Tuesday 21 July 2020

Around here

As the days just seem to run into each other lately I have been trying to achieve something each day so that I don't feel like I am completely wasting my time. Our teaching English volunteer jobs are still on hold and I don't have that weekly lesson slotted into my timetable. So I have started writing a list of what I want to do each day to keep me on track.



I make multiple trips outside to get some exercise, pull out weeds and keep an eye out for any new birds in our trees. I spied this cute little Kookaburra the other day that the Crows were trying to chase out of the tree....without any success thankfully. 





Then on another rather dismal day I saw what I presume is a Rosella on the chimney next door.....




Of course the Cockatoos are regulars around here. I know overseas readers like to see our Aussie wildlife. 




Plantain is growing like crazy along our driveway and out the front so I pulled off some leaves to dry under a pane of glass as in winter the leaves dry in a couple of days but only in a couple of hours in the middle of summer....especially if the temperature is 35C or so.




Then the leaves are crumbled and infused in olive oil in readiness to be used in soap or perhaps lotion bars. Check out Jan Berry's 10 Things to Make with Plantain if you have some growing and want to make good use of it. You can find more ideas on Annie's Place Herb Series:Plantain.



Thinking  that our Simple Living Toowoomba workshops would be able to resume soon I made a couple of pincushions to add to the swap table and then realised how hard it is for me to make small stitches these days as I tried to do Ladder Stitch to close up the hole. I won't be making any more of these.  As it turned out we can't resume our workshops as we can't fit enough people into the venue with the social distancing space that has to be taken into consideration so we have cancelled them until next year.




Although too pretty to get dirty I made a few cleaning cloths with leftover flannelette from the Rag Quilts I made for my grandchildren a few years ago.




Not many flowers are growing in the garden but I did notice that my first pansy had opened up this morning.....



....and just to add a bit of cheer to this cold house I bought some more gerberas at the farmers' market last Saturday, this time in red and white to match the kitchen. 

I think we all need a bit of extra cheer these days. Here in Australia the numbers of people becoming infected with COVID-19 are increasing in our southern states and the state of Victoria's capital city of Melbourne has gone into lockdown once again and there are also clusters in New South Wales as well now. Our border with New South Wales is now open so I think a lot of Queenslanders are thinking it is only a matter of time before things change here as some people try to sneak into the state. Time will tell and in the meantime I am sure most people will be careful and be thoughtful of others. Last night's 4 Corners program Inside Italy's COVID War was an eye opener as we were shown how swamped with patients the Italian hospitals had been earlier in the year. The doctors were so thrilled when an 18 year old young man recovered after being so very ill. 



Have a wonderful week and enjoy the little things in life.


11 comments:

  1. You take such good photos Chel. I wish mine were half as good.
    At work today my boss commented three times on how much traffic there was going past on the Bruce Highway and how many grey nomads were in town and how good it was for businesses both locally and across Queensland. Each time I just replied with a non-committal "mmmmmm". I am glad the tourists are enjoying themselves but I wish our national economy was built on something a bit more substantial than tourism and coffee shops. It feels like a shaky economic foundation, without any real substance to me.
    I had to do some banking for work today and whilst at the bank I was talking over the counter to the lady serving me and she said her sister was in quarantine in a motel after visiting her son interstate. I can't remember whether her sister lives in NSW or Queensland so I don't know in what state she is in quarantine but it seems to be going very hard with her. She doesn't like the food which costs her so much a day even if she doesn't want it. She has been ordering in her own, or so her sister told me today. I think if it was me I would want a lot of books and some crochet to keep me occupied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri, I would hate to be in quarantine in a hotel room with no fresh air. That would drive me bananas for two weeks. I think a lot of Queenslanders are nervous seeing the cases growing down south. I am looking into finding a good mask pattern in case we eventually need to start wearing them.

      Delete
  2. Lovely birds in your pictures! Yes we are all doing our best to stay focused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my camera can zoom in so that the birds are close-up. They are usually high up in next door's pine tree or our pecan nut tree.

      Delete
  3. I loved reading your post and seeing the birds in your garden. Your sewing and flowers are very pretty.
    Lynn, England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn. The birds are lovely to watch even though the cockatoos make a dreadful noise. LOL!

      Delete
  4. Your bird shots are great and the pin cushions very lovely. There are not so many vans on the road this week now school is back or the mad rush to Queensland is over. I do hope things settle down in Victoria soon, fortunately thus far the NSW outbreaks are not spreading too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Penang Chicken Hart & Soul sachet is from Woollies. I think it's in the normal section where you get Masterfoods sachets or check the Asian section. You will see them as there is about 8 varieties. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for that, Kathy. I will keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful birds.

    I had to look up plantain leaves because the only plantains I knew were the ones similar to banana. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. The gerberas you bought at the market are very cheerful, Chel. It's always nice to have something to brighten a day! For me, that's a walk in warm sunshine with our dog, a big blue sky and trees!

    I haven't purchased masks but am beginning to think that it may be prudent to have some so I think I'll have a go at sewing one and see how it turns out.

    Meg

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...