Tuesday 25 April 2017

Sourdough Challenge


Mrs.Meagre from Meagre Makes More is currently holding a sourdough challenge on The Home Makers Forum and some members are learning how to make their own sourdough starter which I also did during her challenge last year and, after much trial and error and patience on her part, finally  ended up with my Gertrude.


Crofton Terracotta Roaster
So if you would like to join with other beginner sourdough bakers then come along and register on The Home Maker's Forum or if you prefer not to, you could read her posts The Sourdough Challenge  on her blog. I am sure there will be more to come as well. As I have mentioned before, if you have any trouble with registering let me know via the Contact Form on the sidebar and I will let the ladies who run the forum know.




She mentions a number of different ways to get a starter going including a fascinating one with raisins by Sarah Owens.




Lately I have been making my sourdough using Chris' instructions which she gave during our Sourdough Workshop last year and you can find her tutorial "The" Sourdough Tutorial on her blog if you haven't seen it before.



In my last experiment I wanted to see the difference in loaves that were slashed or not slashed as I had slashed one last week and it deflated for some reason and I have never had that problem before. I like the slashed look though.




As the bread I make is sliced and then frozen for toasted sandwiches for lunch, I don't want the big holes that are normally in sourdough bread. I still have lots of experimenting to do and I quite like the look of the two toned soft rye bread on Home Joys and will see if I can replace the honey with Rice Malt Syrup.


New York Style Rye Sourdough from How to Make Sourdough

I would also like to learn how to slash the bread so it looks like the photo above. Doesn't it look amazing? 



If you haven't made sourdough you are probably wondering how that is done. Well, in the book How to Make Sourdough that I have borrowed from the local library I read about a LAME which the author used to do the slashing. I know that Celia from Fig Jam and Lime Cordial has mentioned using a razor blade when she slashes so I did a search on eBay for a LAME and found this one on sale from Victoria. Seeing as Aussies might be blocked from using eBay soon I thought I would order one and do some slashing of my own :-) 
 
 
 

There is also going to be a soapmaking challenge for beginners and more advanced soapmakers if anyone is interested which will be run by the very competent Suzie from The Curing Room who makes absolutely beautiful soaps. I know there are readers out there who have been intending to make their first batch of soap so why not join in and ask all the questions you like and you won't be alone in your first attempts. 
 
Another experiment will be learning how to use the Crofton Terracotta Roaster which my friend Margaret picked up for me from one of the Op Shops. You can see it in the top photo. I just have to get my head around soaking it and not putting the hot roaster on a cold surface etc.....another learning curve. 'They' say that learning new things is good for the brain as we get older. LOL! 
 
Have a great week everyone!
 
 






18 comments:

  1. Those slashes are looking very creative indeed. I would like to try a little sourdough one day. Currently working with a fantastic naturopath so will mention sourdough for the future. It's the gluten sensitivity. Thanks for all your links as it answered a few of my questions especially the 'why sourdough?'

    We received a terracotta roaster for a wedding present back in 1997. I remember using it a lot until I dropped it.

    Love the name of your starter too 🙂.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try a gluten free sourdough? I have a starter going with some buckwheat flour and I'm excited to bake with that one.
      -mrsmeagre

      Delete
    2. Kylie, I did read that there were experiments with giving sourdough to those with coeliac disease with good results. It is quite an amazing bread,

      Delete
  2. Today is shaping up to be a good day for baking, cool and rainy.

    I didn't have much success with my first few goes at slashing, now I just do deep snips with the kitchen scissors before the second rise, cover with a cheap shower cap or good fitting lid until it doubles, then bake middle shelf with a tray of steaming water in bottom of oven. I found if you slash before putting in oven it deflates and doesn't recover well.
    Hope everyone has fun giving it a try, I haven't had a fail (brick) since using Chris's instructions .
    Anyone local needs a starter I can divide mine and help out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only had trouble once with the slashing, Margaret. I will try slashing earlier and see how that goes. Nice bit of rain in the storm yesterday.

      Delete
  3. I have to make a sourdough starter again but I'll be using the recipe I already have as it has worked for me before. Don't be nervous about using the Terracotta Roaster as I have owned 2 Romertopf terracotta loaf pans for years and they make the best bread. It may take you a couple of tries with the soaking before you and the roaster are friends but it's worth it :). A couple of good sized potholders, side by side, or a long hotpad are worthwhile having to sit the hot roaster upon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn, I will just have to be brave and give the terracotta roaster a try. I have heard good things about them.

      Delete
  4. Sourdough is the quintessence of self reliance (IMHO!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with MargaretP above about the slashing. I also slash as I put bread in the tin for proofing and not right before baking. With the bannetton though I slash once I tip it over (after proof but about 10-15 minutes before baking). It seems fine so far...

    I use terracotta nearly weekly for baking, Nanna Chel. It is great for holding the heat so the bread gets a good oven spring even if you have to open the oven to put the loaves it. With a covered terracota you trap the steam from the loaf as well so you get a crisp crust without having to create steam by putting in a tray of water or some ice cubes underneath. You don't even have to spritz the loaves with water. It is amazing -- you will love it. I rest mine on top of the stove trivets to cool.

    Good luck with your experiments -- it will surely keep your mind active :)

    -mrsmeagre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Meagre more experiments coming up I can tell :-) Both bread and soap experiments should keep my mind active by learning new things.

      Delete
  6. Dear Nanna Chel, The sour dough you started me on has been one of the best things I ever learned! It just goes on and on. And I think I have started 6 new sour dough makers so far. It really is an asset.
    All those soaps look amazing. I also think learning things is the best fun and there is so much to learn! With love Annabel.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annabel, Gertrude has spread around the country and I hope she is behaving wherever she is. LOL!

      Delete
  7. Sourdough bread making is one of the most enjoyable tasks in my self sufficient routine Chel, and soap making is such fun too. Both of these skills I learned from our circle of blog friends. Thank heaven for you and all of them. I reckon you should be teaching a class on soap making with your wonderful skills. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, I still consider myself a beginner as none of my soaps are perfect so just as well I am not selling them. They are okay for us though as at the end of the day it all goes down the drain, doesn't it? :-)

      Delete
  8. Your sourdough looks amazing! We have begun experimenting and are loving it! Of course, there is nothing like sourdough pizza... We aren't yet to the slashing stage you are at yet... still beginners but I can't wait to get there! Thanks for sharing these ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun experimenting, JES. It is getting colder here so that makes it a bit more tricky but not impossible. I can always get the dough to rise in a warm car in winter if necessary.

      Delete
  9. I'm impressed! I've never attempted sourdough. I wouldn't say that baking is one of my strongest skills.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...