter made you are adorable; I just love all things vintage. I am sure I would of fitted into life more if I had been born in the 40's, however I thank God I was born when I was!
    Thank you, for popping over to my blog and leaving a message it meant a lot to me!!!
    Jilly oxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for popping by, Jilly. I think that what is considered 'vintage' depends on how old one is :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...