Tuesday 27 June 2023

A learning curve

In the past few weeks, as I have been helping my older sister to get help since she fractured her wrist, I have discovered how confusing accessing the help some of the 'Providers' offer is especially for an older person.  One Provider offer this and another Provider offers something else and I wonder how a person without friends and relatives to speak on their behalf copes with the ageing process. 


So I decided to try and find out what support is State funded and what is Commonwealth funded. I think I have only scratched the surface so far but I have been able to at least make her unit more secure which is especially important as we have a high crime rate amongst our children and early teens as they are breaking into homes to steal keys to take long-saved for and much-needed cars for a joyride which often ends up with the car being torched. 



The door shield guard isn't really this grotty looking.



My sister has a personal alarm now which she can press in case she falls and so we had to find a way to make it easy for the Ambulance to access her unit if needed and a  friend told me that her mother had a Keysafe installed. I was told by either a Provider or My Aged Care to ring Yellow Bridge about getting it installed so a young chap from there met with us yesterday to talk about what is available in Queensland if you are registered with their Home Assist program. 

If you are on a pension you are probably eligible to register and be entitled to $500 a year for labour costs e.g. updating your security by installing cameras etc. The pensioner has to provide the product but there is also a one off $80 for 'materials' such as the Keysafe which cost $55 and there is $25 left over for locks or something else that might be needed. The labour cost comes out of the $500.

We learned that some of the young children breaking into homes are burning the Security Screen Door Shield Guards with a tool so that they can then loop something through the hole in the key if it is still in the security door. Then they are halfway in. We learned a few of their other tricks of trade which was quite daunting. A security check of your home is also done and suggestions are made about how security can be improved. We are signing up for Home Assist too now that we are getting older. I am not sure what is available from Yellow Bridge in other States though. 






Strange things are happening in the garden as a Day Lily is flowering at the wrong time of the year. 





Strange holes appeared in the new netting I put over the peas as they were growing through the top of the smaller netting I had on. I am wondering if it was a bird that made the hole. I think a possum would have fallen through. 




I had to take a photo of the shadows that appear in the morning. 




I am marking all the bulbs that are flowering so that I know where they are when they have died back as I want to move them. Most seem to be jonquils and I have discovered that there a number of different types of jonquils which I had never realised before. However, I think the flowers in the above photo are snowdrops. They definitely will be moved as they are growing amongst the broms. 



The leaves from the pecan nut tree have been put in a wire enclosure to make leaf mould down the track. I would love to get up the tree and cut off a few limbs but would probably fall and fracture my femur or something I guess. It seems to be what happens to older people. Now to find someone to do it who doesn't charge a small fortune. Getting old isn't for the faint hearted but we can always learn something new can't we?


Have a great week everyone!

-------------------------


3 comments:

  1. I've been covering up one veggie patch every night as I had a big bunch of parsley which all of a sudden was half eaten overnight. My Mum when she had her parsley bought some cheap round laundry baskets and would cover hers up at night because the possums or rats love parsley. The home care services for elderly people is a bit of a mind field. I know that once you get assessed to get help there may be no company available to provide the 12 hrs of cleaning or so a fortnight. The govt want people to stay in their homes longer however unless you have family or friends helping you it's very difficult. The youth crime is shocking at the moment and every night on the news it gets worse. The car that got stolen from Bulimba the other day the youth was on bail and had been charged with 94 crimes, 38 Burglary , car theft etc. seriously should be behind bars. Then the other teenager stabbed a person within a mm of his life and because he was 13 the law says he doesn't understand the crime...well he was carrying a large knife, and he stabbed an innocent person - the intention is there. Something needs to be done because they know they can steel cars, break and enter and nothing will happen to them. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that anything to do with government is very difficult. The websites are generally very bad and their forms almost incomprehensible. And if you call you are either bumped off straight away sit on the phone for most of the day waiting to get connected to a person. I am having strange flowering happening in my garden too this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea about the keys are. We will see about getting one here

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...