Monday 19 December 2016

Having a 'gourd' time!

Today a friend and I visited 'The Home of the Gourd Bird', Danish Flower Art which is about a ten minute drive from Toowoomba. I wrote a post about this fascinating place back in 2014 and it is just as popular now as it was then. When we arrived there were children having craft classes who looked like they were thoroughly enjoying themselves. If anyone is reading this who lives nearby there is a list of the holiday classes on this page. There is a Gourmet Cafe to spend some time in having a coffee and a chat which has a whole wall dedicated to photos of Princess Mary and her hubby...after all this is a Danish complex. For Northern Hemisphere readers, Princess Mary is an Aussie girl who married Frederik, Prince of Denmark.



There are a number of animals on the property for the children to pat which are very cute.






A seat to take a rest on which I would like in my yard......




....as well as lots and lots of gourds. Plain ones.....




....painted ones....




....hanging gourds....





....gourds with plants in them....




....just take your pick as there are plenty to choose from. 



Francis of Assisi was there ...

 

 ....and hundred and hundreds of beads and buttons....

 


....and anything and everything you could possibly need if you want to make your own jewellery.


 


 You really have to see this place to believe just how many beading supplies are in stock and I would hate to have to do the annual stocktake. I really have to restrain myself when I see all those beads as I already have a huge stash from when beading was really, really popular and probably don't need to buy any more....for a little while anyway :-)




It is very tempting though when you see the finished sets of necklaces, bracelets and decorative items that have been made by the very talented staff. 

If you happen to be driving along the highway from Hampton to Toowoomba keep an eye out for the gourds on the left hand side of the highway and take some time to stop for a coffee and a look around. I can assure you that you won't be disappointed. 





13 comments:

  1. That looks a very interesting place to visit Chel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is well worth visiting if you are ever down this way, Sherri.

      Delete
  2. What an interesting place, How long has it been there? I lived in Kingaroy in the early 90s and cant remember driving past it. My aunts used to grow gourds as decorations when I was little and there are many different types. If I'm ever up that way again Ill have to call in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been there a fair while now I think, Debbie. It's on the left before you get to Highfields.

      Delete
  3. Nana Chel when we come to visit my brother inToowoomba I look for different places to visit. I had no idea this place existed. It is now on my to do list for the next time we go up the ranges to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, if you are heading there from Toowoomba just go past Highfields and then you will see the gourds and flags outside the complex on the right side of the road. There is ample parking. The buildings with the beads are on the left when you drive in. I am sure you will enjoy it. At Highfields the Chocolate Cottage on the right is a great place to have a coffee and there is a Patchwork shop as well as gift shops etc there as well.

      Delete
    2. Nana Chel the Chocolate Cottage is a real favourite of mine. Whenever in Toowoomba I make sure I get there. Love that little group of shops there and just across the road. I really have only ventured as far as Highfields so no wonder I haven't seen the Gourds.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this information Nanna Chel, I have driven past this place, but never gone in. My daughter now wants to do a few beading classes, so I appreciate the information. Take care, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from my family to yours. Guida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guida, if your daughter likes beading she will be in seventh heaven.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness. I love gourds! Looks like you had a lovely day out Chel. Were you tempted to buy anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tempted, Sally. However I remained strong and didn't open my purse :-) That is hard to do when you are surrounded by hundreds of beads.

      Delete
  6. I should gourd up my loins and look into this subject further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Mr.HM...I am glad you are going to 'gourd up your loins'.

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...