Sunday 8 September 2019

Lavender Soap with Beeswax

I have been wanting to make a harder soap as I have noticed when I use certain oils in my soapmaking that the soap isn't quite as hard as I would like. A soapmaking friend said she adds beeswax to her batches of soap so I thought I would give that a try as I am always up for a bit of experimenting with making soap. 



I used the same recipe I tried out a while back which was Palm Free No Butter Soap ...another of Jan Berry's soaps from her book...






This time I used lavender infused olive oil and added Pansy Mica from Green Living Australia and a mixture of fragrance oils that I was trying to use up.



Using the room temperature method for the following recipe, I poured the weighed oils into a container and then added the lye and water mixture to them. I brought that to a light trace and then added the grated beeswax and mixed it in and it melted quickly. I had a feeling that I should move very fast then so I added the mica and fragrance oil, mixed it and poured half and half into jugs. As it was thickening up very quickly I poured it into individual moulds rather than into a loaf mould. 

Lavender soap with beeswax

454g Coconut Oil
794g Olive Oil
226g Sweet Almond Oil (Sunflower oil could also be used)
114g  Castor Oil
1t     Beeswax
225g Lye
604g Water
40g   Lavender and Mint Fragrance Oil, Peony Rose Fragrance Oil and Cold Water 
1t       Pansy Mica
  

Often when I use almond oil, castor oil or sunflower oil the mixture doesn't harden up for a few days so that I can easily take it out of the moulds but with this batch I was able to unmould it the next day like I used to when I made more simpler soaps.


As you know I like experimenting so it will be interesting to see if the addition of a small amount of beeswax will make for a harder soap once it has cured. If you try it, let me know what you think. 




My son-in-law sent me a photo of the card my grandchildren made for him for the recent Father's Day....with a bit of help from mum I would imagine. Isn't it so cute! I had a good laugh as that would be right up his alley as he has a very sweet tooth! 

As most Aussies would know our state is in the midst of a severe drought and on top of that there are currently multiple bushfires being fanned by the strong winds of the past few days. The heritage listed Binna Burra Lodge in the Gold Coast hinterland has been destroyed as well as a number of homes which is causing much heartbreak. I am sure any help you can give would be appreciated including your prayers. One of the towns that has been impacted is Stanthorpe which already had lots of problems as the township will run out of water by December if it doesn't rain soon. I am not sure where the water is coming from which is being used to fight fires as the local dam is almost empty.  

There is a lot of extreme weather around at the moment so stay safe everyone. 












14 comments:

  1. That card is fantastic, Chel. How clever!! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so cute, Meg. I had a chuckle when I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you with the bush fires nearby. My daughter and family live in Toowoomba, so we have seen the drought stricken countryside, which we also have here at home in Central NSW. I have just begun to make soap and am inspired by your blog posts to try some adventures away from the basics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, I went to Brisbane a few weeks ago and was amazed at how dry it was. It was the same between here and Warwick although it is often dry out that way. We badly need rain. The wind in town here has been dreadful for a few days so I hope it eases soon. Let me know if you are visiting your family here and we can meet up for a cuppa. You can do that when you are retired ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the card! :)

    I haven't used beeswax in my soaps, but I'd like to do so. I'm waiting until the weather cools down a bit to make another batch. I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works out for you, Nil. The soap seems to be curing well.

      Delete
  6. Smoky, dusty and dry here too Chel.....we're getting the smoke from the Hinterland fires as well as one burning just out of town to the south, one just to the north. Unpleasant as it is, not complaining, as it's far, far worse for people in the midst of it. I think different groups are fundraising and buying water to truck into places like Stanthorpe....I know the CWA is accepting donations. Dire times indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is hazy again here now so I must check to see if there are any fires around. Thankfully the wind has eased dramatically. Rain would be so good. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your soap looks very nice! I tried making soap years ago. It was fun, I ought to get out my equipment and give it another go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes do give it a go again, Dianna. I like to experiment as you can tell ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A delicious card for Father's day. I note the "Boost" and "Flake chocolates have already been sampled, before the photo was taken, lol. Lovely soaps too. I hope your experiment works. I add beeswax to my coconut oil, which replaces regular sorbolene cream. Especially in summer, as the oil is prone to liquifying. But the beeswax thickens it up. The trick is finding the right ratio of beeswax, so as not to make it a brick! ;)

    I'll be watching the bushfires over the next few days, as they're expecting the winds to pick up again and change direction. Praying for our State and Nation, this bushfire season.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha ha I didn't even notice that about the chocolates, Chris. It has been calm here so I am hoping the dreadful wind doesn't pick up again as the hot weather hits.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm really interested in making soap, so I'm going to subscribe and follow your soap adventures. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a go at making soap, Sharon. Start off with a basic soap as I did by using Rhonda's tutorials on Down to Earth. You will be glad you did.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...