Thursday 11 February 2016

From Telegrams to Instagram

I presume everyone reading this has heard of Instagram and perhaps some of you, like me, really have no idea about what it actually is apart from the fact that it has something to do with photos. Well, today I decided I should learn a bit more about Instagram, partly because the Down to Earth Forums are now on Instagram and also because I would like to try and keep up with some of the current technology as, not that far in the future, I might be able to communicate with my grandchildren that way as well. If you are interested you can find Down to Earth Simple Living Forums on Instagram now at @downtoearthsimpleliving on the Instagram app on your phone. If you have a PC or laptop check out  www.instagram.com/downtoearthsimpleliving. 

All this talk about Instagram got me thinking about how the world has changed since I was born when Telegrams were sent to communicate thanks, congratulations, sympathy and other important messages which were delivered to the door by the 'Telegram Boy'. :-)






If you have never seen a Telegram, here is one that was sent to my parents....


 ...to congratulate them on my arrival back in the late 1940s. How times have changed since then!




Now we have moved on to Instagram and I just need to do some lots of reading about how it actually works and hopefully I will be able to master it eventually.  I remember I did find Pinterest a bit of a mystery a while back but I have a pretty good idea of how it works now. So there is hope for me yet :-)




All I have put on Instagram so far are a couple of photos of my fourth sourdough loaf which I made today and which looks a little burnt on top.  I added some rye flour to this loaf and also put it into a sandwich loaf tin to make it easier to cut for toasted sandwiches and it turned out well....for a novice anyway. Another recent learning curve!

Do you use Instagram? If you do, feel free to give me some tips as I need all the help I can get at this stage. LOL!





16 comments:

  1. My girls all have instagram accounts and they have even set one up for Toshi the cat and they post a new picture of her every day doing something 'catty' or other - Toshi now has over 200 followers (for goodness' sake). Yes, I guess I will have to bite the bullet and see what instagram is all about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even Toshi has an account??? That's amazing, Phil. Well if a cat can work it out so can I. LOL!

      Delete
  2. If you figure it out, do let me know... a friend persuaded me to sign up and I have been posting photos but I'm not really clear how it works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also thx for sharing the telegram, i had never seen one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, it is a bit of a learning curve with all the hashtag stuff I must admit. I found the Telegram in mum's 'stuff' when we were cleaning out her house for sale...along with all my school report cards and every certificate I received. :-)

      Delete
  4. If I can use it anyone can ( I'm in my 60's)...it took a while but now I'm addicted and I have almost 300 followers from every part of the world....it is phone based only and once you master hashtags it's a doddle. The internet has heaps of info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. I have only used it on my iPad so far as I hope to get a new smartphone soon as my old one is dying and is only a mini so the screen is very small.,

      Delete
  5. Chel,

    I joined Instagram several weeks ago. It's a good way to share photos. I'm looking forward to following along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue, you are fortunate to have your girls help with the technology too I imagine although you might teach them :-) There always seems to be something new to learn regardless of our age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Luck! Fancy having something about your own birth. Pretty Cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda, yes it was nice to find the telegram.

      Delete
  8. You've inspired me to get instagraming Nana Chel. I remember receiving lots of telegrams on the occasion of my first wedding in the mid 70's as was customary then. Gosh, the world has changed since then. My daughter is right into instagram and I can see her pics each day, but can't respond. I'm going to surprise her one day soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, give it a try. I am still working it out but there are instructions online. Your daughter will certainly be surprised when she gets a photo from you. :-)

      Delete
  9. Well you've got to let us all know who you are on Instagram so we can follow you, like your pics and comment :) you can also direct message via Instagram.....like a private message but when you take a pic and then put in the caption info, up the top you can pick direct to someone that you follow.......like me.....when you find me.......skippyherron <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well at the moment I am trying to learn how it all works so just have a couple of followers who are mods on the DTE forum until I get more experienced. I have it marked as private at the moment. As the forum is now on Instagram I really want to know what I am doing before I put anything on there as a mod. So it's all a learning curve at the moment, Kel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great time waster! Just looking at beautiful pics from around Australia and the world! Have fun with it! xx

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...