Sunday 17 January 2021

Time is moving along

 Well, here we are in the middle of January already. I find it is hard to keep track of the days since I retired as my life used to revolve around the school year. Some days I wake up and have to spend time trying to work out what the date is. LOL! However, regardless of whether we remember the day or date, time moves on and today I thought I would take stock of what I have been up to lately as I am dreadful at keeping a diary but can always look back at my blog and see what has been going on in a certain month. 




As COVID-19 restrictions stand in Queensland at the moment we are able to resume our Simple Living Toowoomba workshops next month and will be starting with a workshop presented by ....





....Racheal from Birdsong Market Garden who will be talking about DIY Cleaning and Personal Products. 



I have two craft items on the go at the moment. One is a beanie for the homeless in winter... 




...and the other is a scarf. I find that the bulky knit is great for loom knitting as you can just use the one strand unlike when using 8ply yarn. I was able to stock up on the bulky knit yarn at a recent Lincraft sale. All the loom knitted items will be given to one of our organisations that work with the homeless in our city. I don't think anyone who finds themselves in that situation will be too worried about how well the item is knitted thankfully.





I planted some pumpkin seeds a while ago and was very excited to see how well this plant was doing....THEN!



Sadly, this is what it looks like NOW! Anyway, all is not lost as I got a lovely surprise this past week when I opened the front door and found a ....


...very healthy looking pumpkin on the table which had been left by a friend who obviously has more pumpkin growing success than I do. I did notice though that a couple of really healthy pumpkin plants were growing in the compost heap but someone, who won't be named, has since covered them with grass clippings after the jungle of a lawn was mowed ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ



The silliness regarding hoarding toilet paper started again recently and this photo was taken in a Coles store last week. I do wonder what some people are thinking though as toilet paper is manufactured in Australia and there is plenty of it to go around. It was even more silly seeing as if we weren't even in lockdown but Greater Brisbane was after a cleaner in a quarantine hotel became  infected and then passed the virus on to her husband. There was a lockdown for three days and I think that just before it began a lot of people in the lockdown area flocked to other areas to enjoy a long weekend as the highways were very busy ๐Ÿ˜‰ Typical Aussies! Most of the COVID positive cases in Australia seem to be returned travellers in quarantine. 

We have had a couple of hot days but a cool change has arrived which I really like. Tomorrow it may rain once again but we will see. The lawn seems to grow a couple of inches every day but we always appreciate the rain and the benefits it brings. 

Have a wonderfully joyful week everyone.






8 comments:

  1. Well I am glad you have a pumpkin! Mine are growing as usual from compost I spread under the citrus trees. This year apparently is a good year for butternuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have planted some butternuts. One is doing well. Hopefully I will get at least a couple in the end ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  2. We have a compost pumpkin growing happily here too! The ones we planted didn't take. We are still getting used to this climate and the growing seasons. Its a dry week here this week, but our grass has been growing before our very eyes too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you, Emma. Your little girl must be growing so fast. Pumkins like growing in compost heaps I am sure ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  3. Time waits for no-one's permission to come and go, lol. So best catch it when you can! Dave was due to visit Brisbane, the weekend of the lock-down. But he had to cancel. Fortunately, I stocked up on toilet paper, by simply buying a bulk pack, once a week, prior to the recent panic.


    I had one of our pumpkins recently, and it cooked and mashed perfectly! What I love about the Kent pumpkin, is the skin is so easy to peel, and it's usually a manageable size. It's my favourite pumpkin. Butternut, comes a close second. Although I think they call it a Butternut Squash, in the US. Which tends to confuse me a little, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, I will be cooking mine this week. Thanks so much. I have one growing near the compost heap so hopefully it survives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those pumpkins look wonderful! Lovely new projects in the make. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Monique. I am into loom knitting at the moment as I find it easier than knitting with needles.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...