Friday 13 March 2020

DIY Cleaning and Personal Products Workshop ~ Simple Living Toowoomba

Last Saturday Margy from Simple Slow Still hosted a really interesting forum on decluttering. We shared ideas that we had and asked questions as Margy gave us different tips on how to declutter various areas of our lives.


 We discussed how we ended up collecting so much 'stuff'.....




.... the benefits of decluttering and tips on how to move 'stuff'  out of our life that is cluttering it up. 

One of the really difficult areas experienced by a number of people is what to do with items that have been passed down to us by parents, grandparents etc. 



When my Mother died I was given several sets of china that she had had for years, another set from my Aunty ....



...plus a Bunnykins bowl which is as heavy as lead that would have been a gift to my sister when she was born nearly 83 years ago! 



This was made by Royal Doulton so I have been a bit reluctant to pass it on to the Op Shop but I doubt that my daughter would want to keep it and I am sure nobody else would want it so I guess I will have to bite the bullet one day and make a decision. Some people at the workshop wondered what to do if relatives would be hurt if items passed down in the family were given away. It is difficult to know what to do sometimes when an object isn't used but has sentimental value. 

Anyway, I am sure that most people there left with a determination to at least start to declutter by concentrating on one small area in the home. It will be interesting to hear how everyone is going with the challenge. 


In April Racheal from Birdsong Market Garden will present a workshop on how to make our own cleaning and personal products. I am really looking forward to hearing her talk about how to encapsulate our own supplements. Here is the workshop information:


DIY Cleaning/Personal Products
Date:     4 April
Time:    10-12 noon
What:    A big part of homesteading, reducing your toxic load and reducing your household waste is learning to make your own cleaning and personal products. In April we'll be demonstrating how to make some of the more common products you use around the home:
Laundry Powder, Kitchen Spray, Window Cleaner, Scouring Powder, Boot Polish, Toilet Cleaner, air freshener, Sunblock, Oil Cleanser, Lip Balm, Moisturiser, Insect Repellent, Oil Perfume, DIY Tinctures and how to encapsulate your own supplements.
Where:   Range Christian Fellowship, 15 Blake Street, Wilsonton,Toowoomba
Cost:       $5
RSVP:     1 April to simplelivingtoowoomba@gmail.com
Please bring along any homemade or homegrown products to swap if you have any. 

If you happen to be in Toowoomba on the day and come from another area you are most welcome to join us. 

I hope everyone has been able to buy some toilet paper and is keeping well despite all the hype around at the moment about the Coronavirus. I am sure that the majority of people are being sensible and are taking precautions as best they can. Have an enjoyable weekend everyone.



5 comments:

  1. Please don't give away the Bunnykins bowl. Bunnykins is a collectable item get it appraised first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that advice, Susan. I will keep it safe and sound for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love having things from past generations and these furnishings suit the "eclectic" style of my home . However, there is a limit and things that sit in a cupboard like dinner sets are the perfect candidate to move on - which I am doing. I am of the opinion that once it is yours it is yours to dispose of as you wish regardless of wider family sentiment. Unless you know a particular family member has an interest in it just keep quiet, they will think it's still gathering dust in your cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have my 48yr old daughter's Big Ted, that we bought her for her 1st Christmas! He's in really good condition surprisingly, and I *know* I should move him on, but.......? I agre with Susan, get your Bunnikins valued. I have trouble moving my Country Style magazines on, so I do a few at a time, either to the op shops, or lhe local nursing homes. I
    There's a good podcast by Clare Hooper of the Pineaple Project, on decluttering. I put it on and listen as I sort, it does help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a topic that affects us all Chel, but it all takes time, however perhaps doing a room or even a cupboard at a time is a good idea. I've got one of those plates too.Very difficult to get rid of the children's things that we didn't actually even use, like the Bunnikins plate. Good to see your group still going. Cheers,Pauline

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...