Monday 3 August 2015

Whole Orange Cake (with no added sugar)

On the Down to Earth Forums we have been chatting about Rhonda's Whole Orange Cake recipe which has been around for a while but new forum members often find the recipe and decide to give it a try so while I was thinking about it I thought I would see if I could make the cake without added sugar as I hadn't made it for a couple of years as I don't bake all that often.



 You can find Rhonda's ingredient list here:


Here are the ingredients I used:

1 orange
3 eggs
3/4 cup Dextrose (available from some supermarkets, Big W and home brew shops)
1 1/2 cups Self Raising flour 
1/2 -3/4 cup Olive Oil instead of butter as I had run out.




Firstly turn the oven onto 180C or 350F. Then wash and cut the orange into segments and put in the food processor and process until it is broken up into small pieces then add the other ingredients...



and mix for about 30 seconds or so until combined well. 


Put into a cake tin lined with baking paper and bake for approximately 40 minutes then check to see if it is cooked. 


I covered the cake with foil for the last fifteen minutes as it was starting to burn a little on top and I think I heard that that can happen when using Dextrose. Take out of oven and cool before slicing.



Make a cuppa then slice the cake and enjoy it with some cream and if you are really motivated you might even whip your cream beforehand ;-) We have the lurgy in the house so nobody is terribly motivated at the moment and whipping cream isn't a priority.

This cake is quick and easy to make and tastes great too so give it a try if you would like a no-added sugar version or else try Rhonda's original recipe and perhaps ice it with lemon icing. From memory I made it with mandarins a while back to and it was equally as nice. You could also use the recipe to make muffins to put in lunch boxes.

Have a wonderful week everyone!








15 comments:

  1. Chel,

    After reading your post about David Gillespie's book and going sugar-free, I investigated dextrose. There is a home brew shop in a nearby town where I can buy some! Your orange cake looks delicious and easy to make. I'm going to clip the recipe to my Evernote recipe notebook and try it out. Thanks for sharing! I hope you all feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sue, do a bit of experimenting with the Dextrose. I have only used it twice so far and don't add as much as the amount of sugar in a recipe just to check how sweet it turns out. I must admit my taste buds have changed over the six months or so too.

      Delete
  2. We love this cake too. Our version is the traditional Jewish Passover one made with ground almonds instead of the flour. I bet this one is delish too...Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of that one, Mimi. It sounds interesting. I will have a look on your blog to see if the recipe is there.

      Delete
  3. Now that looks lovely - especially with a cuppa and a sit-down

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's right, Phil! Nice and quick as well as easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to making this one Chel. I use 3 or 4 of David Gillespie's recipes regularly but am a bit tired of them and need a change. It looks good. Quick too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hutchy, there are heaps of recipes on I Quit Sugar. I have only tried a couple of them but do intend to branch out.

      Delete
  6. Nanna Chel,
    Sound delish. I have Rhonda's book so I can try it after I finish dieting. Hope you and yours get better. That lurgy seems to be doing the rounds. The change in weather isn't helping either. Stay warm.
    -Shiralee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shiralee, the weather is crazy here isn't it? We were in Tshirts at the weekend and now I have four layers of clothes on. LOL!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for posting this, I'm keen to try cooking it with olive oil instead of butter as DD is dairy free for now. Hope your week is going great! Xxkel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kel, that will be a challenge for you! It is all a bit of trial and error, isn't it?

      Delete
  8. I've made whole orange cake a couple of times but never without sugar. This looks great, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...