Friday 30 October 2020

Using up old craft supplies

 Years ago I used to do a lot of craftwork and even sold some for a time to help pay for school fees, etc. when the children were growing up. Over the years I have given away most of the supplies I had collected but did keep some decoupage and jewellery items as I thought they would come in handy. At one of the annual craft shows I attended in Brisbane I bought some gold foil which I don't think I actually used back then and wondered if it would still be usable after twenty or so years. The glue in the kit hadn't dried up after all that time so I thought I would give it a try on some indoor plant pots. 


So I opened an old bottle of Plaid's Royal Coat Decoupage Glue similar to the one in the link I guess and after twenty years it still worked well. I had also kept some beautiful decoupage sheets so cut them up and glued them on and gave the pot a few coats of the glue. 



Then I added gold foil to the rim of the pot and it stuck on really well. 




On another pot I experimented with using paper napkins but the thicker paper was much better to use as it is designed for decoupage. I was very pleased that my paint, glue and gold foil are still going strong after all these years. 




It is cactus orchid season and now all the flowers have opened up. Some bloom before others. 




This was one of the first. It is a red colour with touches of purple. 




An orange one. 




My husband calls this pink but to me it is more of an apricot colour...




...and he calls this one 'cherise' whereas I would call it purple. LOL!




My hollyhocks are starting to flower and so far only the single reddish/pink ones are flowering but I did plant some double ones during winter and they have some buds on them so I am anxiously waiting for them to open so that I can tell what colour they are as I want a variety of colours. The problem is we have been having storms (which they survived thankfully) and now we are in for days of hot weather in the high twenties and I don't think they really like the heat. I asked the gardeners at our council nursery when they plant the hollyhocks so that they are ready for the Carnival of Flowers and they said they plant the seed out in March so that is what I will do next year all being well. 




We have been having a challenge over on the Homemakers Forum to bake something different from the norm using up our sourdough starter so I made an olive and tomato rye sourdough loaf using the recipe in Emmanual Hadjiandreou's 'How to Make Sourdough' which one of my lovely friends gave me a while back. It is only a small loaf hence the small slices but it tastes very yummy. 




We were treated to a double rainbow on Wednesday. As mentioned Queensland has had a few stormy days this week and a lot of damage was done to crops and some houses that had trees fall on them but we were spared here thankfully. It was so sad to see on the news that some of our local farmers, who were ready to harvest after such a dry season, had to watch the huge hail devastate their crops and vegetables resulting once again in a huge loss to them. So very sad but they are such a resilient lot and most of them will bounce back and hopefully the forecasted wetter season will be of benefit to them for their next crop.


Our state election is on tomorrow so it will be interesting to see which way people will vote. Our border is opening up to NSW apart from Greater Sydney but is still closed to Victoria which has just come out of lockdown after a few months and I believe there is a lot of celebrating going on down there. Australia has now had 907 people pass away from COVID-19 and tragically 819 people died in Victoria resulting in the lockdown. I am sure people around the world are looking forward to resuming 'normal life' sometime in the not too distant future. 



Have a wonderful weekend and don't forget to vote if you are in Queensland. I voted a week ago so that's done and dusted!




12 comments:

  1. I have gradually given away the craft stuff I used to keep...my quilting has become my hobby now. I love what you have done to the pots! Very decorative indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have some craft stuff left which I think will eventually go to my granddaughters if they want it. Some crafts I just can’t do anymore due to a bit of arthritis.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love your découpage on the pots. You have turned something ordinary into something very beautiful. Well done. I will try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I have always loved that decoupage paper but never used it until now. Just as well I kept it for 20 years. LOL!

      Delete
  3. Your pots look absolutely beautiful, Chel. I have a few terra cotta pots which are outside but could be brought inside if they look like yours. I'll have to search google on how to do the decoupage now. Do you know where is the best place to buy the decoupage sheets from. I imagine art shops have the glue etc, or perhaps spotlight I suppose. That would be a nice project. The sourdough loaf also looks yummy. Using up leftover sourdough seems to be popular now doesn't it. I read on Rhonda's post your hubby isn't well, hope that all goes well. Such a worry as we get older. Your garden looks lovely too, I don't have any of those cactus orchids. Take care, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pauline, Spotlight should have all the supplies. Wrapping paper should work as well. I found the tissue paper a bit too thin for this job. The cactus orchids need no TLC at all with suits me fine 😆

    ReplyDelete
  5. The decoupage pots look great, Chel. Great to be able to use up craft supplies. I have a cupboard with lots of arts/crafts supplies that I use when I'm teaching. It really needs a clean out though. The problem is I always think I might need whatever it is that I'm about to clear out! MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg it is amazing how you need something after you have given it away. It happens to me all the time.😁

      Delete
  6. I have been thinking of taking up decoupage ... but finishing off furniture projects first. Not sure what I will do with the patchwork fabric stash I have, it is a long time since I pieced anything. I love the cactus orchids ... have never heard of them before. I agree with you on apricot vs pink but with hubby in cerise vs purple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, deciding what to do with the stash of fabric is always an issue.I lead near a patchwork shop and don't darken the door as I don't want to get tempted to start a new obsession 😁

      Delete
  7. Over the years I have been to many of the Stitches & Craft shows and had actually planned to go this year however naturally it's not happening. It's funny with crafts how you go onto new things and what interested you years ago may not interest you now. As for the storms OMG Springfield - the size of those hail stones were crazy...have a great week. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy, I went to those craft shows for many years and always came home with something new. Yes I was pleased that those bad storms passed us by although the garden enjoyed the rain from previous days.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...