Saturday 30 May 2020

A warm weekend

Last weekend we froze and this weekend the skies are blue and the sun is shining so we are back to our normal wintery days once again just in time for the official beginning of winter on Monday. I had to look at the calendar to see what day the 1st June is as most weeks lately I have no idea what day or date it is. Does that sound familiar in these crazy times?



I haven't achieved a lot in the craft department apart from loom knitting several beanies for the homeless as the nights are getting cold here and I hate the thought of anyone having to sleep outside. Prior to the coronavirus shutdowns several churches in town were planning to arrange to have the homeless sleep in the churches overnight  but I daresay they have had to postpone that happening at this stage as Queensland still has restrictions in place. However on the 1st June several Australian states will be easing their restrictions even more and Queensland will follow on the 12th June and then 20 people at a time can meet up in various venues. Our Queensland borders are still closed at present.





I go to the local Farmers Market each Saturday and, as it was such a beautiful day today the venue was packed but the majority of people were keeping to the self distancing guidelines. Vonnie from  Von Katz Soaps was there with her soaps etc......




....including these antibacterial soaps which would come in handy these days. 




Her gift packs are very pretty and would make a welcome gift for a friend or family member. Vonnie has an online shop if you don't live locally and her soaps are available at Danish Flower ArtColours of San Cris at Cabarlah and at a few other places as well. A friend told me that Colours of San Cris is a great cafe to visit if you are passing through Cabarlah or want to go for a drive out of town...now that we can :-)




Jill from The Veg Table sells heirloom vegetable seedlings and they are the best so do check out her stall if you are at the market.



Suanne from Green Dandelion was also there today and will be there once a month or so only as she still has her store which has moved to 1A Scholefield Street if you have been looking for her at Emerge Cafe.



After buying my veggies for the week I grabbed a coffee and went across the road to Queens Park to have a look at the gardens. Most of them have been planted out now as the gardeners prepare for the Carnival of Flowers although at this stage there is no certainty that it will go ahead but the plants will have to be put in regardless. 



Obviously I am not the only person who has pests eating my seedlings so that gives me comfort. LOL!

Our Toowoomba Regional Council Library has now reopened three days a week and patrons can now borrow 20 items instead of 15. The car park is not open at this stage as only a limited number of people can be in the building at one time and that includes the car park. I found that out when I drove past and saw it was shut and had to park at the nearby shopping centre and lug a box with 20 heavy books to the library :-) Once there someone met me at the door and I said I was returning books and had some on reserve so was able to take the books off the reserve shelf and then scan and borrow them. The computers have been removed and patrons can only pick up their books, borrow them and then leave. The returned books apparently are then quarantined for several days and cleaned before they are shelved. All measures are being taken to keep people safe from what I observed. The library is only open from Tuesday to Thursday at the moment. 

I have a note on Blogger telling me that they are making changes soon. Has anyone looked into this as I hate changes to Blogger settings?  :-( I hope that in your part of the world the sun is shining and you are keeping well and safe and are away from the craziness that seems to be prevalent in some countries at the present time.  






10 comments:

  1. The markets look great and those seedlings looked so healthy. As for the library carpark not sure why they would close that to be honest...I would think the majority of Toowoomba residents borrowing books would be the older generation and lugging 20 books to return further than the carpark seems silly. They could just have people wait in the car if there were too many people. The beanies look great too. Have a good week. Kathy A, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy it might be too hard for the library staff to monitor how many are in the car park as it is under the building, I did discover a side street near the library where I might be able to park but I am not sure if parking is free. Still the exercise won't do me any harm and I won't be returning twenty books at once from now on. They have been sitting in a box for weeks now and I have had to get used to reading eBooks 😏

      Delete
  2. Your beanies are so pretty and colorful.
    I too often forget what day or date it is. 😀

    I’ve been using new Blogger but I can’t add photos on the iPad. Either I have to switch to the old platform, or use the new one on the laptop.
    There were no emojis for a while, and today I saw they’ve been added to the new blogger.

    Hope you are having a relaxing weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nil there used to be a Blogger App and I could do a blog post when away from home and the PC but it isn't available now. I don't use the PC much these days so I wish Blogger would put out a new App so we could use our iPads to blog.

      Delete
  3. Even if the carnival doesn't go ahead it's good that there will be plenty of flowers for you to enjoy ... socially distanced of course. I saw the note about blogger changing but have not investigated what this will mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the rate things are going I think the Carnival could go ahead without the parade and the Food and Wine Festival in Queens Park. People could view the gardens without being too close to each other I am sure.

      Delete
  4. Gee your farmers market looks good. In the plan is new markets to start in Grafton next month - twilight markets on Thursdays. I hope the flower festival goes ahead, might even get to it this year if we’re allowed to cross the border by then

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, all being well the border will be open by then. If you do happen to arrive on a Saturday the Farmers Market is extra big during the Carnival and is just across the road from Queens Park at the Cobb and Co Museum.

      Delete
  5. Chel I am so late reading your post what with a few dramas happening around here etc. So much of interest in your post today, and I must send it to my sister in law who lives in Toowoomba. Really hope we can visit her soon, my hubby's hand accident has put paid to travel for a while. Let's hope the Carnival of Flowers can go ahead, with Queensland doing very well with the pandemic at present. A couple of friends here have completely shrouded their vegetable gardens with white netting. I'm not bothering with that. Also your markets look very interesting, Toowoomba is in such a very creative and agricultural zone which must be inspiring. I love those beanies, I would be so proud of those, and so inspiring that you can give those to the homeless. Stay warm and safe, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Chel I also meant to mention that I looked at the new blogger a few weeks ago, and there a few changes which worried me slightly but thought I would wait for a bit longer before rushing into it. They might iron out a few more issues with it while some people are trialling it. Nothing stays the same in the technological world does it, or in life for that matter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...