Saturday 28 November 2020

Christmas Markets

 Normally at this time of the year we have quite a few Christmas markets and this year is no exception. All of them seem to be going ahead during the pandemic apart from the Cobb and Co Museum's Handmade under the Stars which has been cancelled for 2020. I am not sure why one event goes ahead and another is cancelled but there seem to be a number of inconsistencies where restrictions are concerned. At the moment the annual Bush Christmas  is in full swing. This is an exhibition where artisans from remote areas can showcase and sell their arts and crafts and, believe me, they are a very creative lot. 


A couple of friends and I went along yesterday before the weather heats up this coming week as the forecast is for 39C on Wednesday. I think I will be taking myself off to the movies that day so that I survive although we do have aircon now but I hate just staying in a room with the door and windows shut to keep cool and then have to go out into the rest of the house which is like an oven. We don't have open plan living here as this is an old wooden house with hallways and rooms going off from there which is harder to cool down. 



There is a great variety of arts and crafts at the exhibition and so much of it is high quality like these hammers. 




I am always particularly keen on the tinwork.




Barbed wire features a lot and you can buy a barbed wire hat, a wreath ....




....or a heart embellished with a flower that looks like it has been cut from a tin can and spray painted. Most of the artisans aren't at the exhibition otherwise I would ask them how the flowers are made. 





How would you like this in your garden? I love it!





Inside there are some amazing displays and these spoons by Wolfgang and Janette Schulze  are always stunning. 




The exhibition finishes on Friday 4th December if you live in the region and plan to visit. 




Next Friday the Farmers' Market will hold a Twilight Market from 4-8pm as well as their usual market on Saturday. The weather forecast is for a storm on Friday so we will see what happens as the storms usually go around us and we haven't had rain for some time. 

There will also be a Festive Twilight Market at the Mills Precinct on the 12th December from 4-9pm. I have never been there so might pop in and see what it is like not that I need to buy anything but it is always interesting to see what people are making these days. There won't be anyone here at Christmas to buy craft items for as neither of my children will be here I dare say so it will just be us and my sister once again. 

It is great that most of the markets can go ahead as some people who do craftwork for a living have had no outlets since March. 




I am really not looking forward to the heatwave that is on its way from down south. I have been dragging out all the shadecloth I can find in an effort to save my vegetables from being fried to a crisp and hopefully they will survive. Most of the roses are still being eaten by insects but they do manage to leave one or two alone so that I can pick them. This rose is 'Peace'

I hope that you are enjoying the weekend are are staying safe and well if you live overseas and are in an area where COVID-19 is prevalent. Here in Queensland we are fortunate to be COVID free at the moment and our borders are opening up to the rest of Australia soon I believe. There will be a lot of family reunions this Christmas I imagine. 














5 comments:

  1. Beautiful crafts.
    While a heatwave is coming your way, a cold front is moving in here on Tuesday.

    Stay cool, Chel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nil,at the moment I wouldn't mind swapping places. LOL!

      Delete
  2. The markets look great with lots of interesting things. The heatwave is horrible at the moment and my air-conditioner isn't working either so last night I was awake most of the night as it was too hot to go to sleep...would love some light evening thunderstorms to cool things down however none are forecast. Going to the movies is a great idea to keep cool. Have a good week. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, no rain here either as the storms went around us...again. We had a cool 31C today but the heat ramps up tomorrow until Tuesday 🙄 I hope you get your aircon fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the tin man!! Got that grotty garden clothes vibe, I'm always trying for, myself. Glad to hear your sister is well enough to go places with you again. I know you mentioned she had some mobility issues, earlier, where you had to take her to the doctors. Nice to hear she has recovered.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...