Wednesday, 3 February 2016

If I was young again, I wonder if I would have a tattoo....

I know that is a strange title for a blog post but we have had days and days of dreadful humid weather which we are not used to here and eventually the humidity plays with your mind and you start thinking strange thoughts. I was in a shopping centre on Monday while we were escaping the heat for a little while, and I kid you not, every second girl I saw had a tattoo. Some had not just one tattoo but they were all over their legs, some had them right up their arms and so on. I was beginning to think there was a Tattoo convention being held in the upstairs community room where meetings are often held or else they were part of a younger version of a group like the Red Hat Society as I had never seen so many tattooed girls together at one time.  Seeing as having a 'tat' is obviously quite the fashion at the moment, I wondered if I would have had one if I was young these days. If so, the photo taken with my little grandson when he was born would have looked something like this:

Well, perhaps not quite like that. LOL! As well as the tattoos there were the piercings in quite a few places and I am always amazed at how people can cope with having their tongue pierced. Ouch! Then I wonder how you can blow your nose properly when you have metal in your nose. One thought leads to another.

Usually I think to myself that these young people will be sorry they went down this road when they are old and grey and will regret making such a mistake in their youth. However, if the majority of this generation do have tats and piercings, can't you just see them in Nursing Homes when they are in their eighties and nineties with wrinkled skin and wrinkled tats too I imagine. Probably it will be just the norm down the track and not something that will be regretted at all.

Of course, I look at such things from the viewpoint of a person in their late sixties who was growing up at a time when only sailors had tattoos and 'cheap' girls had pierced ears after they had taken to their ear lobes with hot needles.


 


Life was so much simpler then and they seemed (but weren't always as we now know) to be innocent times. We used to holiday at Redcliffe and slide down wooden slippery slides and hope we didn't get a splinter in our bottom. My older brothers probably went down with me to make sure their baby sister made it to the bottom safely.


Our school days were fairly enjoyable apart from getting 'the cuts' if we were naughty and you didn't have to do much to be considered naughty. We would try and stifle our giggles if the teacher would break a ruler on the palm of our hand but there were no giggles when she used the feather duster. My my, that really stung! Today that would be considered to be a form of child abuse I guess but it was just how things were in those days and we just took it in our stride. We have discussed the way we were treated at school in recent class reunions and none of us who have joined in such discussions feel that we suffered any after effects and we certainly learned to behave :-)



When thinking about what it was like when we became teenagers and whether we were influenced by radio, TV (which was only just becoming popular where we lived in the country) and magazines, we definitely were. We were all crazy about the Beatles and I remember when they came to Brisbane they were pelted with eggs. I had a crush on Paul McCartney and I wrote to him and apologised that someone had been so rude. To this day I have no idea where I sent the letter to as there was no internet in those days where I could find out contact details of Fan Clubs etc. A couple of years ago I found out who the culprits were when Bob Katter, a controversial federal politician, confessed in an interview that he and some other Uni students had done the deed. Ha ha! Why am I not surprised!

After leaving school with the majority of our class at 15, jobs were plentiful so we had a few years to save for going overseas which was a goal a lot of us had. Well, going 'overseas'  in those days included going to New Zealand as you didn't need a passport in the 1960s so as soon as we turned 18 a friend and I jumped on a dreadfully rocky ship and endured three days of sea sickness before we arrived in Auckland. The ' thing to do'  was to get a job in one of the tourist hotels which we had organised before we left home. That was a bit of a shock for me as I had never been taught to cook or do housework for some reason so I had to learn very quickly how to make a bed and vacuum the floor properly. I did vacuum up one of the boss's ties at one place we were working. I am not sure if he missed it. Oops!


 In my twenties the Hippy Era was in full swing and while I wasn't part of the counter culture which was pretty wild, the fashions at the time were influenced by it. I was brought up by parents who used to say ' If you can't afford it or pay cash, do without' so all my cars were second hand. Cute though, don't you think?

So after all this looking back and pondering about whether I was influenced by the fashion of the day, I guess I would have to say I was to a certain extent. If tattoos were the norm back then, would I now be sporting one today? I wonder....I guess I will never know. I just hope it cools down soon. My brain needs a rest :-)










27 comments:

  1. lovely as usual I am from the next generation as I was born in the 60's .I can say I have one not saying where and I have pierced ears when in the 70's became popular. This brought me giggles because I remember the Dean of our school when in grade school had a paddle and did use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the paddle was in vogue when my children were at school as well. Thankfully they didn't get it too much.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like we had similar upbringings, free and easy, but still lots of punishment metred out if we did something wrong. Spare the rod, spoil the child was the mantra of the day.

    I think it's sad to see lovely young skin covered in ink. When I think of all the different fads and fashion I went through in my teens and early 20s, from hair, clothes and music, I can't imagine having something inked on my skin that would be there for a lifetime, that I couldn't change when I was over that faze. I heard someone say that they looked like they'd rolled over a wet comic and that's what I think when I see arms and legs covered in tattoos.

