Tuesday 4 April 2017

Goat's Milk Soap with a swirl


I have been meaning to write this post for about a week but the cyclone and its aftermath have been occupying my thoughts. I had some goat's milk soap in the freezer which needed to be used up and I also have some ultramarine liquid colour in my stash which I bought ages ago and which I want to get rid of as I want to use natural colours as much as possible so thought I would try and do a swirl with layers of uncoloured soap mixture, light blue and light pink which was to be coloured with pink clay.



However, once again I didn't get the results I wanted but it is all a learning curve isn't it? LOL! I had bought some jugs with long spouts which were on special at the time from Supercheap Auto and was keen to try the swirling technique which the Soap Queen so easily does on her blog. I didn't do the part with the hanger as I couldn't bend it into the right shape. I did take a photo of the jugs when I bought them but who knows where it is now but they looked like the ones the Soap Queen is using in that blog post I linked to above although they are blue. They are microwaveable so should be able to withstand the heat of soapmaking.


The problem is...well one of them anyway...I have been experimenting with Fragrance Oils as I have found that when using Essential Oils the scent dissipates and, as they are quite expensive, I thought I would give Fragrance Oils a try. I bought some from Gavin's Little Green Workshops as I thought he wouldn't sell anything with nasties in it and the ones he sells are phylate and nitro musk free apparently. What I have discovered since using the oils though is that they can contain vanillin and can turn your soap brown as the Soap Queen explains in this post.



So more experimenting needs to be done as I like my goat's milk soap to be a creamy colour and not brown.


I am going to experiment with using natural colours like madder root, alkanet root powder etc. There is nettle growing everywhere so that needs to be harvested for soap making and I think that with the addition of some spirulina powder the green colour may not fade as much next time like it did in my batch last year.


Liz from Eight Acres has allowed me to preview her soon to be released eBook on Making Your Own Natural Soap and I can recommend it if you are interested in using tallow to make soap so put your name down here and Liz will let you know when it has been published. I have never used tallow in soapmaking and she explains about where to source the tallow and how to render it and I hope to do that in my crockpot.

A review of her eBook is coming so don't forget to grab yourself a copy when it is available. You won't be disappointed.


Last but not least, I think my one and only Dragonfruit is ready as it is completely red and has a little bit of 'give' when I press it so tomorrow is the day for picking. I am keen to see if it has white or red flesh and I do hope it is ripe as I believe it tastes much better if it is.

Prayers are still needed for the cyclone/flood victims as the town of Rockhampton prepares for the flooding of the Fitzroy River and low lying areas will be inundated.  I am not sure if some areas hit by the cyclone up north have power back on as yet but I did hear at some stage that they were running out of water. I do hope that situation has been remedied but much of the focus lately seems to have been on the ongoing crisis in SE Queensland and northern NSW as the flood waters recede and the damage that has been sustained is visible. Your thoughts and prayers are much appreciated I am sure.















15 comments:

  1. Love your soap journey. Tallow is easy peasey and I like soap made with it. Have some pork fat to render before making more soap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Deb. I have heard it is fairly easy but just hope it isn't too smelly.

      Delete
  2. Chel i love the soaps as they are, but if you wanted them whiter you could add a bit of Titanium Dioxide. It is used a lot in sunscreen and mineral makeup.

    I keep getting distracted by those lovely crochet flowers... did you make them?

    Supercheap sent me a $5 voucher so I was able to grab two smaller jugs for 98cents all up. Gavin lives just a few km's away from me and I keep thinking we should just drive to his shop for cheese/yogurt/soap stuff -- I have no idea if he sells from home or if it's just online though.

    -mrsmeagre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mrs Meagre I was thinking of including some Titanium Dioxide in my natural colourants order. The coasters were a gift from Blinky. She is such a clever little vegemite. I will have to put a link to the pattern on the forum. I imagine you would be able to pick up products from Gavin.

      Delete
  3. awww i thought your soap looked wonderful! such a lovely bright colour, very pretty!

    i want to buy caustic online but not sure where from, as wasn't able to get any last time i was in town, went to Bunnings but they only had the drain power one.
    yes, those coasters are lovely too!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I doubt that you could buy it online now, Selina. I asked my hubby to buy some from Bunnings the other day and he came home with a small container the same size as the Mechanix caustic soda from Coles. Bunnings didn't have the large blue Digger's containers. Next time I go out there I will ask them if they stock it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nanna Chel,
    I like the look of your soap and those crochet flowers too. We had Dragon fruit in Dad and Mums old house, yours look like the variety we had which was white inside.
    -Shiralee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shiralee, the soap is now dark brown thanks to the Fragrance Oils. LOL! The crochet flowers look much better than the soap does at the moment.

      Delete
  6. I'm sure the soap will be lovely to use anyway. I notice in another comment here that you may use titanium dioxide - from what I've heard it is something to avoid? The dragonfruit is such a unique fruit, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly apparently the titanium dioxide sold for soapmaking is safe but I just rang Green Living Australia to confirm that and they said it was fine. They also said that the micas are natural too so that is great as they offer a variety of colours and I am after a nice mauve colour for my lavender soap.

      Delete
  7. Try IGA for the caustic, usually near the draino.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret. I have never looked there.

      Delete
  8. I think your soap is lovely looking! How exciting about the almost ripe dragonfruit- I hope it's delicious. I've never eaten one, but I imagine they taste exotic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, no it didn't taste all that nice at all unfortunately. LOL!

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...