Tuesday 20 August 2019

A new craft started and finished

I had my first and probably last foray into the world of mosiacs these past few weeks. A few years ago on Rhonda's now closed Down to Earth Forum one of the members did a wonderfully inspiring tutorial on how to decorate a stepping stone with mosiacs. Of course I got excited and headed off to Bunnings to buy my supplies but then didn't quite get around to starting the project. Sound familiar?



I had bought a stepping stone, tile glue, grout and a few tiles in different colours but there they sat all those years waiting for me to get motivated.  When the tradies were here recently doing the renovations I saw a lot of tiles being wasted and wondered if I could rescue them to use in some kind of project. Then I remembered the stepping stone tutorial and dug out the tiles I had bought all that time ago. However I discovered that the laundry and bathroom tiles were much thicker and apparently it is important to use tiles that are the same thickness so I bought a couple more of the smaller ones in Bunnings and got to work.



I had some of the green tiles from the kitchen renos left over which I used as a type of border for my first attempt. I really didn't know what I was doing and had never used grout before but Jo who was our presenter recently for the Simple Living Toowoomba Mosiac and Leadlighting workshop had offered to help some of us get started so a friend and I went to her place and saw some of her lovely work and she explained the process. She uses clear liquid nails  instead of the tile glue so I bought myself a tube but my, oh my, it is very messy and I ended up gluing my gloves to the tiles much of the time. LOL! Firstly the tiles are put in a towel and smashed with a hammer. I did that and then tried to work out a design which I changed a thousand times...at least. Then I had to remember the design and glue the back of each piece of tile and glue it down before it dried. Anyway I ended up with the finished product above. 



Then I had an idea of trying to design a scene with the blue sky and sun at the top of the paver with the ocean beneath which could be seen through the trees in places. Hmm, well that didn't quite work out but you can only try eh? I took the photo outside so it isn't too good but to be honest, I was just glad it was finished. 



My third and possibly last project included a ladybird I had seen here on Pinterest. Well, it was harder to do than it looked on Pinterest which is usually the way. After the tiles were glued I had to wait 24 hours before putting on the grout which I ran out of for the last paver which was a bit unfortunate. After another 24 hours I sealed the stepping stones so that they would survive our constant rain. That's a joke in case you don't realise as it hasn't rained here for many months but it will again one day. 


I still have to set the pavers into the soil in between the half dead plants which you can see in the above photo. I imagine they will be filthy in no time as we seem to have a lot of dust flying around these days. If you would like to learn more about mosiacs then check out The Mosiac Store which is a great source of inspiration. 


 I am not sure if I will do any more mosiac work in future although I still have quite a few of the off -white tiles left over from the renos but I am not sure what to do with them. There is an almost full box of them as well as the ones that have already been cut. There is so much waste in the building industry which just amazes me.




As I mentioned a lot of the plants are half dead but I have been watering the freesias which have started flowering....



... as well as the cliveas that survived being trampled on by the painters when the outside of the house was painted. They always make a nice show around the time of the Carnival of Flowers which starts next month. The rest of the plants will get a little water and hopefully they will survive till we get rain. 

If you have done mosiac work did you find it easy or was it fiddly and messy for you too? I will go back to my loom knitting now :-)











11 comments:

  1. Chel you've done a wonderful job with your mosaics. I especially like the flowers in the first photo, and the three of them together on your garden path has inspired me to have a go soon with some of the tiles I've been hoarding. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, it is harder than it looks to do mosiac work but I think the liquid nails were a but too messy so I will use tile glue next time...if there is a next time :-)

      Delete
  2. Chel I think these are great and will look wonderful in your garden.This kind of craft takes a lot of practice but I love seeing these homemade works of art in peoples homes. I saw a lot of mosaics in England made out of broken pieces of Bone China that people didn't want and they were really attractive too. I can almost smell your freesias from here:) And I love the cliveas. Very inspiring. Cheers, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, I agree that it takes a lot of practice. I would love to work with some old crockery as I have seen some lovely items on Pinterest. Not sure if I could smash up those old pieces though.

      Delete
  3. I think your mosaics are really nice. I got quite put off mosiacs because our Spanish neighbour in Canberra many years ago had a huge mailbox done in mosiacs. Then I saw the wonderful ones at San Marco Bassilica in Venice and changed my mind.

    It's really dry here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There might be a little rain this week but I am not holding my breath. Hopefully we will get some spring rain.

      Delete
  4. These are lovely Chel. I especially appreciated the tip about using the liquid nails. These stepping stones, will add a great splash of colour in the garden though. Especially when the rain hasn't been around, to green everything up. I imagine the city is going through a lot of water, to get the gardens ready for the Carnival of Flowers. It would be great it if rained soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris, I imagine some of the gardeners are using bore water. I think a lot of plants are going to be flowering too early but I think the same thing happened last year too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, the rain arrived overnight! And is spoiling us again, today. :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks Maria. It is a bit hard on the hands unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...