Friday 22 November 2013

Christmas Lolly Tree

When my children were growing up we used to make a Christmas tree with wrapped lollies which were pinned onto a Styrofoam tree shape. I thought I would make one again after all these years and tried to remember how we made them.

 
 
Well, it didn't end up looking like the ones we used to make but you get the idea. If you would like to make one here are the instructions. However, I think I used to taper it a bit more and was going to take the top few rows of lollies out and redo them to shape the tree a little better but a storm came through and there was no light for taking more photos so I left it as it was.
 
 
 
You will need a Styrofoam shape for the tree, lollies in wrappers plus pins. You might also prefer to paint the tree if you have some paint available.
 
 
I found it helpful to stick in a couple of pins to hold onto while I was painting the tree.

 
Then grab your lollies and the pins and start pinning.
 
 
Start pinning rows of lollies from the bottom up. Unlike my tree, it is better to start using less lollies when you get to half way in order to shape the tree. However, if you have children helping you then yours might end up looking like mine.
 

 
I finished mine off with a little bead angel I had made a few years ago when I was into beading.
 
This is an easy Christmas decoration to make and is always very popular with visitors as well. After finishing mine I had a look on Pinterest to see if there were any lolly trees there and sure enough there were. So if you want to get some more ideas and also if you would like to find some lolly trees that actually look like trees then check these out. I think I should have checked Pinterest before starting my tree. :-)
 
Christmas Divider Photo Picture

 


14 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea. Love some of those ones on pinterest too! It is really annoying that our town doesn't have a crafty shop. The nearest Spotlight store is located in the next town an hour away :) I might suss out Cheap as Chips and see what they have got.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tania, I went to Spotlight to get the Styrofoam shape but they didn't have any and I ended up finding one at The Reject Shop so your Cheap as Chips shop might have some in stock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks lovely ~ so colourful. Have a blessed week-end x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is colourful. I had to go to a few shops to find some suitable lollies. Now I need to get them out of the house before I eat them. LOL!

      Delete
  4. Beaut idea Chel. The colours are very festive too. I suspect if I made one it wouldn't last until 1st advent! Not admitting anything haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, I ended up getting the packet of lollies from Coles and it was quite a big packet. I will probably take the tree to work and then it won't be so tempting having it here in the house.

      Delete
  5. That is really cute. I love projects I can do with the boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy to do if the boys are old enough to put the pins in although you might run out of lollies before you finish. The boys might like to try them out to make sure they are 'okay' to use. :-)

      Delete
  6. This would make one very popular from visitors that could help themselves to the lolly tree! Are they those yummy soft caramel lollies? I remember them when I lived at home but I don't see them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zena, I think these would be the same. Coles had them and I couldn't find them anywhere else. They were with their Christmas 'stuff'.

      Delete
  7. Thanks. The idea of using the pins is so smart and, yes, they boys are old enough now, 5 & 6, to sample plenty of the candies. I think I will stick to the hard ones, though, try to slow them down!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks lovely Nanna Chel. I think the lollies would melt up here. It is so hot :) We used to make wreaths with lollies and a wire coathanger when I lived in Adelaide. Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful craft! I imagine the grand kids will enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tania, unfortunately they won't be here for Christmas. I think I will take it to work and let everyone there eat the lollies.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...