Saturday 10 August 2019

A birthday, cows and icy winds

I have had a lovely week celebrating my birthday with friends and tomorrow there will be more celebrating. When you get to 71 having a birthday shouldn't be taken lightly I guess as I have already lost a brother and two friends to cancer who were only in their early sixties. I have a number of really good friends some of whom I have known for over forty years.




During the week I was walking through one of our major shopping centres and came across some artists painting cows. It turns out that these 'Artists in Residence are creating their interpretation of 70th year of the Carnival of Flowers parade theme which is Power of the Flower' . The cows will form part of Grand Central's float.




Some of the cows are still a work in progress. 




An artist I know, Jennifer Wright-Summers, was painting her interpretation ....




...which features amongst other things some Indigenous people going to a Bunya Festival...





...and I think Jennifer has now finished her artwork as I walked passed again yesterday. 

Unfortunately we had to cancel our Lomandra basket weaving workshop today as the presenter became unwell but if anyone was wanting to come along we hope to have the workshop next year if possible. Our next workshop will be on preserving food which will include canning and the like as well as making kombucha and other healthy drinks plus lots more. 



We currently have icy winds blowing up from down south where it is snowing in some places. Brrr! I have moved some of my potplants in case we get a severe frost in the next few days. I bought myself a new daisy as my beautiful Zion Red African Daisy just up and died on me which was very  disappointing as it was growing quite well. I had grown it from a cutting my daughter gave me in Mt.Isa but apparently hers has died as well since then.  It did look darker than it does in the above photo. 




So I had a look at Bunnings for a replacement and the closest I could find was this one 'Flame Osteospermum' or 'Osteospermum Ecklonis' if anything is interested. It is a lovely colour and I will plant it out after this cold front passes through as, according to the weather forecasters, this is supposed to be the last of the cold weather for us here in SE Queensland.



I don't have much flowering in the garden at the moment as I have let it go to a certain extent due to the drought but a friend who is in the Geranium Club gave us yet another Patricia Andrea geranium which has just opened up. I have lost about three of these plants for some reason. I think I move the pots around that they are in and they get covered over by other plants. It is a beautiful plant so I really must look after it this time and put it in a safe place. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and if you are in the areas where that dreadful wind is blowing do stay warm. Here in SE Queensland it is really sunny and quite pleasant if you can get out of the wind but tomorrow might be a different story once the wind picks up. 






18 comments:

  1. I just love those cows Chel. Wishing you a wonderful birthday, and hope the celebrations will continue for some time. I always think that all birthdays after 60 should be celebrated for a week. Every year we're given is a true blessing. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally. Getting old has its challenges but not everyone gets to that stage so each year is to be appreciated.

      Delete
  2. I’m glad you had a wonderful birthday, Chel.
    You are lucky to have very long friendships. I think new friendships are good, but old friends who have been with us for so long are like gold.

    Stay warm and have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is 2C here today, Nil. There might be snow not that far from here tonight so that will be exciting.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday to you, Chel. It's wonderful that you have had lovely celebrations with dear ones. I think I have a white form (dark purple centre) of that daisy, I have grown it from a cutting I got, no flowers yet though. Those winds have arrived at our place. Stay warm! Meg🙂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Meg. Yes we have the white one with the purple centre which grows like a weed but still gives a bit of colour at this time if year. The garden is looking fairly woeful due to the drought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to have one of those cows, as a mailbox out the front! It's an inspired idea for a float. Love how the landscape, spans the cows' form (of your friends' work.) Instead of a cow being IN the landscape - the cow IS the landscape. It's a great concept.

    We're not predicted to get to 2C, until Tuesday. But then daytime temps are very mild - above 20C. Next weekend they're expecting it to get to 28C. Crazy winter weather. The wind is pretty intense, although no trees have fallen down yet. It's the time of year, for that to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris, when I checked the temp this morning it was 2C although the forecast was for 5C. The wind is terrible but it is nice and warm in a sheltered spot. I hope none of your trees blow down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday. We too are inside hiding from the cold. Having lost sister, brother-in-law and close friend in their 40s I was quite grateful when I passed that milestone. But now I am chugging towards the age my parents and parents-in-law died in their mid seventies and will be even more grateful if I hit that target. People would have us think that living until we are 100 is to be expected - not sure my body would be up to that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No I doubt I will live that long although my mother was only a few years off 100 but she always said in her later years that it was time to go 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chel Happy Birthday. It is more than a bit cool and windy here on the coast. I am just happy to have the colourful foliage of the broms. Love how these survive on lack of care. Stay warm and continue to enjoy your Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Jane. We have lots of broms and you are right, they are colourful and don't require much care. It sounds like the Stanthorpe region will get a little snow during the night. No wonder it is chilly in this old house. Brrr!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, nuts! I forgot to wish you a happy 70th Chel. I meant to put that in my comment yesterday, too. I'm glad you've reached another milestone. You always look so spry at the Toowoomba Simple Living Group meetings. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 71 this year, Chris. I had the BIG one last year. I don't feel too spry when I get out of bed in the morning 😄

      Delete
  12. happy belated birthday! glad you had a wonderful day!
    those painted cows are wonderful & a great way to get a message across, very creative
    aren't those winds just horrid!? it's been in the minus' in a few spots around here though i think our lowest & coldest is yet to come, just wish we would get some rain, it's so dry here too; most of my garden has gone too Chel, have been replacing a lot with more drought tolerable & hardy plants.
    stay warm!
    great post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Selina. Long time no hear so I hope you are keeping well. I thought we were over the cold weather now but perhaps there is still time for some frosty weather. Yes, rain would be much appreciated.

      Delete
  13. Belated Happy Birthday Chel. I hope you have had a wonderful birthday week, and you are only as old as you feel. I think you will be one of those inspiring people when you hit your 90s. Cows make a wonderful canvas don't they, such clever artists in your area. Stay warm, Best wishes, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pauline, I am not sure about the 90s bit. LOL! Sometimes I wonder where the years went when I think about being 71. I was only a teenager just the other day ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...