Wednesday 20 September 2017

Learning the Iris Stitch

At a recent get-together for members of the former Down to Earth Forum and the current Home Maker's Forum my friend Judy gave me a couple of dishcloths and I have been quite impressed with the fact that they don't go out of shape when they have been twisted and turned as I try to get the water out of them after use...unlike a couple of mine :-)


I was looking at them the other day and wondered what crochet stitch she used and sent her an SMS and she said to look up the Iris Stitch on the net which I did and came across an easy to follow YouTube video by Potter & Bloom called How to Crochet + The Iris Stitch. Well, most of it is easy to follow but I always have difficulty working out which chain to go into at the beginning but I had a go anyway and really need to practise consistently so that I remember what the stitches are.




Here are my first two attempts and the coloured one was an odd size so I tried to crochet a scalloped edge around it but made lots of mistakes...obviously. LOL! I need a LOT of practice instead of picking up a crochet hook about twice a year.


I used some cotton yarn from the $2 shop with some from the Op Shop and I quite like the colours.



See what happened to one of my knitted dishcloths using two strands of cotton yarn from the $2 shop. I think I used the wrong sized needle....or something. Oops! There was a topiary tree pattern in the middle once upon a time before I started twisting the life out of it to get it dry.




Oh well....perhaps one day I will practise enough to crochet a dishcloth like Judy's ;-)

Have you tried to crochet the Iris Stitch? Click on this link Iris Stitch ~ Oui Crochet for the pattern. 








https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYFz-FQmG78&feature=share

12 comments:

  1. That's a very pretty dishcloth, Chel. I can't crochet (at all) but have learned quite a few different stitches when knitting dishcloths. They are great little project for practising and learning new things. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes dishcloths are great for learning on, Meg.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. YouTube is a great way to learn as long as the presenter goes slow enough.

      Delete
  3. with your knitted dish cloths try putting a wider border on the sides, that may keep them in shape for a little longer
    love that crochet stitch, here i thought it was a shell stitch of sorts
    they both look good & yes, practice, practice & more practice! :))
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very pretty. Is that a pink and green? I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is pink and green, Debbie. I like those two colours together.

      Delete
  5. I have added this to the 'to learn' list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to try and find more time for practicing knitting and crochet Chel. The last couple of years I have started and stopped several projects. I need to keep going and get something finished. Something really simple though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dishcloths look like your distorted one, still learning here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you're crocheted dishcloths look GREAT, Nanna Chel. Crocheting gets easier with time. It's good to work the basics on pot holders and dish cloths. Your tension looks perfect. My crocheted dishcloths hold their shape better than the knitted ones, too. They also last longer. The stitches seem sturdier.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...