Monday 12 March 2018

Soapmaking tips for beginners

Recently Chris from Gully Grove asked if I could do a blog post about the equipment required for basic soapmaking. I know there are a few readers who intend to make soap for the first time this year so this might be helpful for them. As I have said before I am no expert when it comes to making soap and just like to experiment with different recipes so that I can then pick my favourites. I like to keep my soaps fairly simple and really can't see the point of making them into works of art when they are eventually going to go down the drain. LOL! However having said that, I do make more of an effort if we have a challenge on The Home Maker's Forum.



Here is the basic equipment you need to start off with....some accurate digital scales, a thermometer, a stick blender, a saucepan to heat up the oils and something to mix the lye and water in. When I first started out with soapmaking I used a pyrex container for the lye and water until I was told by an experienced soapmaker that the glass could break as she had heard of that happening and advised to buy a plastic bucket which withstands high temperatures. I note on several websites about soap that pyrex jugs are used though. You can even skip buying a thermometer if you use the room temperature method of making soap and some people only use that method and never heat up the oils. Also protect yourself with rubber gloves and goggles or glasses. I used to wear a long sleeved shirt as well but don't now unless it is cold.



Then you need the ingredients to work with. My first soaps were made with just coconut oil, olive oil, lye and water. Now I mainly use copha instead of coconut oil unless I can buy it on a really good special. I don't think copha is available overseas but it is readily available in Aussie supermarkets. It is hydrogenated coconut oil. Small containers of caustic soda can be bought at supermarkets but I buy the 2kg one from BMS Mitre 10 although Bunnings used to stock it as well but don't now unfortunately. When adding caustic soda/lye to the water make sure that there are no children or pets around and be careful that you don't breathe in the fumes so it is better to do that step in the fresh air or close to an opened window.


I read up all I could about the soapmaking process on Rhonda's Down to Earth Blog as she has several blog posts there. Finally I printed one of her tutorials out and followed it to the letter when making my first batch and it turned out really well. I had put it off for so long because I was paranoid about handling lye but soon realised that you just have to be careful with it. 

I used the one recipe for a few batches until I felt confident to move on to using other oils, etc. I wouldn't buy too many oils to start off with just in case you decide that soapmaking isn't for you. I normally buy Olive Oil at the supermarket when it is on special but oils like Castor Oil and Sweet Almond Oil can be expensive so I buy them from N-essentials. If you want to use lard or tallow in your soaps just ask at your local butcher or at the farmers' market if they have any animal fat available which you can render in a crock pot. I have only used lard so far.



You don't even have to buy soap moulds as you can simply use a cardboard milk carton if you choose to. In the beginning I bought some expensive moulds like the one below but there is no need to as silicone ones are much easier to use, are cheaper and can often be picked up in the cooking section of places like The Reject Shop and KMart. I have bought a few on eBay including the pink heart shaped one above on the left and the sunflower mould, both of which are my favourites. Then there is the loaf mould which I also bought on eBay and this is a silicone mould inside a wooden one. It is getting a bit grotty now from the coloured clays I have used over the years but you need a loaf mould if you want to eventually experiment with swirls and other patterns.







Other bits and pieces I have collected over the years are heat resistant jugs from Supercheap Auto
measuring spoons, silicone spatulas and chopsticks for doing swirls. I also lashed out last Christmas and bought a cutting tool which includes two different kinds of cutters but there is absolutely no need for such luxuries as my old Staysharp knife used to do a good job. 




 I would recommend just starting simple with a basic recipe and keep the colours and fragrances for further down the track when you feel confident that you can make a decent batch of soap.


Lavender soap
Then you can branch out and buy clays, micas, essential oils and fragrance oils if you want to experiment as often these ingredients can make changes to your soap and you might find it goes to trace really quickly and you have to work fast to get it into the mould. 

I did a simple tutorial a while back when I was still using a glass bowl for the lye and water so just disregard that part. Hopefully it will give you an idea of how simple it is to make soap.

I am bound to have forgotten to include something important so just leave a comment below if you notice anything or have any questions. Give soapmaking a go if you have time and I am sure you won't be disappointed.


13 comments:

  1. Many thanks for sharing! I'm so happyI've "discovered" your blog that I've written a post on my blog. I find very interesting many of your post and tips. Enjoy your days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clara and welcome to my little blog. You do live a long way away from Australia :-)

      Delete
  2. Stop in from down to earth. Soap making is something I haven't tried but it on my bucket list.
    If you fine the time stop over at my blog for a cup of coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dora. Do give soapmaking a try when you feel up to it and have the time. A warning though, it can be addictive.

      Delete
  3. Chel I think you might need to mention that it is a good idea to have good air circulation when making soap as the lye solution does produce a gas as it heats. You also need to do this when little people and fur babies are not around. The lye solution can be nasty. It is not something to be scared of, just something to be aware of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, now that I am on the PC I will add that tip too. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. This is a very useful post Chel. Thank you.
    Months ago I bought all ingredients for making soap, but didn't do it yet. I bought a thick glass container to mix lye and water. It's not Pyrex, but now I'm not sure if it is safe. I do have a plastic bucket so I will use it after I stop procrastinating. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nil, I used glass for a few years without any mishaps but apparently accidents can happen so I err on the side of caution now.

      Delete
  5. I never get sick of looking at and reading about soap making - another great read Nanna Chel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil, I guess you are still making soap for the family.

      Delete
  6. I've got all my equipment ready and stashed on my laundry shelf ... where it's been for about two years I think. Boy, can I procrastinate! Thank you for this post and breaking it down simply like this, now I have no excuse. I'd love to make soap to go with the washcloths I knit. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, just pick out a day and just do it! I can't talk about procrastinating though as I have two pavers here looking at me that have been waiting for two years for me to do some mosiac design on them. I look forward to seeing your first batch if soap. Just keep the instructions handy and you will be fine.

      Delete
  7. I agree you can start out simple. But also I LOVE gorgeous moulds. Its about a year since I made a big batch of soap and Im out of gift soap so I need to get going! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...