Friday 10 February 2017

That's why I don't go to craft shows!

I haven't been to a craft show for years. Now I know why....I get too tempted to buy craft supplies I don't always use. Am I the only one? Anyway it is too late now as I have already succumbed to temptation and will have to start experimenting with my new toys crafty items before I put them away and forget about them until I am in the middle of a decluttering frenzy in the future. I mean...I still have some Jo Sonja varnish that I bought at a craft show probably 20 years ago.


One of the first exhibitors I saw at Craft Alive this morning was Crystals and More. I was intrigued by the type of weaving the presenter was doing and stopped to take a look.




She was doing Meshwork which I had never heard of before. She was making bias binding which was backed by Clover fusible web and she wove this into a pattern then ironed the whole piece which was pinned to baking paper.




She made quite a variety of patterns and I noticed she had made a purse out of one of the pieces. I think these would make great mug rugs too.




I ended up buying a couple of patterns for beginners....



...and a kit which contained bodkins for threading through the bias binding, fusible tape to back it with and the bias tape maker. When I did a search on Pinterest it looked like this craft is called Japanese Meshwork.





Another exhibitor was selling Japanese fabric. Indigo Niche had some beautiful fabrics which were very good quality with fabulous designs and there were displays of Sashiko Embroidery which I was very interested in.




This colourful patchwork skirt made from scraps left over from quilting was displayed at Passionately Sewn . Such a good idea to use up scraps which some people would just throw away. 



When I used to go to craft shows in Brisbane World of Lace was always one of the most popular exhibitors. I knew I couldn't pass by without buying something and when I saw their latest coathanger kit I had to buy one as the lace is just beautiful and it will make a lovely present. There are different laces to make two coathangers.




These bobbin earrings caught my eye and I think they are so cute but I am not sure if I would be brave enough to wear them. However if you would have no hesitation in wearing them and want to buy a pair just click on the link.





A lot of the exhibitors were from out of town but I did notice a local one from Whispers of the Valley.
They had a counting book which I thought was a Quiet Book and it had New Zealand animals in it but there is also a panel of Australian animals available if anyone local would like to make a counting book. I had a look online and Whispers of the Valley seems to be a B & B near Gatton and there is a Fabric Craft and Gift Boutique on the property. Sorry about the dodgy photo but I was feeling unwell by then and needed to leave in a hurry so rushed the photo. 

It was a pleasant morning and I would recommend going along if you live in the region. This show seems to cater for the regional areas which is nice. This weekend is going to be a scorcher so I would suggest taking plenty of water with you. There is a cafe there if you would prefer a caffeine hit. Just click on the link for details on where Craft Alive is being held if you are interested. 

The Bureau of Meteorology has warned Aussies about the heatwave conditions on the weekend and the health authorities are giving advice about keeping hydrated and out of the sun so I wish everyone living in the areas that will be sizzling all the best and I hope you have a plan in place to try and cool down. We will be heading to the shopping centre tomorrow afternoon and the movies on Sunday afternoon and there will be no cooking done...that's for sure! Salads are the order of the day.







23 comments:

  1. It's lovely to see so many creative types, showing their crafting skills. I'm glad they can make some kind of living from it too. Thanks for sharing your day out.

    You plans to stay cool over the weekend, sound good. I wonder how many people will be at the Miline Bay Aquatic Centre today? Now our son is older, we keep some water in the bath at all times, so we can dip our feet in and run a washer over our knees. Great for bringing down the temperature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I think Milne Bay pool will be packed. I think we probably need a second large public pool here if the summers keep being so hot.

      Delete
  2. Oh boy, do I ever relate! Hard to say no when you have grand plans to use them! I chuckled at your post, I think all crafters possibly have the same problem, lol! Hugs to you today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I don't think I will be going to another craft show in a hurry unless I leave my purse at home. LOL!

      Delete
  3. I am sure it was such fun though! I love that pattern skirt. So colorful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful skirt, Chrissy. It looked easy to make and a good way to use up scraps.

      Delete
  4. I adore that pattern skirt, I think I'd love to make one with pretty scraps and those lovely sashiko stitches. Hmmm... don't have to go to a craft show to be tempted it seems! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hope to have a Sashiko embroidery workshop at our Toowoomba Simple Living group this year, Meg. Should be fun.

      Delete
  5. Wow, that meshwork looks amazing! I'm a great lover of sashiko embroidery as well, I would love to do more of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly the meshwork would be a walk in the park for you I think.

      Delete
  6. I try very hard to stay away from anywhere that has craft supplies. I have to keep remembering that this is my 'use it up' year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm Jane it was my 'use it up year' too. No more craft shows now.

      Delete
  7. I have been thinking the last few years that Toowoomba could really use a big water park, it would be well used for at least 9 months of the year.
    We had our water charges increased by council to deal with extra water access for the future so setting it up shouldn't be a problem.
    The craft fair was a good day, I had a good look around, watched a few talks and demo's and did a felting workshop with the Spinners and weavers, good fun.
    My purchases were top quality sock knitting dpns because I use them all the time, some amazing hand dyed sock wool for a gift I am making and a piece of Japanese fabric....all on my list and I am happy with them all....mind you , if I had won a $100 voucher to spend on the day, there would not have been any problem At All.....3pm was enough for me Chel, the drive home in the aircon car was blissss.
    Any one really feeling the heat.....freeze a 2 litre bottle of water, wrap in a tea towel and put it against your side or put your feet on it, and haveva spare ready to use when it melts. ....keep cool and hydrated everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, if we had a water park I think I would even go there and just sit in the water on these really hot days. Anything to cope :-)

      Delete
  8. Even with all of our snow and cold, I would not trade for your heat! Stay hydrated and don't move around too much! I can't go to craft shows either! I think I am almost out of room for my 'someday' crafts!! The weaving looks so interesting though....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a wise lady, Kathy. Stick with the snow. LOL!

      Delete
  9. I envy you having access to such a wonderful craft show. I am very interested in the coat hanger kits. I'll have to look into an online purchase I think. Great Christmas presents as you said. The earrings are interesting. Stay cool if you can Chel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, if you scroll down the page on the World of Lace website you can see the new coathanger kits there.

      Delete
  10. Looks like fun. But not in this heat. Imagine staying at that b&b what you would come home with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The B & B looks like a nice place for anyone to stay if they are visiting the Lockyer Valley and isn't far from Toowoomba either.

      Delete
  11. Some fabulous items there Chel! Those woven patterns will certainly make stunning rug mugs. I clicked on the link for the bobbin earrings and saw that it was from Wacky Jacky's...I might have been tempted to buy a pair if they had clip ones 😆. I see that Toowoomba has had a horrifically hot day today...you poor thing. Apparently the cool change is coming Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, when I wore clip earrings I was having trouble buying them as not many places stock them anymore. So I got my ears repierced as the holes had closed up over the years as I used to get infections so stopped wearing the ones for pierced ears. Now though I find that they are so fiddly to put in that I tend to leave the one pair in. I should have stuck with my old clip-on ones. LOL!

      Delete
    2. Yes I'm a rare breed, brought up in an Italian/Aussie home and I don't have pierced ears. My dad's family sent from Sicily a little pair of gold hoops for my christening but my dad vetoed ear piercing. My older daughter has worn the earrings though for her year 12 formal.
      I met 'Wacky Jacky' at a craft group I go to...love her batiks. 💕

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...