Wednesday 7 May 2014

So many seeds to sow.

True to his word, Leigh Nankervis from Fair Dinkum Seeds, sent me an assortment of seeds last week. You can read about his seed business in this post. The package arrived on Friday which was a miserable windy, cold and rainy day and the wind had blown the rain into the letter box so we rescued a rather damp envelope and hoped that the seeds were dry. Thankfully they were securely wrapped and I was quite excited to have a look at what Leigh had sent.


I will have to do some reading about when to plant some of the seeds but I knew the garlic needed to be planted straight away so the Garden CEO was given that packet to plant as it was too cold for me to venture outside in the wind. This garlic is described as Garlic- Small Cloved Hot Purple Skin Allium Sativum


It stores really well and has a 'softneck' which makes it easy to braid as you can see in the photo on this page.


 

I can't wait until it is warm enough to plant the Chuzzle Cucumber seeds.These are tiny cucumbers which are spiky looking but are actually soft and flexible. They need to be picked when they are green as, once they turn yellow, they are really bitter apparently.


I have Pomegranate Punica Granatum Seeds to plant and I certainly look forward to this fruit growing as it has a myriad of medicinal uses as well as providing a refreshing juice on hot summer days. The red seeds are a striking addition to fruit salads and other dishes. 
 
 

We have a few varieties of berries growing and it is a bit difficult to keep the birds from snacking on them so I will have to plant the Native Raspberry seeds somewhere where they can be protected. Raspberry is an excellent all-purpose herb and can be taken as a tea using 1-2 teaspoons of dried leaves to 1 cup of boiling water and sweetened with honey. It works internally to help cleanse the body and aids in cleansing liver congestion.


 So, as you can see, I have my work cut out for me doing research on when to plant these seeds and how to care for them. If you haven't had a look at the Fair Dinkum Seeds site or their Facebook page and are interested in buying some seeds that are a little unusual then check out the seeds for sale there. Several packets of seeds are on special at the moment. I am sure you will find something there that interests you.




 


2 comments:

  1. what an interesting selection, can't wait to see how they go
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, now I just have to learn when to sow them all. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...