Thursday 23 June 2016

Harvesting ginger and turmeric

Last year we planted some ginger from the veggie shop in two large pots as we thought they had more chance of growing where I watered regularly than 'down the back' where it would be forgotten. Seeing as it is the time of the year to dig it up I did just that this week.


Firstly though I dug up the little patch of turmeric and, as it turned out, we have two types growing...a yellow one and an orange one. I didn't know we had an orange one but when the CEO saw I had dug up the other lot he remembered that he had planted some last year 'somewhere' ;-) Eventually he found it but there wasn't much which isn't surprising considering it wouldn't have been watered very much. So I washed it all before taking the skin off ....




...and slicing it before processing it to go into the freezer.



Today I took it out of the freezer and was a bit disappointed I hadn't read the instructions for how to freeze ginger beforehand otherwise I would have frozen the turmeric the same way which you can read about below. Instead I thawed it for a little while so I could cut it and then ....



....cut it up into cubes which can be added to meals, tea etc. It will be handy to have on hand when making Golden Milk this winter. I know I should use turmeric a lot more than I do as it has so many health benefits and if you are interested you can read several articles on this I Quit Sugar page.




With the turmeric out of the way it was time to harvest the ginger. Underneath all the green of the Herb Robert plants that are growing absolutely everywhere at the moment there is a pot of ginger. As I mentioned earlier we had ginger planted in two pots this year. 



I was very pleased with how much had grown and after it was washed and the bits and pieces cut off we ended up with 1.3kg! Not bad for two pots. I had done some reading on a few blogs beforehand to see which method was best for freezing the ginger and it was mentioned several times to use a spoon for skinning which I did and it worked really well. One blogger said you don't need to take the skin off if it is organically grown ginger and just to clean it up and dry it first.



I had read a couple of blogs with tips on how to prepare the ginger for freezing including Meatified where the ginger is grated and then blended with coconut oil and put on a parchment lined baking tray and flash frozen although I am not sure what flash freezing is.





I followed the advice on Omnivore's Cookbook and cleaned up the ginger and put it in the food processor.




Then put some in a ziplock bag and pressed it down to form a thin sheet which makes it easy to snap a piece off when wanting to use some for cooking. The bags are then put in the freezer on a flat surface.




So now the turmeric and ginger are out of the way and there is just the Red Galangal to harvest although I just read in that link that it can be harvested most of the year rather than harvesting the whole crop. The leaves are still green so I will see if they die off like the ginger and turmeric. It is growing in a pot but I did plant some in the ground but it was covered by dahlias when they were flowering so it didn't do very well.




I will have to find a patch of ground where there are no dahlias growing which will be difficult :-) The CEO is a fan of dahlias and if you have been reading here for a while you would have seen them in several posts. They are very pretty I must admit but you can't eat them like turmeric, ginger and galangal. LOL!

If you grow those plants how do you preserve your harvest? 




19 comments:

  1. Hi Chel, this post is so useful to me as on my permaculture design for my property I am going to develop a food forest toward the front of the property and will be growing ginger and tumeric there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should grow really well where you live, Sherri. It would be much warmer up there. Check out Jeff Heriot's YouTube videos of his harvest. He lives on the Sunshine Coast and gets an amazing harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting, it looks so different to the bought stuff....Oh, and I love that fluted teaspoon too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr.HM, I have no idea where that teaspoon came from. Hubby probably bought it at an Op Shop. Things just 'appear' around here :-)

      Delete
  4. Hi Chel, I have just frozen ginger whole and when I need some I just use a microplane and grate it frozen - works a treat! Plus no extra treatment required!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, on one of the blogs I read that was a suggestion too.

      Delete
  5. Nanna Chel, I grow both ginger and turmeric and my favorite way to preserve them after harvesting and cleaning is to chop and dehydrate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patsi, I don't have a dehydrator at the moment but it would be a good investment.

      Delete
  6. I have thought of growing both of these and was interested to see your methods. Thanks for the references to other sites as well, I do like to know what is going on before I jump into something new - in theory anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try, Kathy although I am not sure what would happen in your winter.

      Delete
  7. We've also managed to grow a bit of both ginger and turmeric here in the Barossa. I never thought it possible outside of the tropics, but it's growing quite well in selected spots in the garden. I'm too lazy (or pressed for time) to process it though, so I simply freeze it whole, after washing well. It's easy to take a piece out of the freezer as I need it, grate a bit off and replace in freezer. Keep in a plastic ziplock bag or glass containers. My daughter in Victoria, makes this most delicious Golden Chai, served with cracked pepper on top, (to make the curcumin more bio-available apparently).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great that you can grow it down there Sally. I found that washing it well enough was the big challenge. I forgot about the fact that pepper is good to add.

      Delete
  8. Hi Nanna Chel,

    I would love to grow my own and was wondering how long it takes to grow and did you just buy it from the store and plant? Thanks! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, we just planted some bought at the veggie shop but you can buy it from Green Harvest at Maleny. I just checked their website and they say to plant it in spring and harvest about 9 months later. I should have read that before as I planted some today and it said not to plant it in cold and wet soil and it is very cold here today and is going to rain overnight. Oops! I will have to plant some more in spring.

      Delete
  9. Hi Nanna Chel,

    Thank you for this post, it has been very helpful :)

    I am attempting to grow ginger, although it is looking a bit sad at the moment because I have been away for a month and not sure if our son watered it enough. Will have to wait and see. Maybe it just doesn't like the cold.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tania, it will die off in winter. Did you dig any up to check under the soil?

      Delete
  10. Gosh I hadn't even thought about harvesting, chopping and freezing tumeric and ginger. I have heaps of both growing and just dig in and break a bit off if I need it. Must try the golden milk this week - thanks for the link Chel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I could do that as well but tend to forget it is growing around the place :-) The Golden Milk tastes really nice so do give it a try.

      Delete
  11. When I am well again I'll plant some ginger and turmeric as we use it a lot. What a lovely harvest you had!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...