Wednesday 21 October 2020

On a quest or two

 Lately I have been finding that some of my soaps are becoming discoloured for some reason and I am on a quest to find out why. I wondered if the problem was what is called 'Dreaded Orange Spots' which I dismissed for ages as I just put it down to the weather at the time I made the soap but recently I have been wondering if that indeed is the problem. 



According to the Soap Queen some causes of the spots are:

Rancid oils
Humidity
The water used
Fragrance oil
High superfat




So I am trying to narrow down which ingredient is the culprit as I doubt that humidity is the problem seeing as it has been so dry this year.




I did check the Expiry Date on my oils and the Olive Oil and Castor Oil were past the Expiry Date. I haven't made a lot of batches this year so the Olive Oil is usually fairly fresh when I use it but perhaps that is the issue....or the Castor Oil ....or the Sunflower Oil which I have been using in the last few batches. I never had this problem years ago and also wondered if using the Room Temperature Method was also a cause but on looking back at old soap posts I realised I have been using that method for some time and haven't always had discoloured soaps. 
 



In this last batch I used a tried and true recipe of Jan Berry's which is Palm Free No Butter Soap and also added Egyptian Amber Fragrance Oil from Gavin's Little Green Workshops.  I have used this Fragrance Oil before with no problems so if this batch discolours I can rule that out. By the way, if anyone reading this wants to order some Fragrance Oils from Gavin a lot of his are out of stock at the moment and also Aussie Soap Supplies sadly burnt down recently but the owners are going to rebuild and they now have their website partially up and running again and you can keep updated also on their Facebook page. I am sure that most Aussie soapmakers will be keen to order from them once they are back up and running again and will support them. As if this year hasn't been difficult enough for businesses.




I am also on a quest to find out why my beautiful Blue Moon rose started out flowering like in the photo above....




but subsequent flowers are looking like this.  I think I should also go on a quest to find out why some of  my 'resized' photos turn out looking really odd. Perhaps I need to find another photo editor apart from the one that was on my computer when I bought it. 

I hope everyone is keeping safe and well. Here in Queensland life goes on pretty well as normal as far as we are concerned but, of course, it is different for many other people particularly those who are trying to keep their businesses afloat and pay rent, mortgages and feed their families. Still we are far better off than people overseas who are experiencing second and third waves of COVID-19. I pray that 2021 will be a much better year for everyone and, seeing as Christmas is only 65 days or so away the New Year is approaching quite quickly. It doesn't seem like that long ago that I was seeing 2020 in with my grandchildren on The Strand in Townsville. Happy memories!







6 comments:

  1. When I used to grow roses, I'd sometimes see the degradation of the 2nd photo, and there was usually a beetle type insect in the core of the rose who had already been destructive. Hope you find the cause for your rose.LDC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that info. Whatever it is it makes a mess of a beautiful rose.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm...I was thinking a beetle in the rose too??? I have had something munching on the leaves of calendulas here but they are still flowering regardless. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg I think there are a lot of munching insects around at present 😁

      Delete
  3. My comment just seemed to disappear. So trying again. Your soaps look nice even with spots but I can't say the same about your poor rose. Unfortunately I can't help with diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what is going on with my blog as it takes ages for me to be able to reply if I am on the iPad but on the phone I can reply immediately. Plus the sidebar takes about 2 1/2 minutes to download and I have no idea how to fix the problem 😒

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...