Sunday 2 August 2020

A new month


Aren't the months just flying by? We are already in August and have only one month left of our coolish weather before the heat starts up again. Our fire season here in Queensland goes from late July to February so we are already being reminded of that fact on the TV stations. I must say that even though I have been whinging a bit about the recent cold days I really enjoy the winter months as normally the mornings are cool and then we have a lovely sunny and warm day. Perfect gardening weather!

Winter flowers
As usual, on a sunny day like yesterday, after visiting the farmers' market I walked across to Queens Park to see how the gardens are progressing as they are being prepared for the upcoming Carnival of Flowers. There were lots of families there enjoying the fresh air and being out in the sun without the freezing wind we had recently. 





A lot of the pansies are flowering ....




....but the Carnival doesn't start until the 18th of September....




....so the gardeners will have their work cut out for them having all the plants looking 'just right' at that time like they always do. Over the years they have coped brilliantly with winds, heat and vandals. 



I can't wait to see what these posts are for. I thought they might be some kind of supports but there are no plants at their base. 



I do hope that the Carnival still goes ahead. Things here in Queensland are a tad concerning as three girls arrived back here from Melbourne recently and apparently lied to the Police about the fact that they had been in one of the COVID-19 hotspots in Melbourne where they attended a party and became infected and since their return another person contracted the virus after visiting one of the restaurants they had a meal in. Then that person unknowingly infected his wife who I believe works in an Aged Care home. 

We have lived in a little bubble here in Queensland with the borders closed and felt quite safe and it was a bit unsettling watching the news and seeing the hundreds of cars crossing our border when it was opened in July and again over the last couple of days when it was closed again not only to Victoria but to parts of New South Wales as well and travellers had a couple of days get here before the border closed at 1am yesterday. 

I hope everyone is keeping well. As I mentioned it is a great time here in the Australian winter to get out in the garden without being fried to a crisp.Have a wonderful week!


14 comments:

  1. I sat looking at those posts wondering what they may be for. We will just have to wait and see. I love the planting patterns they use for the carnival of flowers. I wish I had the patience and planning skills to achieve the same in my ornamental garden beds. The only pattern I plant to is called Hodgepodge. Though my flowers still give me much pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri, I will take a photo when I see what the gardeners are going to use those posts for. The gardens in the park are nothing like mine either. LOL!

      Delete
  2. I remember your previous posts about the carnival.

    Take care, Chel. I too read about the girls who came from Melbourne with COVID-19, and how one of them was still refusing to tell authorities the places she had visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nil, I think all the girls are co-operating now. This week will show if many others have been infected.

      Delete
  3. I love the cooler months too, Chel, and feel that the heat just gets started too soon! The Queens Park gardens are already looking lovely; they'll be beautiful again for carnival time, I'm sure. I love pansies. I have violas in pots and some in the garden too this year. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg I am making the most of the rest of winter 😁

      Delete
  4. The uncooperative girl is saying she mainly stayed home.....can we afford to believe that ? I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Queens Garden looks as if it's going to be looking lovely by September. I think Anna P is doing an amazing job with our borders and cracking down on people slipping through by lying. Closing the retirement villages as well and not having staff move from one to the next also has been the right thing to do. Stay safe. Kathy, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, another three chaps have returned from Melbourne and they lied on their border declaration as well. It wasn't until one of them got sick that they told the truth about where they had been. Unbelievable!

      Delete
  6. I love your vase of winter flowers. I have found this winter quite pleasant for getting gardening tasks done but we will be at our Lawson home later this week getting rid of the weeds before the council's follow up inspection. Trust my luck, we are expecting rainy weather with a maximum of 8 degrees ...that is NOT nice gardening weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not nice weather at all. We are due for rain on Friday with tomorrow and Thursday being quite warm. Still the rain will be welcome.

      Delete
  7. All those flowers are beautiful Nanna Chel. I hope the carnival goes ahead for you. Flowers bring sunshine into our lives and with spring just around the corner it wont be long and everything will be blossoming. The almond trees here have burst into blossom, they are so pretty to see.

    I have been trying to catch up on gardening before the warmth of spring and summer get here. Going away on holidays has put me behind, but at least I have something to busy myself with on the lovely sunshiny days.

    Have a lovely Sunday,
    xtania

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tania, I read yesterday that there had been snow at Wilpena Pound. That is amazing! My sister used to live at Hawker many years ago. I don't think she ever saw snow there. It is cold here today but it is forecast to be 24C on Friday so we will warm up soon too I am sure.,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...