Friday 20 December 2019

A little diversion from the heat and fires

I have been so saddened by the deaths of two of our young firefighters in NSW as the terrifying coverage of the blazes is on our TV screens constantly and I really feel for their families. I needed a diversion so went and sat outside under the macadamia nut tree to just enjoy listening to the birds and watch them flying around. Then I heard something in the tree above me and looked up to see cockatoos picking off the nuts before they are ready to be picked and dropping them on the table beside me. Of course they looked quite innocent as usual ;-)


 They are fairly tame unfortunately and aren't scared off easily which is a bit of a shame for our macadamia nut tree as we rarely are left with any for ourselves these days. We used to be able to pick kilos of them years ago but then someone in the neighbourhood started feeding them and since then they have invaded our trees. Mind you I don't begrudge any bird or animal any food at the moment as it is in short supply during the drought.



They have such strong beaks and make short work of the nuts and branches and sometimes start chewing on wooden houses which most Aussies would know but my overseas readers may not be aware of how destructive they can be.


In the morning we can have a dozen or so sitting on the front fence as we have a pecan nut tree out the front and they must eat them for breakfast.


It is a bit dangerous to sit outside under the tree while they are in action. 


Well, it looks like we will have to buy our macadamia nuts if we want to eat any. We bought a very expensive nut cracker made specifically for macadamia nuts years ago when we used to get a good yield but it hasn't been used for quite a while now. This is the one we bought TJ's Nutcracker.  I saw there were some similar ones on eBay if anyone is interested in buying one. Ours works really well.

Well, I had better go and prepare a salad for dinner. There won't be any hot meals served around here for a few days with the heatwave arriving from down south. Thankfully we won't be getting 45C+ days like in some areas where the roads were melting. Still 38C is hot enough for me and I might just take myself off to see another movie to survive the heat. I have seen two movies in the last month which is really something for me as I rarely darken the door of a cinema.  

Have a wonderful weekend everyone and don't get too caught up in the hustle and bustle of the season. Enjoy your family if they are visiting. Having a loving family or caring friends is the best gift don't you think?


12 comments:

  1. It’s very sad to hear about the death of the fire fighters.

    I didn’t know cockatoos chew on wooden houses. That’s pretty destructive. Is there anyway to chase them away from your fruit trees?
    For a while, my parents neighborhood had a problem with monkeys. They would come in groups, eat any fruits and tender leaves, jump on roofs and break roof tiles. But they were afraid of loud noises, so some people started using fire crackers to chase them away. It was a riot.
    Sometimes it’s not the animals fault as they are losing their habitats due to deforestation.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family, Chel. 🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nil, if I went outside and clapped my hands at the birds they would fly away but come back when I went inside. Professional macadamia nut growers have a system in place to scare them off otherwise they would never get a harvest.

      Delete
  2. yes i rarely go to a movie either except at christmas! to escape the heat really. how lovely to have a pecan and a macadamia tree in your yard even if the birds get at them. yes so awful about the firefighters. how ghastly for the wives to lose their hubbies at christmas.. and those poor kids without their dads. it's heartbreaking. have a good christmas. cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes seeing a movie is a great way to keep cool if one can find a movie worth watching. One week all the movies on during the day were for children which I found surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much devastation and loss, Chel, it is heartbreaking to see our country, people and animals suffering so vey much.

    I haven't been to the movies for a couple of years. I used to take my son during school holidays if there was a suitable children's film but he's now in that in-between stage where not much really appeals to him. I borrow dvds of tv series I enjoy from library as they are free.

    I think family is everything; the people you love and cherish in life.

    Stay cool!
    MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, it has been so bad down south. It mist be terrifying to see a wall of flames coming towards you. I take my hat off to the brave firefighters who risk their own lives to save others.

      Delete
  5. Whilst it has been hot for us here it is nothing compared to what you have had Chel and that is nothing compared to the 47 they had in the Adelaide Hills yesterday. Our country is a furnace. Depending on wind direction we get the smoke from the Fraser Island fire. Today is smokey so I will be spending most of my day inside.
    Bluey installed a small industrial wall fan on the veranda. It makes such a difference to the comfort factor out there. The sparkies have been and fixed all the ceiling fans in the house. It is so much nicer.
    I hope you manage to stay cool and the cheeky cockies leave some nuts to ripen for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane, I read Annabel's blog post about the birds dying on her property. Just such a disaster down south. I think 47C would kill me as I struggle in 40C heat. So glad you can keep cooler up there and hope it isn't too muggy on the coast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a good Christmas Nanna Chel, and stay cool! We had a hot spell here in Perth that was over 42 on three days in a row. We are thinking of getting our insulation replaced with more modern, higher rating stuff, but we survived. Going to the movies is a good strategy on a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 42C...that's dreadful! It has been hot here since the beginning of spring. I think it is high time it cooled down now :-) Have a wonderful Christmas with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Today we hit 48 degrees C (in Central West NSW), but are thankful for our evaporative cooler (although it is struggling today). We keep both of our bird baths topped up with water and they are constantly patronised by birds, wasps and bees (and kangaroos in the evening) -- we are on a farm and it is heartbreaking to be surrounded by bare paddocks. However I'm sure burnt ones would be worse and, although we are getting abundant smoke from fires hundreds of kms away, we are thankful that we are not near the fires. Have a blessed Christmas and we can all pray that the drought breaks in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wendy, my daughter lives in NW Qld and they have the evaporative cooling system going 24/7 in the summer and switch to the aircon when it gets humid which doesn't happen very often. Yes prayers will continue for good solid rain. Have a wonderful Christmad.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...