Thursday 4 November 2021

Last month's hail storm damage

On the 18th October we had hail like we haven't had for many, many years. Fortunately it was only small hail and none of our windows were smashed which was just as well as it was hitting the windows on the western side really hard. The outside walls were covered in pecan nut tree leaves which my hubby hosed off after the storm and we didn't notice until the next day the damage that had been done in the garden. 


The worst hit plants were the bromeliads. Very few escaped unscathed. The brom in the photo above was a very expensive one that my hubby bought at the recent Carnival of Flowers...



...and it used to look like this. 









This was another of the expensive ones .....




...which looked like this when we bought it. 





The hail was still around the next morning as I am sure it was out at Highfields which was hit the hardest. I could see the green in the clouds above Highfields and knew there was hail coming. You can read about the storm in this article Snow-like hail and tornado lash Darling Downs. 






This was my indoor plant which I put outside to get 'a little bit of rain'. Big mistake! 




The Hippiastrums took a direct hit but should bounce back like a lot of the plants will I hope. They have survived both a severe frost and a hail storm in the past couple of months. 




I don't know why but the Hollyhocks escaped damage apart from a few leaves. They are looking absolutely beautiful at the moment although only the pink ones have flowered this year. I bought some black Hollyhock seeds on eBay but none of them have come up. Perhaps next year. 





I also bought some black Poppy seeds on eBay and this one was just starting to flower before the whole plant was wrecked by the hail and wind. They are actually a dark purple and quite pretty. So that was our excitement for the year and I hope we don't have any more severe weather events any time soon. 




Handmade under the Stars will be held on the 25th November at the Cobb and Co Museum and I believe it will be held outdoors this year so I hope the weather is fine. Bush Christmas will be held from the 24th November till 3rd December at a new venue, the Empire Church Theatre which is just a couple of doors up from the old venue. I know some people from out of town like to know when these events are on so come along and support the local artisans and those who live in remote areas. 

Have a great weekend everyone!







5 comments:

  1. Your poor plants. I hope they recover quickly. I love Broms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bernie, everyone tells me they will spring back. I certainly hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The storms are getting really big and lots of hail. Luckily we seem to miss it at our place fingers crossed for the rest of the hot summer. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chel the hail storms were such a shock weren't they? We don't normally get hail here, but just North of here really copped a beauty this year. The weather is just crazy. I'm sure your broms will bounce back, they are so hardy. You are probably receiving lots of rain right now as well, wish we were. All the best, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear ya on this one! My plants got hammered by the hail as well. Especially the Aloe vera. It's slowly bouncing back though, thanks to the resilience of nature. Sorry about your poor bromiliads though. They're such a gorgeous plant.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...