Sunday 25 November 2018

Nearly finished....I hope!

These past few weeks have been a bit of a blur as we have been invaded by various tradies and our quiet routine has been disrupted while kitchen and bathroom renovations have been happening as well as the long awaited and much overdue painting of the outside of the house. Today has been the first day I have had a chance to take a long look at how my plants are surviving as they have been covered in dust on several occasions as the house was sanded and then new stairs were installed. I thought I had moved most of the pots out of the line of fire but it is amazing how far dust spreads.





I was so pleased my beautiful Esmeralda rose has coped with the dust from the sanding plus the dust storm which blew through during the week not to mention the dreadful wind these past few days. 



I have no coverings on the windows at present so it is difficult to take photos with the afternoon sun streaming in so I do hope we get the blinds up soon. I believe the person who is putting them up arrived the other day when the house was full of tradies, took one look and said he would be back. I have no idea when that will be.  I still haven't used the induction stove and am already regretting buying it as it gets covered in dust. Also I was reading the instructions booklet and it said something about being careful if you have a pacemaker. What!!!! I think I should have done a bit of research about them instead of taking notice of the CEO's friend who said they use up much less power than other stoves. Anyway, it is there now and I will have to learn how to use it eventually. It has two ovens and the bottom oven has a side opening door. Also it is made in Britain so I am hoping it is a good quality stove.





Everything is in the kitchen now apart from the fridge which will go in this corner and the blinds for the western facing windows which will be needed this week with the temperatures rising once again. The walls have been painted a very light green and depending on the time of day they can look white or green. It is amazing how the colours change. I will be pleased when I can put everything back into the kitchen. I did start filling up a cupboards only to come home one day to find that the painter had been sanding and everything was full of dust after I had cleaned all the cabinets thoroughly. Then the windows had to be kept open for the paint to dry on another day when the dust storm hit. I gave up then and went and stared at a wall.



This was taken at night to show the LED lights under the shelf. They were put in as I was concerned the kitchen would be too dark with the internal window being taken out. This is where our wood stove sat in between the kitchen and the bathroom. Such a strange arrangement.




The bathroom renos have had a couple of hiccups. The builder asked us where we would like the shower niche. We had never heard of anything so exotic. LOL! As it turned out the builder had put a couple in a friend's bathroom down the road so I went down and had a look. Then it was decided to put one in up high for shampoo etc. and, seeing as the CEO had put his foot on the tap in the old bath and broken it off when he was cleaning his feet, he was given the option of having a smaller niche further down. As it turned out, after the niche had been put in and tiled over he decided that it was too low and wanted it put higher so the tradies had to come back to fix it up. Sigh! The waterproofing is on and the tiler will redo the tiles this coming week I presume.




This is part of the waterproofing done last week on the bathroom floor and in the shower which is at the top left where it is black. The poor tradie who did that had double booked so had to come back at 5pm to get it done as they are so busy with trying to get all their work finished before the Christmas break.




This is the feature tile in the shower. I thought it was just going to be a thin strip but will go with the flow. I went out the day all this work was going on so got a few surprises when I got home....




...like finding out from a very heated CEO that the medicine cabinet had been put up too high and he could only see the top half of his head in the mirrors.

 


As the tradies had been working in there all day it was difficult to check everything out until the work had been done. Anyway, he spoke to our wonderful builder the next day and he got on the phone and organised for the cabinet workers to come back and fix up the cabinet and for the tiler to take out some of the tiles. One of them said that this happens all the time and not to feel too bad as I was so embarrassed. The good news about the bathroom is that I now have a linen cabinet to put the towels in.



Something I have learned during these renovations is that it is like opening up a can of worms. In the kitchen when the internal window was taken out the wall was filled and that is the area where the fridge is going to be put. On the other side of that wall which is on the enclosed back verandah the boards are going to have to be painted which wasn't a part of our original quote from the painter and I am not sure if he will have time to paint them as the whole back verandah is now going to have to be painted and new flooring put down as the carpet is wrecked. It was really badly in need of replacing beforehand but it is kaput now well and truly. I was so hoping the renos would be finished soon but it looks like they will be ongoing for a while. 

All the tradies work very hard and I have been very impressed with their work ethic. I do wonder though why they all have radios on all day when they can't even hear the music with their powertools going much of the time. One day we had a radio on out the front and another one out the back. LOL! 

Have a great week everyone and think twice before doing renovations :-)







28 comments:

  1. looking good so far
    beautiful roses they are too;
    gosh i would love a wood stove, what did you do with yours?
    hope it all keeps going smoothly for you
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selina, I think the Esmeralda rose and my red one are the best of the six that I have. So very beautiful. Our wood stove died years ago unfortunately so it is good to have it removed at long last. It used to heat up both the kitchen and bathroom.

