Monday 15 May 2017

A new soapmaking experiment ~ The Hanger Swirl


On The Home Maker's Forum there is a challenge on the go for those who have made a few batches of soap and would like to experiment with something new. We have chosen the 'hanger swirl' for the first challenge and I thought I would try out some of the new clays I bought recently.



I was quite taken by the Lavender Soap tutorial on Eve's Garden and really liked the colours she used but when I had a good look at my clays the green was an Olive Green and the new Pastel Pink clay was too dark so I opted for the Australian pink clay I had bought a while back as well as the Pansy Mica I used for my last batch of soap with some Ultramarine that I have been trying to use up for ages. I also decided to add some Titanium Dioxide to the uncoloured batch to give a more whitish colour and had some ready to add to the pink clay if it was too dark.

Of course, that meant I was working with four different lots of soap mixture which also meant I needed to be really, really organised! OF COURSE I was organised....I had my lye and water weighed and ready to get going and had the olive oil and rice bran oil on the stove ready to heat up when I added the copha which was in the fridge....or was it? It was nowhere to be seen.

I had forgotten to buy it!!!! Oops!




Well, the delay was probably a blessing in disguise as, by the time I had bought the copha, I was much more organised with where to put everything and had the oils added to the colours ready to go....well kind of. LOL! With this type of technique you don't want to reach trace too quickly so I hardly used the stick beater so as to keep the mixture rather thin and easy to pour into the mould as I have been known to mix to a thick trace and end up with a globby mess when trying to get it into the mould.




In the end I was quite pleased with the result and couldn't wait until the next day to take it out of the mould BUT, as always I was too impatient and the soap was much too soft to unmould so I left some of it behind as it got stuck in the corners. Oh well, those bits and pieces will be dried and used for liquid soap as I just put some in a container and fill it up with hot water.




This is the recipe I used.

500g Olive Oil (I used some that I had infused lemongrass in but there was no scent)
250g Copha
250g Rice Bran Oil
140g caustic soda
380g water (I used SoapCalc. The Brambleberry calculator said 330g water)
Australian pink clay
Pansy mica
Ultramarine liquid




As you can tell from the photo some of the soap is crumbly so I did something very wrong with this soap as I made it last Thursday which is four days ago and, although it is getting harder with each passing day, it is still soft to touch. Still I quite like the design and I don't think it is too bad for a first try. I dare say it will dry out over the next few weeks and if I decide to try the hanger swirl again I might get it to a thicker trace before pouring next time. 

We were having a bit of a joke on the forum about what to name it...'Berry Mousse' or 'Mixed Berry Surprise' but I thought that 'Berry Crumble' would be more descriptive. LOL!  

Used with permission


Edited to add: One of the soapmakers on The Home Maker's Forum has given me permission to post a photo of the soap she made in the challenge and she used the hot process method which I have never tried before. It is very pretty. 







16 comments:

  1. Wow those are beautiful Chel. How nice to have homemade soap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. You should give soapmaking a try if you haven't already.

      Delete
  2. Great article, where do you buy your clays from? I think it's time to start playing with colours. Looking at trying some clays

    Http://spottymoz.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi , I have bought some from Green Living Australia, Aussie Soap Supplies and Simply Natural Soap Making Supplies in Caboolture.

      Delete
  3. I think your soap is very pretty, Chel. I love the swirls! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. I think the swirling technique is a work in progress.

      Delete
  4. I love the colours in your soap, Chel...very pretty! The green/white soap that another forum member made is very nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow your soap is gorgeous, too pretty to use. I also love the green one. Take care, Guida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it is not too pretty Guida. I kind of mucked it up when I took it out of the mould too early.

      Delete
  6. Nanna Chel,
    Love those soaps and the colours are fantastic.And its great to see other people's soaps too. So pretty.
    Hope you are staying dry.
    -Shiralee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Shiralee the rain was nice but too foggy for me. Today is a better day.

      Delete
  7. As always, i ask myself "what the hell do you do with all this soap?"

    Yes its me. Foot in cast, wheelchair bound and bored stupid, sick of being idle. So where is my long promised blog post, i hear you ask (maybe). Somewhere on the other side of six seasons of Game of Thrones (gruesome but thrilling), a few books and of course i was on my back with my foot elevated for 23 hrs a day for two weeks. I've just popped my head out to see whats going on out there. I'll be back on two feet in six months so no gardening on the near horizon. Looks like i have lots of posts to read to catch up, so im off to see whats been keeping you busy, besides soap!!!!!

    Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...I never...you have surfaced! I did email you on the day I thought you were having your op but it was your work address as I don't have another one. I was wondering how you were going and thought you would be bored. You really need to write some blog posts anout your experience now :-)

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...