Sunday 15 October 2017

What a great swap package!


On The Home Maker's Forum we are currently having our Christmas swap. This was always a very popular swap on the now closed Down to Earth Forum and it is always fascinating to see the variety of swap items that are exchanged across the country and even overseas. My swap partner was, unlike me, very organised and posted my parcel the same day the swap partners were announced :-) Well, wasn't I absolutely gobsmacked when I opened it to find this beautiful patchwork bag!!!



My son saw me looking at it as I was saying 'Oh my goodness' over and over and asked what was wrong.



I showed him my swap items and said I hadn't even started making mine and he said 'No pressure, Mum'.  LOL! Of course not....none at all. Well, the fact is that I always procrastinate and wait almost until the due date to have the parcel posted but seeing as the last few days have been wet and dismal and I have had to stay inside it was the perfect opportunity to get cracking. Mind you, I am not complaining about the rain as we really need it. It hasn't been as heavy as areas closer to the coast but any rain is welcome at the moment.




Back to my bag, it is beautifully lined and is just perfect. I had seen one of these bags before and had a search online to see how they were made as, being straight line challenged, it seemed to be a very difficult project to make. I am sure that most quilters would know this but I found these tutorials which might help others who have no idea about quilting Postage Stamp Quilt Block Tutorial and Scrap Fabric Baskets Tutorial. I am not sure I will be tempted to give it a go as I already have so many craft projects to finish off to use up some of my 'stash' as I need to do a big declutter of it all one of these days.




Also in the parcel were these really handy hanging towels and cleaning wipes as well as a travel tissue cover...



...and it was all wrapped up in this lovely Christmas fabric. What a pleasant surprise that was!



As I mentioned before we are having some light rain at the moment and there is over an inch in the rain gauge. It is too wet to be outside for any length of time but when I do venture outside I look out for the latest cactus orchid that has bloomed as they are absolutely beautiful. I prefer the look of this one when it is closed rather than open. 

Have a great week everyone and enjoy the rain if you are having any. By the way I have tried to leave comments on some of the blogs I visit but my son has fiddled with some of the settings on the computer and they aren't being published. I have no idea how to fix it rather than use a different browser. Technology....sigh!





27 comments:

  1. Oh Chel, what a lucky lady you are. A lot of work in that bag and contents, I'm sure you will get a lot of use and enjoyment of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Barb, it is a very useful gift that's for sure. I love it all.

      Delete
  2. Lovely gifts from a clever and thoughtful swap partner. I think I would have had the same reaction as you. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie my swap partner is a very good sewer from the looks of all the swap items. I was very spoiled.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. That's for sure, Emma. The bag is so well made.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness Chel, I can see why you were chanting it over and over when you opened your gift. Glad you're getting some much needed rain up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain is very welcome, Sally. The coast has been inundated around SE Qld and we are grateful that the rain bands have moved inland enough to reach us. Some of the farmers are just thrilled of course.

      Delete
  5. The bag is so beautiful. And I like the other items too. What a practical gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an incredible package to receive! Just lovely work. You can see how much time and care she put into it. I'm sure your beautiful soaps would be very appreciated as a gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, I am not sure about the soap as mine is very wet at present due to the days of rain here so I am not sure how it would go in a parcel. It would be okay if it was dry weather when in transit.

      Delete
  7. What a really gorgeous and well-made gift for you, Chel. I think it's wonderful when people are so thoughtful and put so much effort into creating some joy for another person:) The rain has just been beautiful, woke up to the sound of it on the roof yesterday and I just lay there listening to it for a while. I hope all the farmers who needed rain got some too. Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very green north of us on the radar this morning and we had a couple of heavy showers but I think it must be bucketing down around the Sunshine Coast. The garden is happy though.

      Delete
  8. Wow Chel you really were spoilt. I had what I thought I would send my swap partner just about made when I saw what you had received. I had to revise the swap as it was nowhere near what you were given. Oh well, it is raining here too, and far to wet to be outside. The sewing room is calling me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your sewing and the rain Jane. Don't worry about the swap too much :-)

      Delete
  9. What a lovely gift. I'd love to be that organised but I am a last minute kind of person no matter how much I promise myself I won't be.
    I have been out of the loop too long. I had no idea the Down to Earth forum had closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy Rhonda closed it down at the beginning of the year and some brave members decided to start up The Home Maker's Forum so we could all keep in touch.

      Delete
  10. lovely items Nana Chel, wow definitely spoiled. love how some always think to put extras in!
    enjoy
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selina, I was definitely spoiled and it was all such a pleasant surprise.

      Delete
  11. What a beaut bag Nanna Chel - hardly a thing I could carry around without some smirks....but I love the concept

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mr.HM I think there would be a few smirks :-) I think your girls would pinch a bag like that off you though.

      Delete
  12. Lovely items you received in the swap, Chel! That bag is magnificent isn't it; a lot of work went into making it! I too tend to procrastinate about what to make and end up in a bit of a tiz to get the items made by the posting date! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria I am glad I am not the only one who procrastinates. If we have another rainy day tomorrow though I might get my swap items finished.

      Delete
  13. Thankyou for the links to the quilting tutorials. I'll save those for a rainy day, and hoping like mad that is tomorrow. How lovely for Christmas to come early with such a beautiful gift.Some people are so inspiring and clever. Enjoy the rain. Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline I do hope you get your share of the rain. The gardens just love it as it has been just too dry across Queensland over winter.

      Delete
  14. The bag is beautiful, such a lot of work has gone into your thoughtful gift. Lucky you! And plenty of rain here too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...