It all started in the early hours of the morning last week when I was lying awake at 3am unable to go back to sleep and I pondered about whether it was possible to grate an old batch of soap, which I wasn't all that happy with, and add it in separate layers in a new batch with the hope that the heat would melt it and blend it into the new mixture if I wrapped it up after pouring it into the mould. So I had to have a go and see if it would work. I only wanted a small batch so used this recipe:
300g Rice Bran Oil
230g Olive Oil
24g Lemon and Peppermint Essential Oils (My friend kindly gave me some she bought at a garage sale so I used them)
I used the room temperature method once again and poured the lye mixture into the oils which included copha that had been cut into smaller pieces. Once the copha had melted I stirred it all together trying not to bring it to trace too quickly as I wanted to divide the mixture. Once it was blended I added the essential oils, divided it up and poured it into two jugs.
In one jug I added some of the red powder that Annabel had given me to try. I had already mixed this with a couple of tablespoons of oil so that it wouldn't give a speckled result but, for some reason this time, it didn't seem to show any colour at all.
I had used the tip of a skewer like last time which had given a nice apricot colour in my swirled soap so with Annabel's words ringing in my ears once again not to use too much, I added a little tiny bit more and still there was no colour. Well I gave up then and just hoped that there might be a delayed reaction and it would finally end up a light apricot colour once again as I didn't want to end up with red soap.
The original plan was to put dried calendula petals on the top and bottom as I had some soda ash appear on the top of my last batch which I didn't like. Then I was going to pour in some uncoloured soap, followed by a layer of grated blue soap, then a 'pink' layer topped with calendula petals followed by white grated soap and finished off with another uncoloured cream layer. The best laid plans.....
The uncoloured mixture went to trace too soon so then I was in panic mode trying to get it all into the mould quickly so all plans went out the window. I wrapped it all up and let it do its thing overnight. All right...I did take a peek now and again to see what was happening ;-)
The next morning when I took it out of the mould I just knew that the idea I had to grate up the old batch and add it to the new one didn't work. Not only that but the intended light apricot layer was now red with some speckles as well!
Some of the layers separated when I was cutting it so I squeezed them together as much as I could in the hope that they would blend together. I will see how it goes as it hardens but I won't do that again.
I should have followed the advice on The Soap Queen YouTube video and heated the old soap up in a double boiler to rebatch it or used a Crockpot like on Soap Making Essentials. I will know for next time. I guess I could get some Super Glue and glue the layers together. No???? Ha ha!
I have made a couple of little skirts recently which were originally intended to send to Sydney to be put on the container that was going to Fiji to help the cyclone victims as I mentioned in the post Help Needed for Fijian Villagers.
I didn't get them finished in time so sent a monetary donation instead. Thanks to all those who donated to this worthy cause. Our church also took up an offering recently as it has had a long time relationship with a church in Fiji in which 90 homes were destroyed in the disaster. These people were left with nothing in the wake of such a monster of a cyclone.
If anyone is a beginner at sewing, the skirt pictured above is really easy to make and the pattern and instructions can be found for the Lazy Days Skirt on Oliver + S. It would make the little girl in your life very happy I am sure.
I hope everyone has a great week! Enjoy the rain if you are getting any.