Thursday 12 November 2020

Here comes the heat

 We have been fortunate to have had lovely coolish weather for a couple of weeks but this weekend the heat will be back again with 35C days and it is already frightfully hot in the Outback where my daughter lives. I don't know how they cope with that heat. Unfortunately I planted my hollyhocks too late and they won't like the coming heat one little bit. 

As I mentioned in a recent post I asked the Council gardeners when to plant hollyhock seeds in Toowoomba and they said that they plant theirs in March. I planted these in winter which obviously was much too late...




...as I think the edges of the flowers on this bush are getting burned. This red hollyhock was from seeds a friend gave me a few years ago...





...as well as this light pink one and the darker pink in the first photo. However I also planted a whole packet of Mr.Fothergill's Chaters Double Mixed Hollyhock and so far...




...only this one has appeared. I have also bought some black hollyhock seeds on eBay so will give them a try next March just for variety. I just love hollyhocks. I also am going to experiment with growing Foxgloves for the first time. I don't really have a green thumb but will give it a go anyway :-)





Despite the lack of a green thumb some of the roses are flowering beautifully without too much TLC from me. I think sometimes that I kill my plants with kindness and water them too much. Oops!




Now that it is getting hotter and I have just finished using Efudix on my arms to get rid of the skin cancers, I have started wearing these  sun protector sleeves I bought on eBay a few years ago. They are easy to slip on when going outside and can also be used to protect your skin when driving, playing golf etc. Not that I play golf mind you. Hopefully I can prevent too much more skin damage as I am a tad tired of using this cream and it costs $55 or so a tube so isn't cheap. 




Last week I made a few covers to put over bowls of food to keep the flies off during summer. They should come in handy. These are reversible. 



On the The Home Maker's Forum  we have been having a challenge of sorts to make something we haven't made before using sourdough starter discard. I don't usually have any discard but do have plenty of starter so made some of Little Spoon Farm's Sourdough Crackers. These taste very cheesy even though there is no cheese in them and they are so easy to make. They will last a week in an airtight container but I think most families have them eaten by then judging by comments people have made. 



Tin sheep for sale at a previous Bush Christmas. 


Toowoomba's Bush Christmas is still going ahead despite the pandemic and will be held from Wednesday 25th November to Friday 4th December. There are some narrow hallways in the venue so I imagine there are going to be a lot of people counting how many visitors are in the rooms at a time as it is normally very busy especially on the first days of the exhibition. It is a good time to buy some really nice Christmas presents made by our artisans who live in the more remote areas of Queensland. 



Life goes on as normal here in Queensland as far as we are concerned but from what I hear on the news the pandemic is spreading in many countries around the world. I hope and pray that you and your loved ones keep safe and well wherever you live. We are thinking of you. 







16 comments:

  1. such wonderful flower colours. It really makes me happy. It is Autumn in our part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monique, I enjoy our autumn better than summer as our weather heats up so much at this time of year. Yes the flowers look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes the cool respite is lovely. Your flowers are a joy and I am fascinated to see the black ones. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I hope the seeds come up as I am quite interested in seeing what black hollyhocks look like 😏

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bowl covers -- what a good idea. We are about to head up your way to visit grandchildren (and their parents) so I will pack for the heat! Hope you can stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy, the forecast keeps changing and now we have a few days of 33C instead of 35C and then we will be back to normal by Wednesday I hate the heat. Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pandemic is raging here, Chel. I'm glad to see it's under control in Australia.

    I love your bowl covers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nil, we will see what happens here as borders open and restrictions lift. We all know how contagious the virus is. Stay safe.

      Delete
  8. Yesterday was so hot I had the air conditioner on most of the day...the Covid numbers overseas are horrifying 178,000 or so yesterday in the USA. We freaked out at 780 in Melbourne. It's so wonderful that Melbourne has done so well with 16 days no cases and no deaths. What a hard year it's been for them. My nephew is in Grade 8 in Melbourne and apparently has only had 12 weeks at the actual school this year as the rest of the time was at home on-line. We are so lucky in Qld that we really only had 2 months of hard lockdown. My nieces Wedding in Perth in April got cancelled 3 weeks before the event and all my family were all heading over there. It's now on in 2 weeks time and WA just opened the borders to Qld however none of us can go now at such short notice and the air fares are so expensive because there are fewer flights etc. My sister will send us photos. Have a good week. Kathy A, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, that is a shame about the wedding. There has been a lot of heartbreak this year around weddings aand funerals. Yes we have been able to keep the COVID numbers down so far. I wonder what will happen once all the restrictions have been lifted.

      Delete
  9. I love your hollyhocks. I planted some two years ago and it looks like they are going to flower this year ... I am waiting, waiting, waiting for those flowers to open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I understand about the waiting. I still have some that haven’t opened yet and am hoping the heat doesn’t ruin them.

      Delete
  10. I think that you have a very green thumb, Chel. You’re flowers are always so beautiful. I’m not keen on the heat either, much prefer autumn, and it’s starting to heat up here in Queanbeyan. I look forward to seeing black hollyhocks, sounds very exotic!❤️🐝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie, it is too hot for me already and this is the first day of the heat. I am over it already. Yes, black hollyhocks sound very exotic. I have never seen them before so I hope some come up next year.

      Delete
  11. I'm over the heat and humidity already too, Chel. Yesterday was so muggy and I'm not looking firward to more of the same today. The storm bird is calling here this morning so I think perhaps we might get a storm this afternoon as it's usually right. Meg🙂

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meg, we decided a couple of years ago that our stormbird was delusional 😅🤣😂 We told him to save his breath as the storms never came but he is persistant.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...