Sunday 7 July 2024

A Cool Holiday

Recently a school friend and I drove to my favourite holiday destination, Caloundra, for a week or so at the beach. As usual we got lost on the way but finally managed to arrive just as it was getting dark as she had been delayed by a flat battery in her car and had to wait for hours to get a new one. Well, the peak hour traffic up there is just incredible as so many people have moved to 
SE Queensland from southern states and obviously many of them trek to Brisbane each day to go to work so what used to be a nice quiet place to go for a holiday has become extremely busy. 



 
However, we still managed to relax and see a few of the locals in the above photo who were waiting for a fisherman nearby to share his catch. Talk about lazy!


Sunrise over Golden Beach

As my friend was recovering from her little car running over her leg in an accident the week before, I went for lots of walks on my own while she kept her leg elevated. Yes, you read that correctly. Somehow her leg wasn't fractured but she did pay a visit to the hospital at the beach to get it checked as the hospital in her home town didn't do an X-Ray. 



So I used to get up in the dark as it wasn't light until 6.30am and head out on my walk. It was quite chilly and everyone had parkas on . 




The Council is to be commended on the way they keep the beach and picnic areas so clean. I felt sorry for the poor chap who had to hose the footpath in the cold as he had to stop every minute or so to make way for the early morning joggers and walkers. 




The Council certainly cleans up the beach early in the day. 




Of course there are always great views of the cargo ships heading up the passage to the port of Brisbane. 




We didn't drive too far but did pay a visit to the beautiful Moffat Beach which looked stunning as usual. 




In the afternoons I would walk in the opposite direction from the morning ritual along the Boardwalk to Kings Beach where there were surfers braving the cold winter water. The children and I used to walk this track every afternoon for many years even before the Boardwalk was erected. We used to walk along the beach and rocks and hope the tide didn't come in too quickly. LOL!



The sunsets aren't as spectacular as they are in the beginning of December when we used to go to the beach when the children were at school but still they are pretty and very tranquil. The Glasshouse Mountains in the background are always impressive. 

Eventually though we had to return home and this time I think we only got lost once!




Remember when I showed you this Kawandi 'experiment' done by Neralie who used to do our sewing tutorials at our Simple Living Toowoomba group get-togethers before we disbanded. However some of the ladies wanted to stay in touch and, at the weekend, some of us met up and Neralie showed us what she has been doing in her spare time. 



This is much more colourful than it looks thanks to my getting the lighting wrong for the photo but it is all done by hand and looks beautiful.....



...this is a close up. All the ends are turned over and stitched by hand. So Neralie is going to show some of us who are interested how to make something which in my case will be very small as I am not as talented as Neralie is. 

I hope everyone is keeping well and happy. It has been cold here as we are in the middle of winter but that is the norm for our town on top of a mountain. As I said, it was even cold at the beach. I imagine those in the Northern Hemisphere are sick of the heat. Our turn will come again soon I am sure.

Have a great week wherever you live. 





4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a relaxing holiday.

    Thank you for the 'Kawandi' video, Chel. I have seen various slow stitching projects on Facebook and wanted to do one one of these days. I am going to save this YouTube video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome, Nil. I am giving this a try in a couple of weeks. Will just make a little heart I think ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Caloundra holidays when I was a kid and as you say everywhere is busy and not the same anymore. I love your photo of the pelicans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As kids we went to Redcliffe then I took my children to Caloundra each year. Bulcock Beach was a great place for the littlies to play in the water. There used to be a lot more Pelicans there. It seems the bin chickens have taken over.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...