Tuesday 25 September 2018

Using aloe vera in soapmaking

One of my readers on Instagram (Hi Jane), recently asked how I extracted the gel from the aloe vera plant which I freeze for soapmaking so I took a few photos of the method I use in case it is helpful to those who would like to experiment.

 


 As the CEO recently got his gardening mojo back after two years and decided to dig out all the kikuyu growing in the front garden instead of spraying with Roundup, he found that the weed had grown through all the plants including the huge clump of aloe vera which has been there for years.



 

There was nothing for it but to dig it all out, remove the kikuyu and then replant some of the plants.  




 As one of my favourite soaps is Aloe Vera and Cucumber Soap, I decided to remove the gel from some plants and then freeze it to use in the future when I make this soap again.

 


 These plants were quite discoloured even though I washed them beforehand. Firstly I cut down both sides with a sharp knife and then put the knife under the skin and peeled it back to scoop out the gel.




Be warned...this is a very slippery job but the gel makes your hands feel so soft.




 Once you have removed the gel then put it into a food processor to liquify before pouring it into ice cubes to go into the freezer and then you have it on hand when you need it for a batch of soap. You can see Jan Berry's process here on How to Make Fresh Aloe Vera for Soapmaking which is where I got the idea in the first place. You can find lots of other natural soap recipes by Jan here on her blog Natural Soapmaking Recources and Recipes.




If you haven't ventured into soapmaking and want to buy some natural soap don't forget you can order soap from Liz at Eight Acres and she also has lots of soapmaking tips on her blog too if you are already a soapmaker.  As well there are a number of eBooks including Make Your Own Natural Soap.

I think I might have time to make another couple of batches of soap before the renos start so the next one will be cucumber and aloe vera soap as everyone's skin is so dry from the weather we have been having although we did have a little rain today for which we are appreciative. 

Have a great week everyone!

 

12 comments:

  1. Chel, I have a huge aloe plant. Maybe I'll add aloe to my next batch. Thank you for the link to Jan Berry's recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes give it a try, Nil. I did chill the gel when I made the soap the last time as I cut the aloe vera on the same day as I made the soap.

      Delete
  2. Aloe and cucumber soap sounds very nourishing for the skin, Chel. I have a huge aloe vera plant in a pot, it actually needs dividing up, so you've given me a good reminder to do that. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make a nice soap, Meg. I just need to experimenting with making it a harder soap.

      Delete
  3. Oh I’d love to add aloe into my soap at home. What a great tip Chel.

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have my son and his family staying with us, so I am just a bit busy. However once they head home I am going to have a go at getting some aloe in the freezer. Thank you for the info on how to do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine you would be very busy, Jane. Enjoy the time with your family.

      Delete
  5. I've only ever used aloe straight from the plant, for cuts or stings. So you've taught me something new. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, we have so many different aloe vera varieties for some reason. Originally we grew it to use for burns when the kids were little.

      Delete
    2. It's awesome at soothing sunburn too.

      Delete
  6. This sounds wonderful, your comment about it leaving your hands so soft reminded me of working with the sheep and how the lanolin in the wool would leave your hands so soft! I think I need to try an Aloe Plant again now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...