Monday 24 July 2017

Sashiko Embroidery Workshop


On the weekend our Simple Living Toowoomba group held a Sashiko Embroidery workshop. It is quite a fascinating form of embroidery and I would say it would require quite a lot of patience to complete a large article using this method. However, the results are stunning and well worth the time and effort put in.



One of our very talented ladies, Margaret, who seems to have tried every craft known to man or woman, presented the workshop.



She brought along all the supplies to be used and had precut the fabric squares which were to be embroidered.


Sorry if the colours in the photos look a bit odd but there was sun streaming into the room we were in and I didn't realise until I downloaded them onto the computer that they all look washed out so I have had to darken them. Each person picked the colour they wanted to embroider....





...then the pattern was drawn on...


...and the stitching was begun.


Some of the ladies finished theirs during the workshop and they did a really good job. 


One of them brought along a couple of larger squares she had already embroidered beforehand and they are shown in the above photo and the first photo. Aren't they absolutely beautiful?


Today she finished her coaster off by 'bagging' it which apparently means sewing two pieces together and turning them out. Obviously I am not a quilter as I didn't know what that meant. 



Margaret brought along a few books to show us some patterns. The one above is Sashiko:Easy & Elegant Designs for Decorative Machine Embroidery.



... and Sashiko: Traditional Japanese Quilt Designs by Nihon Vogue



She also picked up this child's kimono from an Op Shop which was done in Sashiko embroidery.



What a lot of work went into this and quite possibly it wasn't appreciated at all by the former owner.

If you would like to learn more about Shasiko embroidery there are several books, both used and new, to choose from on this eBay page as well as some good tutorials here on YouTube.

We are always on the lookout for new skills we can learn at our Simple Living Group get-togethers. We are still finalising the workshop for August and it will quite possibly be one on composting and worm farming, how to make beeswax wraps and how to reduce plastic in our daily lives. I am sure most Aussies saw the ABC series 'The War on Waste' which was an eye-opener to lots of people. It really is worth watching if you haven't already seen it.

I know that the post I did on How to start up a Simple Living Group was very popular and I wonder if any of my readers have considered starting up a similar group in their area? Do let us know if you have.





15 comments:

  1. Weeeellll. I was thinking about that very subject this morning, that is starting a simple living group. (I just stopped in the middle of writing this to watch my husband speed up to the front of the property in his tractor with two puppies in hot pursuit. A simple joy in the watching.) I notice that Simple Living Toowoomba is a ministry of the Good Shepherd Lutheran Church. Are you able to share how the church sponsor's Simple Living Toowoomba? I am only asking so I can raise the suggestion of a similar group being held in our church hall. We already have the local quilters group meet regularly in the hall, and I thought a Simple Living group may be good idea. Goodness knows that anything that can help our local communities build resilience in these days of sky-rocketing power prices (which will lead to increased prices in all other areas) and stagnating wages, has to be worth considering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherri, we no longer meet at the Good Shepherd Church but another church has given us permission to use their venue for workshops which is great as they have a kitchen there too. If you are not doing a cooking workshop and someone is just talking on a tooic your council may have a room you can use for free. We have a number of them here including one at the library. I know one lady who has small workshops at her house in Sydney. We started off small four years ago. We can also promote our workshops for free in the local newspaper and on the radio. You only need a couple of like minded people to get going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chel, I adore this type of embroidery. So simple, yet so effective. That looks truly stunning! Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite stunning, Mimi. Especially the white cotton against the navy background.

      Delete
  4. Finding that child's Kimono at an op shop is a treasure. You just never know what you may find.
    Sounds like it was another fantastic workshop.
    Reducing waste would be terrific. We all watched the War on Waste programs and highly recommend them.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie, Margaret is an excellent Op Shopper :-)

      Delete
  5. I love sashiko embroidery! I have a little kit here, that I brought from a market, to give it a try. I will have to dig it out and give it a go. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, yes give it a try. Most of the ladies at the workshop were making mug rugs with their samples.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful workshop, I do wish I could get to them maybe next year. Margaret is an amazing lady and skilled at all she puts her hand too.
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy we were talking about you on Saturday and were wondering what you were up to.

      Delete
  7. I had never heard of this beautiful technique! Now I will have to research and watch youtube videos!! It really is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See Kathy, you learn something new every day.

      Delete
  8. I had to google Sashiko Embroidery after I saw this...it's beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn I had never heard of it until recently either.

      Delete
  9. I can't imaging how much work went into making that kimono.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...