Sunday, 27 September 2026

Overdue soapmaking

 I haven't made any soap for over a year although I did measure out the ingredients last year but wasn't motivated to actually make a batch. However, I did manage to get motivated a couple of weeks ago but, wouldn't you believe it, I made a big mistake somehow and the soap looked like it would never harden so I rebatched it and ended up with a reasonable looking soap. 


I used Rhonda's recipe from her Down to Earth book with a slight adjustment for the caustic soda as I had run the recipe through the SoapCalc calculator. We don't use a lot of soap these days and this recipe makes a big batch so it looks like I won't need to make soap for a while but I do need to use up the oils I have as I don't want them to go rancid.


When I first made the soap it had oil oozing from it and I just knew it would never harden.


So I rebatched it. You can see my second attempt at rebatching a while ago in this post. Mind you, rebatching recently made soap is a lot easier than soap that has been drying out for a while. Previously I had to hurry when filling up the soap container as it was getting lumpy but this time it was almost liquid after rebatching in the crock pot. So I was very happy. It is not the prettiest soap but I am glad I didn't have to throw it out as I thought I might have to. It should be ready to use in a few weeks so will see what it is like then. Good enough for us I daresay but I won't be giving the soap as a gift. 



During Spring there have been changes in the garden of course. The Bromeliads have nearly finished flowering....




...as have the Sweet Peas which have looked so pretty for a number of weeks and are now going to seed so that I can collect seed to plant on St.Patrick's Day next year all being well.





Now it is time for the Hippiastrums to shine. 

The Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers is still going strong and the next big event will be the annual Bush Christmas  which is well worth attending if you are in town at that time. It starts on the 18th November. 


I hope everyone is keeping well and happy and not worrying too much about the doom and gloom which is around at the moment. When you get to my age you tend to take such things in your stride. Have a great week. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...