Wednesday 18 October 2017

Macadamia Soap

I wasn't terribly happy with my last batch of soap in which I used madder root for the first time so I thought I would try another new to me recipe using macadamia oil which I hadn't used before. I knew there was rain on the way but didn't realise we would have 99% humidity for days on end which isn't good for soapmaking so thankfully I had decided to only make a small batch.


Well the rain started and didn't stop for a few days although it wasn't heavy rain like areas to the north of us received and I heard on the news tonight that some had been flooded after downpours which added up to 500mm. Incredible totals considering that three weeks ago everything was as dry as a bone and we were in the grip of a heatwave at the beginning of spring. Strange weather we are all having!




I knew that the soap was going to be soft with such high humidity around so I left it for two days but in the end couldn't stand it any longer so took one out of the mould for a look-see and that is the one in the middle in the above photo. Hmmm, obviously I was too impatient.




So the following day I took another one out and it was still too soft as you can see by the middle one in the above photo. Each day I would take another one or two out of the mould but I knew they weren't going to dry out so in desperation I put the soap into a styrofoam box with a lid that I use in winter to help my sourdough to rise and added a container of DampRid to get absorb some of the moisture :-) The rain has cleared up pretty well here now but is to return on Saturday so hopefully by then the soap will have started hardening up. I have decided I don't like a couple of the flowers in the 6 cavity mould I bought recently as they don't come out of the mould very well. They are the bottom two in the photo.



I do love these sunflower moulds though. You wouldn't believe it but I used pink clay to colour the soap above and used a heaped teaspoon in half the batter as the last time I added it the soap didn't turn out pink at all. Obviously this time I used too much though and ended up with brown soap. Sigh! I used pansy mica in the other half of the batch but didn't mix it up enough by the looks of it and now have a lavender and white soap. Trial and error once again.  


Whenever we have days and days of rain and high humidity I have noticed that my soap just drips with moisture and finally it twigged that the laundry was much too moist an area for it during a rain event as I put some of my soap in another room for a few hours and it started drying out. The laundry wasn't built very well and let's say it is very 'airy' for want of a better word.



I had cabin fever this morning so took myself off to a shopping centre and had a look for around for something I could store my soap on which was transportable when it is raining and found a 3-Tier Trolley in KMart which should be just the solution. I will just wheel it into the lounge room or bedroom so it can stay dry unless I get some complaints from the residents. LOL!



I also made some Goat's Milk Shampoo Bars based on this recipe in Jan Berry's new book Simple Natural Soapmaking .....




....but this is really, really soft so most of it won't be coming out of the moulds until Friday or so when it has dried out a bit more. I have a sneaking suspicion as to why this soap is so soft and think that when I was rendering the lard, which is in this batch, some water from the condensation on the lid of the crockpot got into the lard. Last time I rendered lard I had the crockpot on low but thought I would speed up the process this time and turned it onto the high setting.  When it was rendered I noticed that it wasn't as white as my first batch and it also had an odour and I was wondering what I had done wrong. So I did a few searches online and found  'How to Render Lard the Right Way..Snow White and Odorless' and realised that the 'low' setting was preferable. Another lesson learned. 

I had better write down the recipe for the macadamia soap for future reference otherwise I will forget how I made it. I used to have Print Friendly on my blog which was handy for printing parts of a blog post off but it has disappeared. If anyone wants it put back on just let me know. I have no idea why it disappeared.

Macadamia Soap

225g Coconut Oil
300g Olive Oil
175g Sustainable Palm Oil
45g   Macadamia Oil
106g Caustic Soda
240g Water
23g   Peppermint Essential Oil + a blend of essential oils
1t      Pink Clay mixed in water added to half the batch
1t      Pansy Mica mixed in 2T oils added to other half of batch

I hope everyone in the flooded areas of Queensland are okay. I saw some houses on the news tonight that were under water which is terribly sad and some farmers who were almost due to harvest have lost their crops. If you live in our area, enjoy the sunshine before the rain returns. On Saturday we have our Sourdough Workshop which will be presented by Chris from Gully Grove. It should be a great workshop as Chris really knows her stuff and makes yummy loaves of sourdough. 






14 comments:

  1. Lovely moulds Chel, and sweet colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love the sunflower ones, Barb. The soap comes out of them so very easily.

      Delete
  2. Hope the damp rid has been working for you as the rain is supposed to come back, it certainly has been hanging around here.The garden is loving it but so are the weeds in the lawn.
    See you on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I think the rain will be short lived this time thankfully. It was nice to get but I was a bit over the dreadful wind.

      Delete
  3. Those sunflower moulds are beautiful! If your shampoo bars work well, can you please post the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane you can find the recipe here https://104homestead.com/goat-milk-shampoo-bars/. Hopefully it will be okay in my thick hair.

      Delete
  4. I love the sunflower moulds Chel,however if you are having trouble with humidity I wouldn't even try making soap here in Mackay until cooler weather. I wish I was going to your Sourdough workshop. There is always something new to learn, I would like tips on how to make various shaped loaves that retain their shape, without cooking them in a tin. Good luck with your soap. Your home should smell nice with all of that soap in it:) Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, our laundry is probably the worst room in the house to store soap but there isn't room anywhere else as this is a small house. Check out some YouTube tutorials on making sourdough as there are lots of tips there. Some people use a banneton to get the shape they want when making sourdough.

      Delete
  5. Well you have been busy! I have had the same problem here, but I'm so thankful for the rain. I love the purple colour :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have moved my soap out of the laundry till it dries out, Liz. It must be very damp in there especially after so many rainy days. It is drying out already thankfully. I used pansy mica for the purple colour.

      Delete
  6. Chel, these are so pretty. I haven't made soap in ages. This year has been so odd in a lot of ways, and I haven't really achieved much in the way of crafting. You've inspired me though. 14 more school days and my darling girl is finished, so perhaps then I can get back to my routine. Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi if my children were still at school I am not sure I would be making soap as one is so busy going here and there to school events, etc. I felt like a taxi driver when mine were in high school but it is all worth it :-)

      Delete
  7. You have so many pretty molds, Nana Chel! I don't know which ones I like best. I do like that lavender color. Isn't it hard not to peek at your "babies" once you've poured and waited? What a fun feeling of "I made that!".....it's great when they turn out all right. I've had some disappointments, too--not so great ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sunflowers are one of my favourite Summer flowers, Chel. (Must plant some!) So, I love your sunflower moulds. I would love to learn how to make shampoo bars. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...