Tuesday 18 August 2020

Parks and a birthday

I had a birthday recently and met up with my friends over a period of a week and one of the venues we visited was Picnic Point which is a great place to visit if you are ever in Toowoomba.

Birthday flowers looking a tad out of focus 😳
Picnic Point is situated on top of the Toowoomba Range and is a popular place with both locals and tourists. 



The waterfall is running at the moment and there is a walking trail down at the bottom. There are several walking trails around Picnic Point with different degrees of difficulty. 


The Q150 flagpole which is 45 metres high and which can be seen from all over town has a big hole in it but the wind was blowing so hard it wasn't noticeable.


The gardens will be featured during the Carnival of Flowers next month and are cordoned off while the plants are growing.


This is also a wedding venue so there are beautiful plants and trees growing and it is a lovely place to spend time on a sunny day.


The views from the lookout are spectacular with Tabletop in the foreground and if you are fit you can walk to the top. I am probably one of the few residents who hasn't had that adventure but I will leave it to the fitter members of the community I think. LOL!


This is the water tower which 'towers' over the restaurant area 😀


Last week I paid a visit to the Toowoomba Women's Shed which I heard about the night before on the local news. Some other ladies had watched the same segment and had turned up to help with making masks. I spoke to one of the ladies there for the first time and she let me take her photo while unpicking as she was new to mask making. I am sure I would have been doing the same thing if I was trying to help too but I was only there to take some photos so I could let other locals know about the Shed. It is held behind the Lifeworks church which is near the corner of Hursley Road and Boundary Street if anyone wants to help out with the sewing. You can buy masks there for $3.



They make two layered...


...and three layered ones but I think the thicker the better as long as you can breathe in them. I have been doing some research about face masks and will be doing a blog post about them soon as a friend from Sydney sent me one which is unlike the rectangular ones and has a pocket for an insert. 




The ladies also make quilts and I did see a couple of them sewing bags as well and there were bags of  knitted teddy bears so if you live in the region and want some company while you sew, knit or crochet the shed would be a great place to meet up on a Tuesday or Thursday. 

I hope everyone is keeping well during these crazy times. We feel fairly safe here in Queensland but feel for our fellow Aussies in the southern states and also for those overseas countries where there are large numbers of people who are very sick with COVID-19. 









9 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Chel.
    A women's shed is a great idea.
    The Tabletop looks like something I would have enjoyed climbing when I was younger.
    I made it to the top of Mount Tibrogargan when I was in my teens.
    Is the real estate buzzing in your neck of the woods? Seems like every man and his dog has decided to make a move away from the city. It must be a nice time to be a real estate agent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri, yes I think the real estate sector is doing very well at the moment. I have even heard of families relocating to Queensland from Melbourne. That's a big move I must say.

      Delete
  2. Chel, I look forward to your post about making masks with pockets.
    Recently I received free masks from the library, but they don’t fit me well. They are made of white t-shirt like material and look a bit like diapers. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nil, yes it looks like some masks are fairly ineffectual so I like the advice given by The Fabric Patch as they have made thousands of masks in the US.

      Delete
  3. Happy belated birthday to you, Chel. The flowers are lovely! It's forecast to be 28C here today, feeling like Spring already so much to do in the garden. Love that there's a women's shed! MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. Yes I can feel it warming up already today at 7.30am. We still have some cool mornings coming up though so winter isn't quite over up here on the Range.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday to you... I saw the same thing on the news about making the face masks in the shed. Looks like the flowers in Toowoomba are going to be as lovely as ever too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday Chel, I think it's a great idea to celebrate over a whole week. Birthdays are special. Picnic Point is such a unique place, and when we visit there, my hubby loves to tell the stories of how he climbed all around there when he was growing up. I've seen lots of reports about making masks and there are so many types about now. It will be interesting to see the style of the ones you write about. Hope you are well, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday. I hope the carnival can go ahead now there are cases appearing in Qld again. You guys have as many cases as NSW at the moment though to listen to your premier you would think we are all diseased down here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...