    It always seems a form of self-abuse to not only have a needle draw all over the skin, and then to pierce eyebrows, tongue, lips and then there are those rings put in earlobes that get bigger and bigger, ugh!

    I guess I'm showing my age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some of the tats aren't nice at all and certainly not artistic.

      Delete
  3. I do not regret mine. I got it when I had just turned fifty and it was the physical manifestation of the healing body work I had done. I considered it well, and when I was ready, my daughter and I went together.

    It turned out to be a time sort of in the middle of that oh so personal reclaiming of my body from childhood circumstances and whilst I mostly forget that I even have it, sometimes it will show if I wear clothing that exposes it and someone comments on it. Sometimes I catch a glimpse when I am cutting my hair. It is on the left, upper back. I am still glad that I got it and I have been considering a second one. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well J, you knew what you were doing by that age and went into it with your eyes open. I think it is a bit different when you are a teen and get it done and then regret it when you are an adult as it costs a fortune to remove.

      Delete
  4. That is funny! Pete and I often comment on all the tats too, we would never waste money on something like that (I don't even like paying to get my hair cut!). Love your little second hand car :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I loved that little car. My dad was a mechanic so he kept it in good nick.

      Delete
  5. Lol Chel! I wonder this occasionally too, but I think for me, the answer would be 'no'. I respect anyone elses decision to have one, and some are quite beautiful, but not for me. I wonder if anyone ever regrets theirs. I guess they must or the tattoo removal places wouldn't have any business...lol! Great post. Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi, I do know someone who would love to be able to afford to have hers removed but it is very costly. I have never been tempted to have it done I must admit.

      Delete
  6. Hahahaha I'm still seeing a Red hat group but as you said with tatts...But you are right there is so many young woman with them now. I wonder what the next generation of Grannies will look like...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy, I won't be around but I would love to be a fly on the wall of future nursing homes which could be full of little old ladies with tats up and down their arms. LOL!

      Delete
  7. I do love some of the beautiful art on some of the tattoos today, some of them are quite increadable! But I cant say I will ever get one. I have toyed with the idea once, I had a design all worked out that was meaningful, beautiful, and artistic but it was quite detailed and it would need to be done really well and frankly Im too scared to risk it not being!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, I thought that was something you planned to do this year. There is always the risk of infection as you would know as a nurse. Better to be sure than sorry.

      Delete
    2. Oh no Chel, I thought of getting a tattoo but I'm most defiantly not! But I can admire beautiful ones. :) I will be getting my hair dreaded in neat tiny dreads as I have always wanted too but never had the courage. :) Hair grows and can be cut, so it is not permanent when I have had enough. :)

      xx

      Delete
  8. Oh dear, some have so many you can barely see what they are, it is to be hoped that the majority of them are not just phases they are going through. Tats are not cheap and would be expensive to remove.

    When I was finally comfortable with my single life I did consider it, my daughter and I were getting matching ones.....we couldn't decide on exactly what, so we don't have any 😀.....who knows maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, you could get one of someone knitting socks. LOL!

      Delete
  9. If you do get a birdie tattoo I think the colours should be grey and slightly green.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Phil. Trust you to think of that. ;-)

      Delete
  10. I ponder the very same thought Nana Chel. I had my nose pierced when I lived with a Hindu family in Nepal, as a cultural acceptance into their sisterhood. Nose blowing was OK but needed a bit more thought. lol After moving back to Aust I removed the stud and the hole grew over. I'm so relieved that my daughters have chosen not to tattoo and neither have my two step sons, but in the grand scheme of things I guess there are a lot worse things that our young people could do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sally, when children are in their teens it is important to choose your battles wisely and, as you say, there are worse things they could do.

      Delete
  11. What an awesome story and love the pics! I grew up in the '90s grunge era and although I was pretty feverish about a tribal band tattoo that was all the rage, I got through without one. I knew someone who years later was getting laser surgery to remove hers. However my brother has so many tattoos! You and I are called Clean Skins:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are clean skins eh Zena? I think I will be staying that way :-)

      Delete
  12. See now I have always wanted to get a couple tattoos but just never got up the courage. I just might do it fore my 50th birthday. No regrets however I won't be getting my nose or tongue pierced anytime soon. Thanks for sharing your pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a braver person than I am that's for sure.

      Delete
  13. I actually love Tattoo's Chel and i got my first one at around 40 lol i have 3 small ones that you dont really see ( only one) i dont regret getting them and would love to actually get one re-done, im 57 now so maybe for my 60th haha. I dont like full body or sleeve tattoo's much but the odd one done beautifully i think looks amazing :) but thats just me xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of footballers seem to have the sleeve ones. Full body is just ugly I think.,

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...