Friday, 6 January 2017

More Modesty Panels

Modesty Panels? What on earth are they? Well obviously a lot of readers didn't know when I wrote about the  DIY Modesty Panel back in 2014 as it became one of the most popular posts on my blog. As readers come and go over the years I thought I would refresh the post a little in case anyone is interested especially those who are living though the dreadful heatwaves we have been subjected to in Australia recently.


I am sure most ladies would agree that it is too hot during summer to wear two layers so if you have a top that is a little lower in the front that you feel comfortable with and normally have to wear a camisole underneath then you will find that the modesty panel fixes the problem nicely.

Here is how you make them...I will use most of the photos from that first post to save you having to go there to have a look. 



First go through your old T shirts if you have any. I had a heap of them from when I used to go to the Curves gym as they were given to members when they reached certain milestones.



You could even use a camisole you don't wear as they often come with tops that you buy. I find them too hot to wear.



Check the hemline of one that you want to use and see if it is suitable and not too worn out. Then with the hemline at the top, cut out a piece of your T-shirt or Cami measuring 8 inches (20cm) across at the top, 7 inches (18cm) down, and approximately 5 inches (13cm) at the bottom edge. The following photo makes the top of the panel look crooked but it isn't really as we all know that I never sew anything crooked ;-)





This is an old one I made several years ago and it is still going strong although not quite as white now so I have made a new one to replace it. Once you have cut out your panel then zigzag around the edge. This isn't seen at all. Then cut two pieces of elastic approximately 2 1/4 inches (6cm). This will wrap around your bra strap so take this into consideration when cutting your elastic as you may want to make it longer if you have a wider strap.




Now, you will need some hook and loop Velcro. Cut two pieces approximately 3/4 inch (2cm), one piece for each side. Then separate one piece, lay the elastic 3/4 inch (2cm) from the top side edge then lay one piece of Velcro over it and sew both onto the knit fabric. It can get a bit tricky sewing Velcro depending on your sewing machine and you might have to sew it on by hand. Just make sure that the stitching won't come undone. Then add the corresponding piece of Velcro onto the other end of the elastic.



 


Repeat on the other side. That's it! Then you just have to insert the panel under your top, wrap the elastic around your bra strap and stick the two pieces of Velcro together. You might need to experiment a little to get the right length of elastic and Velcro to suit your bra strap as I mentioned before. 



 While you are sorting out those T shirts you might find some that have 'shrunk' so you could enlarge them quite easily. You will find the instructions in the post How to Enlarge a T-shirt. It's funny how clothes shrink these days. LOL! 

For those of you who prayed for my friend who has been through a worrying time after her hubby had a serious car accident which you can read about here in the post Friends and Silver Linings, he is now about to start rehab on the slow journey back to full mobility. Thank you so much for your prayers. Now I have a close friend who has a little two year old grandchild who is very ill in hospital in Brisbane and really needs a lot of prayer warriors praying for him so I would appreciate it if you would include him in your prayers if you are a praying person as I know a lot of you are.  He is a little sweetie and it is such a concern for his family to see him so sick.

Have a great weekend and if you are in the Northern Hemisphere I hope you are enjoying the snow and for us in the Southern Hemisphere enjoy the cooler weather if that is what you have at the moment like us before it heats up again next week. 




10 comments:

  1. Have seen these before - great idea. Wish more people would use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a great idea, Robyne. I wear them all the time in summer.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this Nanna Chel.

    Some of my frocks could do with these. As you say camis are too hot!

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wear a cami in the heat, Tania. If I overheat I start to faint for some reason so keeping cool is a priority.

      Delete
  3. That is such a great tip Chel. (I wish more shops sold tops with boat necklines.) It is my first day back to work after four weeks holiday and I am sure my uniform will have shrunk while hanging in the wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri, I hope you fit into your uniform. Jolly things....funny the way they shrink in the wardrobe :-)

      Delete
  4. Somehow i dont think i'll be doing this but i did have a laugh. Tom (19 year old Aspie son) guards my modesty for me. If i'm exposing too much cleavage (in his opinion) he has a quiet whisper in my ear. He also told me that my nails are too long. "But im a girl, i implore". Apparently if he has to cut his, i do too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Lynda just as well you have Tom to keep you on the straight and narrow. LOL! He is a character...just like his mum :-)

      Delete
  5. Good reminder! We are currently in layer mode so tend to forget and I should be setting aside bad shirts with good hems for the summer. Seems there are no clothes to buy any more that don't show off cleavage or thighs! Neither of which looks that good anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kathy, it won't be long before we are complaining about the cold winter and you will be trying to cool down during summer. The panels come in handy as two layers are too much for me.

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...