Sunday 31 January 2021

First batch of soap for 2021

 Recently I got the urge to make a batch of soap and seeing as I hadn't used my loaf mould for a couple of years I decided to do the 'hanger swirl' which you may have read about in the blog post The Hanger Swirl in 2017. It turned out a lot darker than I had hoped but not as dark as it looks in the photos. 



I had to do a refresher course on how to do the swirl and watched a couple of YouTube videos on the Eve's Garden Soaps channel where the most beautiful looking soaps are made. The presenter makes it look a lot easier than it is but it is worth a try if you have had a little experience with making your own soap. You just have to use a wire hanger for the swirl. 



This was my first attempt which I was quite pleased with but wanted to try something different this time which didn't exactly turn out as I had hoped but it will do the job just the same regardless of what it looks like of course. 



Years ago I used to use Rice Bran Oil a lot in my soaps so bought some new oil to start off the year. The fragrance oil I used was Japanese Cherry Blossom and it has a lovely fragrance unlike the last one I used Bohemian Dream which was too strong for my liking. I used several micas including pink, blue, green and also Annatto Red for the yellowish colouring. 

As I like to keep a record of the recipe I used here it is:

345g Olive Oil
450g Rice Bran Oil
330g Coconut Oil
159g Lye
428g Water
35g   Fragrance Oil

A friend who sells her soap uses cold lye and then she puts her finished soap into the fridge so that it doesn't get too hot. So I made up my lye mixture the night before and in the morning melted my coconut oil in the sun before adding it to the other oils. Then I stirred in the lye mixture and bought it to a light trace as it was going to take me a while to divide up the mixture in order to add the colours. If you try this and want to add an essential oil or fragrance oil you need to work quickly as some of them accellerate trace and you don't want a thick mixture to work with for this method.




After the loaf mould was full I added some blue cornflower petals that I had dried a couple of years ago. I couldn't put it into the fridge as there was no room so I added an ice brick to a cooler bag and kept it cool for 24 hours before taking it out of the bag. I then left it for a couple of days although it was so tempting to unmould it too soon in order to see what the pattern was like. Once that was done though and the soap was cut I was disappointed as I wanted more muted tones but next time I will use less mica in each jug as I think I used 1/2 teaspoon this time which was too much. You live and learn as they say. 

This is the last day of January and like in previous years so far it hasn't been a terribly hot summer unlike spring and it is as if the seasons have swapped over. We have had showers at times so I guess that has cooled things down somewhat. Mind you, it is 41C up in the Outback so we are fortunate to live in the cooler area of south east Queensland. I don't envy my grandchildren dealing with that kind of heat every day. 


Have a great week everyone!















16 comments:

  1. The soaps look great I'm sure they will come in very handy and experimenting can be fun. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. Sometimes I enjoy the challenge of trying something different in soapmaking.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful soaps, Chel.
    Last year I didn't make soap at all. I still have soaps made in 2019. Hopefully I'll make some sometime this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nil, since our son left home I haven't had to make as much soap. If I was on my own making a batch once a year would probably be plenty.

      Delete
  3. Your soaps look so professional and attractive Chel and I'm sure they smell nice as well. One day if I get back to Toowoomba it would be nice to buy a couple from you. They must be so soft to use with all of that oil in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to buy any, Pauline. I will give you some 😁

      Delete
  4. Pretty, Nana Chel; and I love the blue cornflower petals you topped them with. Hmmm, the Japanese Cherry Blossom scent sounds lovely-might order some of that.
    It's so hard not to unveil your creation as soon as you can. Maybe the colors will fade with time? They are really nice, though.
    Mary in San Diego

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. I think the colours will fade a little. Yes the scent is lovely and not overpowering.

      Delete
  5. I love the colours in your soaps, Chel. Bars of soap make such lovely gifts. Meg🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, haven't seen you around lately. Hope all is well.

      Delete
  6. They still look pretty but more import functional. You inspire me to have a go. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bernie, yes do have a go at making soap. It isn’t that hard. Just treat the lye with respect and you will be fine.

      Delete
  7. You'll always get me in with a good soap making post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are beautiful Chel. You're becoming quite the expert! Love them. Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the soap is stunning! Most times for me things dont turn out how I think they will but often still really good.... then I can never get it to happen again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...