Monday 19 January 2015

Is THIS the year you make your first batch of soap?

Now I know there are a few readers of my blog who have been wanting to make soap for some time but just haven't been brave enough after being put off by the warnings about using Caustic Soda. Well, procrastinate no longer as this is YOUR soapmaking year!!!



 I was making a batch of soap a couple of days ago and I was thinking of all those people who would dearly love to make their own but just need a little motivation to get going. It took me a while before I was brave enough to give it a try but once I had made that first batch I realised how easy it was. Of course, you have to be careful with using the Caustic Soda but if you take the necessary precautions you should find the soap making process quite easy and enjoyable.

Over the couple of years I have been making my own soap I have experimented with a few different types of soap such as...
 










I just used Rhonda's Pure Soap recipe for this soap and had some calendula infused olive oil on hand so added that instead of the ordinary olive oil. I picked calendula flowers and dried them in a roasting pan out in the sun with some glass over them for a couple of days and then added them to a bottle of olive oil which sat out in the sun for a week or two. The process is pretty much the same as Rhonda's when she is making Calendula Salve. You can also find detailed instructions on how to make soap here on Rhonda's Down to Earth blog.


So....if you have been wanting to make your own soap then give it a try. I have put most, if not all, the recipes I have used here if you would like to start off with one of those. The most complicated soap I have ever made is the Goat's Milk Soap and it wasn't really hard to make but just a little different as I froze the milk first so that it wouldn't burn when the Caustic Soda was added. I had no problems with it at all despite reading that others had had flops but it is all trial and error and even the weather can have an effect on how your batch turns out.

If you would like a little support group to cheer you on as you make your first batch of soap then come over to the Down to Earth Forums and ask any questions you like. (At the time of writing there is some maintenance work being done on the forums but just check later on after it is finished and all should be well. Forums do require patches and all that techy stuff to be done regularly). Everyone has been in the same position as yourself and we all understand if you are hesitant but I am sure that they will all tell you how much they have enjoyed the soap making process once they finally took the plunge. 

































30 comments:

  1. Nanna Chel your soap looks amazing. I havent made soap in a few years. I agree when you overcome the worry about the caustic soda it is easy. I always mixed it out on the lawn and when it cooled did the next bit inside. And I always guessed the temperatures and never had a thermometer and it always worked! My best one was goats milk and olive oil... I still have the recipe. Your moulds are just gorgeous.... you are encouraging me to get going again. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annabel, I always mix the Caustic Powder out on the front verandah and I always wear gloves when working with it. I must admit I use my thermometer to get the temperatures of the soda and oils to 50C.

      Delete
  2. I have been given a choice between a soap or candles course with Gavin as a Christmas gift. i had decided on candles because i might actually be able to do it but maybe, just maybe .......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda, why not do the soap course and then you will see how easy it is?

      Delete
  3. Hi Chel, Yes I am going to have a go at some of your lovely recipes. I have copied and pasted them all into word so I can print them off and have them on hand. Let you know how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, I thought I might buy some essential oils this year for a change too.

      Delete
  4. I am one of those procrastinators! I have tried just about everything except for soap making. Every year I say this is the year that I will make soap, but before I know it the year has passed and I still haven't made any soap. I have bought moulds and the ingredients, just not quite game...

    Your soap looks lovely Nanna Chel :)

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I knew there were some procrastinators out there, Tania. Just do it and you will wonder why you left it so long. I had Rhonda's step by step instructions with photos beside me the first few times I made it just to make sure I was doing it properly. I am waiting to see the photos of your first batch!

      Delete
  5. Nanna Chel,
    You know I'm one of those fearful procrastinators too. I just have to get a quiet enough house to make sure safety issues are fine and I'll be giving this a go for sure. Meanwhile re-milled soap is my step into it. Your recipes will be helpful too.
    -Shiralee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shiralee, tie up the dog and ask your parents to have a sleep-in and off you go!

      Delete
  6. Like you Chel, I was hooked on soap making after my first batch. I love making it, I love using it and it is such a wonderful addition to a gift basket for someone. It really is quite easy and then you wonder why you hadn't tried it sooner ........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandi, it is just being brave enough to take that first step, isn't it? After that it is a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes, i finally made some too, though my 1st batch is only good for liquid soap, lovely to use i might add the 2nd batch worked out better, still not hardening off completely though, it's just sitting in the kitchen doing that, will be using it soon as am almost out of Tilley's soap.
    your soaps look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Selina, was it you who had the trouble with getting it to trace as you didn't have a stick blender and it was taking ages? I let my soap dry out for six weeks before using it and I always make sure I don't leave it in a soap holder where water can gather underneath as it makes it go soggy. It is fine on the shower rack. Some soaps are harder than others depending on what the ingredients are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if Selina may have hard water?

      Delete
    2. I guess that is possible, Phil. Not sure though.

      Delete
  10. It took me ages to pluck up the courage to make my first batch - now I am unstoppable. So satisfying to make.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think we all feel a little silly after we have made our first batch and then wonder why we put it off so long. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ahh you read my mind. My problem is the ingredients - I need to source them and I keep forgetting!

    Ill have to dig up a recipe and write a list for our next stop to the hardware shop. ;)

    Your soap looks amazing!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd get your hubby to take the boys out for an hour or so when you make it, Emma. That way you can concentrate on what you are doing. You will enjoy the results I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I might do it when they are in bed. The days are long here at the moment and the boys are early-to-bed which gives me some sunshine still. :) Then he can help me, I think that might give me courage! LOL!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it, Emma. I will expect photos soon :-)

      Delete
  15. Gosh your soap making looks very professional. It's funny because I made soap for the first time a year ago and really enjoyed the process and yes, I was slightly scared of the caustic soda and then I used all the soap up and it took me months to have another go...again...have only made it once so it was like starting again. I did use some individual moulds this time round and the soap stuck to them and was too mushy but my big block was okay....I really wanted the "hand made ones" for birthday presents in Feb but they will just have to have a slice of soap off the big block so I'm still feeling very much like an amateur. It does give you a great sense of satisfaction even if I haven't perfected it yet...also my trace took way way longer than everyone states so I don't know what's going wrong given my temps were correct. I'm using a recipe and kit from Green Living Australia and the temp is 38 degrees whereas Rhonda's is 50 degrees. (I think, don't quote me on Rhonda's as I didn't re look it up. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kathy, I always have the temps at 50C and reach trace within a couple of minutes. I have no problems getting the soap out of the silicone moulds without oiling but the moulds I used for the soap at the top of the post need to go into the freezer before turning out the soap.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes! It is definitely on my list to try this year, I even found a stick blender at the thrift store for $2.50! just for soap making. I will get there! Where did I put my list?! :) Thanks for the reminder, I tend to let my list get a little long and sometimes forget something that looked fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kathy, no excuse mow that you have your stick blender. I look forward to seeing photos of your first batch. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You remind me that it's ages since my last batch and I have all the ingredients sitting there waiting to be used! I find it a little difficult to make the time to clean up the kitchen in readiness and have the kids out of the way for long enough. But I must do it, I love handmade soap :) Yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when you have little children it does make it a little more difficult, Kelly. I always try to schedule making mine for when the menfolk are out of the house so that I don't get distracted. I do tend to be a bit scatty.

      Delete
  20. Hi Nanna Chel. Making soap for the first time is one of my goals for this year. I'm going to start looking in the op shops for some baking moulds

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wendy, if you can't find any in the op shops the dollar stores have them for a couple of dollars. They work really well and I never have to oil them. It is only the expensive ones that I have to put in the freezer to release the soap. All the best with your first batch. I look forward to seeing it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...