Sunday 26 April 2015

Sage Mustard

Recently one of the Down to Earth Simple Living Forum members mentioned that she had just made Sage Mustard. I was intrigued so asked for the recipe which looked quite simple and easy to make so I thought I would give it a try.


This recipe is based on one in Digby Law's Pickle and Chutney Cookbook and calls for both yellow and brown mustard seeds. I had never seen brown mustard seeds before but was told that they were available at Indian grocery stores so I was able to buy some there. However, they had no yellow mustard seeds.  Yellow mustard seeds are normally readily available in the supermarkets but, you wouldn't believe it, I couldn't find any in the shops when I went looking. The CEO checked out a few supermarkets for me as well when he was out and about but couldn't find any either. Finally, after roaming around five supermarkets and three Indian grocery stores I finally found some in an Asian food shop. Unbelievable!

 

So, armed with my mustard seeds and the rest of the ingredients I set to work.


SAGE MUSTARD

200g yellow mustard seeds
100g brown mustard seeds
20 whole cloves
2 tbsp. chopped fresh sage (or whatever herb you want)
3/4 cup parsley sprigs
5 cm piece of ginger, sliced
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/3 cup honey (I used 1/3 cup Rice Malt Syrup)
2 tsp salt
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup olive oil

In a blender or small food processor, combine the mustard seeds and blend until well chopped. Put in a bowl. In the blender, combine the cloves, herbs, ginger, garlic, honey and salt, and blend until finely chopped. While blending, slowly add the vinegar and oil. Mix with the mustard seeds, stir until well combined, and cover and leave overnight.



Next day, pour into small jars. (You can add more oil and vinegar if the mix is dry). This mixture filled three Masterfoods bottles and two slightly larger bottles.

The mixture won't taste good when you first make it - don't give up and toss it out. It needs to mature so leave it for a month or so before opening.  


Here in Australia, Anzac Day was commemorated yesterday.  On that day we remember those who  fought so bravely so that we can have peace in our country. It is a very sad day for many families who lost loved ones while fighting on foreign soil. My grandfather almost ended up at Gallipoli but the troop ship he was on, which was on its way there, was diverted elsewhere for some reason. He survived the war thankfully but he never spoke about it...like a lot of other men.

I bought a tin of ANZAC biscuits as it was the 100 year anniversary of the landing at Gallipoli but wasn't going to eat any as I have pretty well cut out sugar. However, it has been suggested on the I Quit Sugar website to have something sugary and see how it tastes so I ate two and was just amazed at how sweet the biscuits were so obviously one's taste buds do change over time.  I am happy for the menfolk to finish them off and I can add the tin to my collection.

I will leave you with another of my photo experiments. I have no idea why, when I take a photo of a flower which is in the centre of the screen, that it ends up being on the side when I look at it later and then I have to crop it. I guess I will find out eventually.


Have a great week everyone!




14 comments:

  1. Such a lovely tin and i should have thought of that myself. I have several ANZAC tins all put to good storage use. Its certainly in focus and beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like to collect too many tins but I do have a few and couldn't pass that one up.

      Delete
  2. This is the first time I have ever heard of sage mustard - where has it been all my life?! ANZAC day, mixed emotions - so grateful, yet not into warfare personally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of it before Jenny mentioned it on the forum, Phil. I hope it tastes okay after a month or so.

      Delete
  3. This mustard sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like eating wholegrain mustard, Krystal so I hope this one is as nice.

      Delete
  4. I have never heard of sage mustard but it sounds good. I'm going to gather the ingredients and make some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and welcome to my little nanna blog, Patsy. I am hoping the mustard turns out okay after a few weeks. I hope you like it if you make some.

      Delete
  5. The mustard looks good Chel, funny how much of an effort it took to get the ingredients. I had my eye on those Anzac tins too. Must keep a lookout in case they are reduced now. Still have dahlia envy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, I should have checked the tins today as I was in Woolies but I forgot. They were reduced to $8 on Friday so are probably cheaper than that now.

      Delete
  6. The mustard does look and sound lovely, I have never made any kind of mustard from scratch, this may be it, and I'm with Barb and the dahlia envy - you have the prettiest flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see a recipe for mustard a bit like that a while back and made some but I tasted it the next day and it was revolting so I threw it out and put it down to using out of date yellow mustard seeds. I don't think the recipe said anything about leaving it for a few weeks like this one does.

      Delete
  7. What a great idea.. I love sage and expect the mustard must be delicious.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I certainly do hope so, Faye.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...