Sunday 26 June 2016

A cool walk in the park


We have had a freezing weekend with an icy wind yesterday followed by a morning today which went down to 0C and tempted me to go and sit in the fridge for a while to warm up as I am sure it was warmer in there :-) However, not to be daunted by the cold we soldiered on by heading off to the Farmers Market yesterday and braved the wind to buy some healthy produce.


 

It was a good time to try out my new shopping bag trolley which I bought at the Op Shop last week. I had been looking out for one to use at the market to carry the veggies which get heavy in a bag and saw a couple just as I was leaving the store. I was hoping to buy one that wasn't just a plain colour so when I saw a patterned one I asked the volunteer at the counter how much it cost. 'Aaw $7 will do...naw you can have it for $5' was the reply.



I didn't argue with him even though it looked brand new and never used and when I got it home noticed that it was from IKEA! Bargain! It worked a treat. Of course Sally the chook had to make sure it was acceptable.


 

It is interesting to chat with the farmers and others who sell at the markets. One couple was selling dried rosemary sticks as fire starters which is such a great idea and wouldn't that make your house smell great?

Another informative person we spoke to was Henryka from Farmers Fresh Choice. She makes sauerkraut like nothing I have ever tasted before. She recommended using Macrobiotic Australian sea salt which is made from sea water off the Great Barrier Reef. She is well known in our area for her organic fermented foods and also runs workshops.



We thought we would pop across the road after finishing at the market and take a look at one of our premier parks, Queens Park,  to see how the preparations were going for this years Carnival of Flowers. You can see some of the flowering gardens from last year in this post. 




There were a few roses in bloom but I had to hold the stem to take the photo as they were being blown around in the wind.



All the gardens had been planted out and come September they will be a riot of colour.




I am not sure why but some gardens were covered in netting for some reason. Perhaps something nibbles on them at night.





This year's Carnival of Flowers will be held from 16th to 25th September so if you are planning on visiting our area during that time and intend to stay overnight I would suggest you book your accommodation now as this is a very popular event in our region.

We are in for another drizzly day tomorrow so perhaps the weather bureau was correct when they said it would be a wet winter.

Have a great week everyone!





20 comments:

  1. That windmill reminded my that my late father-in-law used to work for Southern Cross Windmills in QLD in the 1930's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite fascinating, Mr.HM. They are on the grounds of the Cobb and Co Museum.

      Delete
  2. Chel, I can only imagine how cold you must have been this weekend. I finally put a doona/duvet on the bed on the weekend, and even though this meant wrestling a doona/duvet cover over the darn thing, I was happy I did it because the nights did turn chilly. The days however were beautiful especially working in the garden in the warmth of the sun. A shopping trolley is such a good idea for carrying market produce. Yours is very nice looking and such a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri it was dreadful and the house felt like a freezer. Thankfully the cold weather only lasts for three months really but it is getting harder to handle living in this cold house as we get older.

      Delete
  3. Hi Chel, good to hear you enjoyed the market, I was snug at home choosing fabrics from the stash for a new quilt. Treated myself to a large coffee and lunch at Angel cafe while I read some borrowed quilt books for inspiration then home with the fire on to design and start cutting fabric,fun day.
    I hope you are organised to stay in doors today, not going to get any warmer than 9 .......come over for a coffee and play with fabric .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, you aren't very brave! LOL! It actually wasn't too bad at the market as the sun was shining but yesterday was a different matter as is today. Thanks for the offer to come over but the menfolk will be like caged lions inside today so I may have to take one of them out to stay sane. Ha ha!

      Delete
  4. Sally the chook appears so frequently in your posts that i think she deserves a picture on the side or in the header.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda, when I remember how I made my header once again I just might do that. She is a bit of a character.

      Delete
  5. I had never heard of macrobiotic salt before so had to look it up. They also sell roasted crickets, you have the most interesting posts - I always learn something!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I didn't notice that! Really? That sounds yuk! I guess you would eat anything if you were starving though

      Delete
  6. Score!! You really got a good deal on that IKEA shopping bag. Glad Sally approves ;) What pretty roses in such chilly weather. Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, Sally always has to approve of everything. I didn't realise that chooks were so inquisitive.

      Delete
  7. Brrr Nanna Chel! It appears to be very chilly everywhere in Oz at the moment.

    It was freezing here this past weekend. 14C is all it got to on Sunday! Yesterday and today have improved with frosty mornings but sunny days, great for getting the washing dry :)

    Great bargain for the shopping bag trolley, they are excellent for dragging around markets.

    Stay warm,

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tania, our temps the other day were 7C to 9C. Before that we had a day when the apparent temperature was -4 or 6. Can't remember which...all I know is that it was cold even with four layers of clothes on. Today is a lovely winter day with a frosty morning and then sunshine.

      Delete
  8. I have been complaining about the heat for so long Chel that I really can't now complain about the cold! My house is chilly also, as the arc of the sun is at the garage end, and we only get a bit of sun in the early morning into the living room. We have used the reverse cycle air con on heat a few times at night but have been trying to just rug up well. We had visitors from Geelong last weekend for a few days, and they thought it was warm..LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Hutchy. Well I think the 3C you had the other morning would have been a tad chilly for all of you Sunshine Coast locals.

      Delete
  9. Fantastic bargain on the shopping trolley Nana Chel! They are so handy. Your chicken seems to approve.
    It is utterly freezing here today. Unless its me and Im feeling it more than usual. But I think its just really cold plus the wind doesn't help!
    I am keeping busy inside and working on my rug. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it has been cold in lots of places, Annabel. Even in the Outback they had one morning which was colder than here and my son-in-law was not happy as he doesn't like the cold :-)

      Delete
  10. Chel, I know we have a very cheeky Bush Turkey here that is feasting on my rosebushes...grrrrr. Those flower beds would be rather delectable for them! Your shopping trolley is a real find, and as for Sauerkraut...well my Nanna made the best ;-) Sadly she's long gone and I never had her recipe. I'll search out the salt, and see if I can recreate something better than 'just edible'...lol! Love the roses! Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi, not all the beds were covered which had us intrigued. My hubby thought that perhaps rabbits were eating the plants as apparently they are making a comeback in Queensland once again.

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...