Sunday 22 March 2020

Cancellation of Simple Living Toowoomba Workshops

Unfortunately we have had to cancel our monthly Simple Living Toowoomba workshops due to the current health concerns and recommendations from Queensland Health  about keeping safe at this time. I am sure this will be disappointing for everyone but this crisis will pass and we will get back to normal as soon as possible.


Finding plenty to do at home won't be anything new for many of those reading this blog as a lot of you would already be subscribers to Rhonda's Down to Earth blog where she has a variety of tutorials on how to make things for yourself like soap, bread, meals from scratch etc. Just look on the sidebar of her blog under labels and that will take you to the subject you are interested in. 



Then there are so many great blogs and YouTube videos that teach you how to knit ...




...and crochet if you are a beginner.




  Loom knitting is very easy and it takes no time to make a beanie which would be much appreciated by the homeless with winter coming up if you like this craft and start producing lots of beanies. 




Making your own soap is easy once you get over the fear of using caustic soda but it isn't a problem if you just treat it like you would boiling water and are careful. Rhonda has soap making tutorials on her blog which I used when I started making my own but now I use the room temperature method which I find is quicker but it all depends on what you are happy with. If you don't want to take the risk with caustic soda then you can always making soap by using the melt and pour method and the soap can be used straight away. 




Perhaps you have always wanted to make sourdough bread. Chris from Gully Grove has a great tutorial on her blog which she wrote after a workshop she presented for us. Chris makes her sourdough a little differently from some other bloggers like Celia from Fig Jam and Lime Cordial and Yoke Mardewi from Wild Sourdough but it can get confusing learning about different methods in the beginning so I would recommend just using Chris' tutorial to start off and once you are confident then try other methods. 



I am still going to be out and about taking my sister to doctors' appointments and buying food at this stage as she has a fracture and can't drive at the moment so hopefully I won't come in contact with anyone carrying the virus but we will see what happens. I can't go to hospital anyway as all my summer PJs are worn out from wear and it has turned hot again this week :-) I am sure that would be the least of my worries if I did get infected. 

I hope everyone stays well and that you have been able to buy toilet paper. LOL! We should be right for a few weeks now and have a few spare rolls for those who can't get to the shops. Hubby got up early one morning and fought the rest of the oldies for a pack. Only joking!!! Please look after those in your neighbourhood who are vulnerable and I am sure we will come out the other side of this with many encouraging stories of people who have been kind and generous despite the bad behaviour of some people who are probably scared stiff. 

Have a great week everyone!


7 comments:

  1. I have heaps of projects to do and am perfectly content in my own space so can sit this one out provided we stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, staying well is so important. I hope it cools down again and I can get outside and try and find my watersaver garden underneath all the weeds. I gave up on my veggies over summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seem to have lost a comment by Faith so will add it here:


    That knitted bunny on your side bar is adorable, I wonder if there is a crochet one. Stay well

    Faith I am sure there would be a crochet bunny on Pinterest. The knitted one is super easy though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your wise words and links to resources.I can see now that some of the things I did towards less waste last year and some of the new skills I learnt have set me up to weather this storm. The sad side is that we are unable to visit our grandchildren, but do have face-time like contact, but I am sure there are many others in the same situation, so I feel for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone please be very careful, it is now spreading as fast as Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you continue to stay well, and your sister's health improves. You've always looked so healthy, when I've met you in person. I had to laugh at the reference with the CEO taking charge at the supermarket. Then laughed more when you said you were joking. I've had some wonderful contact with people in the community. Business owners, strangers and parents from school. They've all been positive experiences.

    Thanks for mentioning the sourdough. You're right about the many ways to make it. I wonder if people are having problems finding flour for it though? Are people panic buying, baker's flour? I use gluten free flour (not for sourdough) and we saw it fully stocked at the store. My husband joked and said, "this is why celiacs, will inherit the earth", lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...