Thursday 9 November 2023

Another month gone

 Recently we have had fires in Queensland which thankfully have been doused a little in the SE by some thunderstorms and general rain. We had about 24mls here but other places scored a lot more rain. 


Gardenia Grandiflora Star

Still, a little rain is better than no rain at all and the garden appreciated what did fall. Up until this week I have been picking Gardenia flowers each day and the smell is wonderful. However, our one plant has finished flowering for this year and perhaps I should take it out of its pot and plant it in the ground as it would be nice to be able to pick more blooms next year. This one was a freebie from our local Council which gives residents two free plants a year. 



The Hollyhocks are still flowering and look spectacular due to their height....



...but I was disappointed that we only have pink and purple ones this year. Next year I must remember to plant the red ones as well. 





A friend gave me this Yellow Calla Lily a few years ago as well as a  Purple Calla Lily which hasn't appeared as yet. 




A chap who passes by our place regularly saw our pink poppies growing last year and stopped and asked me to keep him some seeds which I did and, in return, he gave me four Iris plants but so far only this one, Seasons in the Sun has flowered. I am not really an Iris fan but he is big time.



This is one tame magpie which joined us on the front verandah recently but we didn't feed it as it isn't healthy to do that to birds as they need to be able to find their own food. I would say someone in the neighbourhood has been feeding it. 

If you have ever bought seeds etc. from Green Harvest you may not be aware that they have closed down. I only found that out last week so was very surprised. 



This year my sister broke her wrist in a fall and, if you have ever done the same, you will realise that there are so many things you can't do that you could previously including using a can opener. So I went to the mobility place here in town and bought her a One Touch Can Opener which is fantastic as you just sit it on top of the can in the correct spot, push the button and it just works its way around the top of the can. It was so good I bought one for us as well as I couldn't find a decent can opener anywhere. Now I am happy. LOL!

I can't believe we are almost at the end of another year. I have decided I need to go through old photos etc. and get rid of a lot of things that nobody else is going to want down the track. So next year will be a sorting through and getting rid of year. How about you?

Have a great week and keep well and happy!






2 comments:

  1. My hollyhock still hasn't flowered. It is amazing how quickly the year is disappearing. Earlier this year I threw out lots and lots of photos. I need to do a spring clean of other things as spring is nearly over so will try to get to it this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of plants that still haven't flowered but I think they are also pink. I hope yours opens soon as they really are stunning plants. Mine just tower over me.

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...