Saturday 10 December 2016

Chook Farm

I have a little 'chook farm' going here at the moment. Well, not real chooks but chook pincushions which are quick and easy to make for most people.  Not so quick for me as I take forever to finish anything off but for anyone who has a sewing room and doesn't have to set up the sewing machine every time they want to sew something it wouldn't take long at all. Plus it helps if you can just leave what you are sewing on the table for the next session but alas, that is not the case here.





I wasn't quite sure how these would turn out so did a little experimenting....




...and this was the result of my first try. 




I decided I had used too many different patterns in that one so narrowed it down to two spotty fabrics next time. It's a good way to get rid of some scraps and I am certain we all have a bag or two of them.  I used the tutorial from Caro-Rose-Creations. There is also a YouTube tutorial on Quilt Shop Gal which uses a different method. These would make a nice little gift for a friend who likes sewing.







I had never seen these chookies before until a friend gave me one last Christmas which is shown above. It is also made differently from the tutorial I used and I would ask her where she got the instructions from but her hubby had a serious car accident last weekend and is still in ICU so I am sure that chicken pincushion tutorials are not high on her list of priorities at the moment.   I am also sure she would appreciate it if you would include him in your prayers. Last I heard he was still in an induced coma so let's pray that Peter will be awake soon and will respond very quickly to treatment. Our life circumstances can change in an instant, can't they? 

Have a great weekend everyone and I hope that those who are on holidays during the Aussie Christmas school break stay safe on the roads and have an enjoyable and relaxing time.  Just think of all our Northern Hemisphere friends shovelling snow at this time of the year although I wouldn't mind the experience just once :-)









13 comments:

  1. I will add your friend's husband to our prayers. He shares the same name as our son. It would be nice to have him home for Christmas, I'm sure. :)

    I love your little pincushions. Especially all those polka-dots! When my son was old enough to move into his own room, I lost my sewing room. So I have barely done any sewing beyond necessity. It's annoying to drag it all out. But it's a trivial gripe, lol. I make do and it's not that hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for praying for Peter, Chris. I do hope he is home for Christmas too.

      Delete
  2. Those chooks are adorable Nanna Chel!

    I pray too that Peter recovers well from his accident. Dead right about how life can change in a instant. We will be on the road for the next week (going to Victoria) and I always get nervous when travelling these days.

    Take care,

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay safe on the roads, Tania. It is a busy time around Christmas.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm....I reckon I could triple the size of these pin cushion hens and convert them as door stoppers. I will show this to my sewing DD3. I need door stoppers and these would look lovely through the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that would be very difficult, Mr.HM. I think the lady on the YouTube video I linked to had a few different sizes. I didn't watch it all the way through.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Nanna Chel for the links, I love chooks in any form, but these would certainly come in handy. My prayers go out for Peter and family for a quick recovery.
    I have the same problem with sewing, unless I intend to finish before a meal, its better not to start, never mind, I still consider myself lucky, at least we are all healthy and together. Take care. Guida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guida, I get a little bit of sewing done in between all the packing up and so forth but not as much as I would like.

      Delete
  5. Love your chooky friends.
    Prayers for Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane. Peter has improved today and hopefully he will make a quick recovery.

      Delete
  6. Hi Chel. I have added my prayers for Peter's recovery.

    I think your little chooks are very clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherri. They are cute little chooks if I do say so myself :-)

      Delete
  7. Dear Chel, yes life can change in an instant. Adding my prayers for Peter. Your chookies are very cute indeed. Love, Mimi x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...