Saturday 4 July 2020

Support our country cousins

We are always encouraged to support our businesses in regional areas so a friend and I took a half an hour's drive from Toowoomba to Crows Nest yesterday as it was a really beautiful 21C day. I had never been there before apart from once when my sister and I were on our way to the Sunshine Coast and she missed the turnoff to Hampton and kept going up the highway to the lovely little town just a few kilometres up the road.


However, apart from wanting to take a drive on such a lovely day we were actually on a mission. My friend recently had her niece staying with her who had a comfy looking pair of slippers with her which my friend tried on and found they were just so very comfortable and she had been looking for something similar. She told me about them when we were having coffee in a shopping centre so we then went into a few shoe shops including Myer and asked if they stocked Grundy's Panda Slippers. None of them did so I did an online search for stockists and found that the nearest one was in Crows Nest





I rang the stockist which was Chic Shoe Store and Carol answered and said they she had the size of slippers we needed in stock which were called 'Emee'  and she also had 25% off at the moment. I was also interested in buying a pair as I do tend to shuffle around in my old dodgy ones which I know are no good for my feet and heaven forbid, if I ever had to go into hospital, I would have to send the CEO out to buy me a pair. Not that I am expecting to go into hospital any time soon especially after I found out our General Hospital has mixed wards. I would have to be unconscious first to be admitted to a ward like that. Sorry....back to the subject matter. LOL!




So we both bought slippers and my friend was extra happy as....





....she has flat feet and wanted a pair with removable innersoles. An added bones was that the online price of $39.95 was more expensive than Carol's $30 and she also had 25% off that! So if you are in the region and want to go for a pleasant drive to Crows Nest and are looking for a pair of comfy slippers then do call into Carol's store and support our country cousins. 




She also has plenty of shoes, sandals etc. in stock as well....




...including a number of shoes on a $15 special. 




I noticed these Sloggers  (on the top row) and Carol said they are really long lasting. They are $55 with 25% off so that is below the online price for them. Apparently you can hose them off if they get dirty in the garden. I found them online for $69.95. 

After buying our slippers we had lunch at The Nest Coffee Shop . That filled us up for the day. Most of the buildings in the main shopping area are quite old and interesting so do take time to walk around and see the sights if you decide to visit. There is also a park for the children to play in. It is well worth taking a drive there. 




Thankfully I have kept the Eucharist Lily alive so far which my friend gave me  and it is very pretty but reaching the end of its days I think. 




After such a warm day yesterday it was a bit of a shock when the cold front came through today and brought with it a bitterly cold wind. It was too unpleasant for me to do any gardening so I sat in the sun on the enclosed back verandah and noticed the blossoms on a tree 'down the back'. I thought I had better face the cold and take a photo of the flowers before they were all blown off in the dreadful wind. There isn't much flowering in the garden at the moment so it is nice to see something pretty especially on such a dreadful day. 



Our mayor has announced that the Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers will go ahead from the 18-27 September with some changes of course so do check out the website if you are interested in visiting our city at that time. I noticed in Queens Park last week that the planting has already been done in the gardens and they should look spectacular as usual in spring. Also the Cobb and Co Museum has reopened and if you would like to visit you do need to book your free ticket online beforehand. I think it will be free until the end of August. However, you don't need to book if you want to have a coffee at Cobb's Cafe which is open daily from 9am to 3pm .

Our Queensland Premier has announced that we are moving to Stage 3 Easing of Restrictions and will be opening to other states apart from Victoria where there has been a spike in numbers of people who have been infected with the Coronavirus. Also overseas flights will now arrive in Brisbane instead of Melbourne where hopefully people will adhere to the mandatory quarantine in hotels. So wherever you live do stay safe and I am sure everyone realises how contagious this virus is. The numbers of people infected overseas is mind boggling. 

Have a wonderful weekend. 



10 comments:

  1. I have been to Salts Antiques at Crows nest a few times. I used to find it an interesting stop.
    Those slippers look so warm and comfy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri, I remember seeing that business as we drove up the highway. It is a nice drive from Toowoomba.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely thing to do in winter is to go for a drive and having something in mind was even better. I'm sure the shop owner was thrilled to have some visitors purchase goods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I should make a habit of doing some driving in the country in winter as it is so warm in the car especially in the recent windy weather.

      Delete
  3. Chel It sounds like you had a lovely day. Next time we venture south to Toowoomba, I'll try to get to Crows Nest. We have been there as my hubby's family have a history there. Those slippers look so comfortable, bargains are often to be found in country areas.I hope the weather warms up for you. It has turned cold here as well, which is a bit of shock. Stay warm, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, I was amazed that the shoes were cheaper than online or in larger towns. It has been cold here over the weekend especially yesterday but it will warm up again during the week I think.

      Delete
  4. I remember having lunch at that place in Crows Nest when we passed through a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that most of the shops and cafes were quite old. The food in the cafe was delicious though.

      Delete
  5. I love those slippers. Such nice colours. It is great to support local shops this way. We do the same in The Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you had a lovely outing Chel. Those slippers look so comfortable.

    I too love going to small towns, and supporting small independant stores.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...