Tuesday 23 February 2021

Pineapples and Dahlias

 I have been very neglectful lately where blogging is concerned. The weeks seem to fly by and we are now almost at the end of a relatively mild summer weather wise although as I type this I can hear thunder around and severe storms have been forecast due to the hot and humid weather of the past two days. The forecast 'wet summer' didn't eventuate in this area anyway although we have had a few heavy showers that have resulted in the many dahlia bulbs in the front garden  showing their 'true colours' so to speak. 

Actually it is a bit of a jungle in that garden and the dahlias are even growing on the pathways. 




Once they have stopped flowering I will move them off the paths as I have almost fallen while trying to get past them. One of the joys of getting older seems to be a loss of balance on uneven ground. 




My hubby loves dahlias and has planted a lot of them over the years and they look resplendent when we have good rainfall. 



The bees love them and lots of people walking past comment on them as they are so pretty.


6/12/2020

I discovered last December that we had a pineapple growing and I took the above photo on the 6th December....


23/2/2021

....and here's what it looks like today on the 23nd February. It is probably about five or six inches in height so I don't think it will end up being very big but there are five pups growing on it. The young chap up the road who grows them in his front garden told me to plant the pups once the pineapple is ripe and they should produce in two years which is a tad quicker than this one which was planted about four years ago but it isn't in full sun which is probably why it has taken so long to grow. 




So spurred on by my one pineapple out of about eight that had produced fruit hubby came home from the Farmer's Market with ten pineapple tops for me to plant. I just wish he hadn't paid for them 😏




So I thought I would experiment with them and put some of them in water till they grew roots....



...and then planted them in pots...


...and the rest I planted in the soil. I will move the pots around in winter so that they catch the most sun and also so as to avoid any frosts we may have if it is a cold winter. It will be interesting to see how long it takes before we see any pineapples if indeed we ever do. Mind you, I am not all that fond of pineapples and prefer some of the other fruits but it fun to try and grow them as we don't live in an area which is known for growing pineapples. 🍍




I have made a few more scarves and beanies for the homeless to wear during our cold winter nights.


 I think it will be a few months down the track before it gets that chilly but I should have quite a few contributions by then. 

Have a wonderful week!




8 comments:

  1. Pineapple propagating - how interesting. I'm not sure pineapples would do well this far south. As usual your flower photos are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil, it is a wonder they grow here as pineapples grow well on the Sunshine Coast where it is warmer.

      Delete
  2. I still find it hard to believe a pineapple takes 2 years to grow..hard to be a pineapple farmer with that turn around. The beanies will come in very handy for those in need. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, the pineapple farmers probably have a few tricks up their sleeves to hasten their harvests.

      Delete
  3. Chel your dahlias are beautiful, I don't think we can grow them here. I always so admire the beautiful flowers you grow in Toowoomba. You really do beautiful knitting as well. It's been too hot here to even think about it lately, but I would like to give knitting a beanie a go when it gets cooler. Perhaps any homeless here in Mackay could use them in Winter, it still gets quite chilly. I will look into how to get items to them, perhaps through the church. Would you mind telling me which pattern you use for your beanies and your scarves. Once Easter arrives we should have a nice change of season making it cooler for knitting. Take care in the garden, it is so easy to trip over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline I will email you the link to the Youtube video I watched.

      Delete
  4. Such joy from those flowers with such lovely colours. I just bought crochet hooks to learn how to make some simple things for winter. My goal for learning new things this year. Your beanies look warm. Cheers p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bernie, I haven't done any crochet for a while but I did use the Tunisian Crochet stitch for some dishcloths and they are the only ones that haven't gone out of shape.

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...