Monday 9 August 2021

At long last

It took a long time but at last the pineapple which started growing last December was finally ripe and we were able to pick it. It wasn't as flavoursome as I had expected it to be but it wasn't sour thankfully. It was much more yellow than the pineapples that are on sale at the fruit shops which are still green and some of them are quite sour.  


I wanted to pull all the rest of the pineapple plants out but my hubby said to leave them so we will see if we get any pineapples from them. This one was not in full sun which is probably why it took four years or so to grow. 




We have about another dozen growing and some of those are in full sun so it will be interesting to see if they produce pineapples any quicker if at all. 



When at the Farmers' Market a couple of weeks ago I crossed over the road to Queens Park to see how the gardens were looking as the Carnival of Flowers starts at the beginning of next month. It goes from the 1st to 30th September if anyone is interesting in visiting at that time. As you can see in the above photo the hedge in this garden which I think is French inspired was hit badly by the recent frost that hit our area. We lost several plants as it was quite severe. 



If you do visit this garden check out the pathway when you leave it to move into the rest of the park. 



Some of the flowers are already blooming and I imagine it is always a bit of a challenge for the gardeners to have the parks looking as perfect as possible for the Carnival. Seeing as the event goes for the whole month this year instead of ten days it will definitely be a challenge. 



In the past the gardeners have had to deal with hot weather, westerly winds and vandals but despite the setbacks they still produce stunning gardens as they would have lots of plants growing at their nursery to fill in the spots where the plants are damaged. 

At this stage Brisbane and surrounding areas have just come out of lockdown of which we were not a part thankfully so all being well the Carnival will still go ahead unlike the Brisbane EKKA which had to be cancelled for the second year which caused great disappointment to our farmers who show their animals and produce at the show. 

I am sorry I haven't caught up with my blogger friends' latest posts. I am still using my old iPad which refuses to allow me to view my Blogger Reading List as it is so outdated and I really need to start using my new one which I bought last year when iPads were as scarce as hens' teeth in some of the stores. I really hate throwing out devices that still work....sort of. It is such a waste. 

Have a great week everyone!





 

4 comments:

  1. Pineapples are amazing aren't they that they take so long to grow. Generally 2 years. 2 years to grow a pineapple and we can eat it in 20 minutes. Crazy stuff. As you mentioned we just finished our 8 day lockdown and when these are over I never go out and get back to normal as I'm always cautious just in case. We will be taking our Mum out this week after she has only been out once in the last 6 weeks as aged care was in lockdown a while back when the airline hostess and the guy from Byron Bay put us into a 4 day lockdown. Very scary now that kids are getting Covid and you can see how quickly Delta spreads. Thank goodness we got on top of it however that can change in 2 weeks from now and I guess we all have to remember life is not normal the world is still in the middle of a Pandemic so it's just the way it has to be at the moment. Take care hopefully all those beautiful flowers will be blooming. Actually last night I was watching a little movie clip from our visit to the Toowoomba Flowers in 2017 that phone had put together. Have a good week. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, that must have been hard for you and your Mum. Hopefully there won't be any more lockdowns for a while if at all but I won't hold my breath. So far it looks like the Carnival of Flowers will go ahead like last year. It certainly will be interesting to see what happens down the track.

      Delete
  2. I see you have a lot of voluneers around the base of that pineapple. If you plant those out, they will fruit within a year. That is what the local pineapple growers do up here! Hope that carnival of flowers happens. It is so important to do as many normal things as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have planted all the volunteers so hope to have a crop of pineapples sooner than the last lot. So far so good as regards the Carnival of Flowers 🌺 🌹 🌹 🌺

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...