      Delete
  2. It's all looking good, Chel. In the midst of it, it's hard to imagine that calm will eventually reign again after the chaos of the reno is done. Love the feature tile in the shower! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, it looks like the builder will be finished this week so there is light at the end of the tunnel at long last.

      Delete
  3. Don't be afraid of induction. Love mine! It's just cooking with buttons instead of a knob. Once the dust makers have gone it will be so easy to keep clean. Go to someones house that has induction and get them to do a demo or let you use it, even just to fry an egg. The inconvenience while the building is going on will all be worth it. A bit like child birth, LOL, painful while it's happening but a beautiful thing when it's done. We did reno's 2 years ago but everyday I am thankful we did. Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that info, Sandra. I have a tendency to just look at new appliances for a while before using them. LOL! I will have a go at using it as soon as the workmen have left as the top of it is getting so dusty.

      Delete
  4. Awesome progress! I hear you about the tradies and their music though. Our new neighbour is an electrician. They installed a large work shed, near our property boundary, and whenever they are in the shed, they have their music blaring. When the tradies came to install solar panels on their roof - music blaring too. It's not even good music, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, one thing I won't miss is the music :-) It just seems to be part of the tradie culture for some reason.

      Delete
  5. You are nearly there! It is going to be good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are finishing and you are just starting. Make sure you have some Rescue Remedy on hand and perhaps some earplugs as well. Ha ha!

      Delete
  6. Chel that feature tile in the bathroom is gorgeous.Your old house is getting such a wonderful facelift. It will be fun for you to get to know her again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, all the doors are being replaced now as well which means that we are going to have to paint inside at some stage as they will have to be painted. Talk about opening up a can of worms.

      Delete
  7. Oh Chel, I love your new kitchen. And the niche in the shower to place feet is a good idea too.

    When you clean please wear a good dust mask. I hope the renovations will be fine well before Christmas, so you can have your home back all clean and nice for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nil, we won't be having any visitors for Christmas as my daughter and her family won't be travelling down south. It will be very quiet and I am not even sure I will put up the Christmas tree this year.

      Delete
  8. I like your choices - the green in the kitchen and that lovely pattern in the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is all starting to come together and we will be able to use the shower on Wednesday apparently. Yippee!

      Delete
  9. those green tiles in your kitchen are exactly what we had in mind for our new kitchen .... I really love them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil, I will let you know which ones they are in a post soon in case others would like to order them as well.

      Delete
  10. What an honest account you are giving of your renos Chel. Your house is receiving a complete makeover which is exciting, once the upheaval subsides. You will have so much fun with it all once they leave. A new home for Christmas, lovely. Take care and just relax if you can. Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, I have been wondering if you are near the fires up there. I hope all is well in your area during this dangerous time. The temps up there are unbelievable.

      Delete
  11. Ooo you are brave. I have all but once moved to another house or flat when Reno’s are being done as the amount of chaos and dust created is horrible.

    In my Kandos home I removed the gas stove to make room for the fridge in the kitchen because it drove me nuts being in the next room. To compensate for the loss of a quick cooking stove (we have opted to keep our wood stove) I bought a portable induction cooktop. Induction is a small learning curve, unbelievably fast at coming up to boil.

    One day, probably a few years away I will renovate the kitchen. I have my eye on the new Esse duplex wood/electric combo stove but have to think it through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved our wood stove but it got holes in it and was unsafe to use plus my hubby had a tendency to drop burning wood on the floor when adding more fuel and that went on the old lino. It wasn't set up very well and I believe this house was moved to town from a farm and some of the add-ons were a bit dodgy. I still haven't used my induction stove but I really have to get my act together and just experiment. Talk about procrastination :-)

      Delete
  12. Looking great Chel. You won't know yourself when all this is completed. Your choices are lovely. Keep cool in this weather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Vicki. The kitchen is so bright and new looking it makes the rest of the house look dingy. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Finally I have managed to pop in and take a look at your reno's! It is looking great Chel, I especially like the choice of tiles in the kitchen. I am sure you will quickly become used to the induction stove, I have always been happy with mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound busy, Sherri. Hope everything is going well for you.

      Delete
  15. Dear Nanna Chel,
    It is all looking great! Your splash back is the same colour as Wendy! She also loves apple green she is mad over it! It is so bright and pretty. Renovations are such a pain at the time but you get to enjoy the result for so many years. You will be so glad of it! With much love Annabel.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annabel, I got the idea from Wendy's blog. She gave me the name of hers but they weren't available so this was the closest colour I could get. Everyone loves the splashback and the floor :-)

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...